Good, All-Around Shoe Needed...

Wes Crout

Guest
I need some suggestions. I am traveling to Denmark this August to begin a semester abroad as a
foreign exchange student. I will be taking one of my bikes, equipped with Crank Brothers original
Egg Beaters as pedals. I need a good, all-around shoe that is SPD compatible and able to be walked
around in. I would really like something that has a pretty recessed cleat area, so that while
walking through museums and what-not, I don't stick out like a sore (replace "sore" with "loud")
thumb. The shoes I have now are a recreational Shimano pair that are about three years old. They
have worked really well, but they do occasionally allow the cleats to scrape. (Plus, I just need an
excuse for new shoes before I go.) Is this an unavoidable occurrence? So, if anyone has any shoe
suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

Cheers,

Wes

On 3 Jun 2003 21:41:01 -0700, [email protected] (Wes Crout) from http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

>I need some suggestions. I am traveling to Denmark this August to begin a semester abroad as a
>foreign exchange student. I will be taking one of my bikes, equipped with Crank Brothers original
>Egg Beaters as pedals. I need a good, all-around shoe that is SPD compatible and able to be walked
>around in. I would really like something that has a pretty recessed cleat area, so that while
>walking through museums and what-not, I don't stick out like a sore (replace "sore" with "loud")
>thumb. The shoes I have now are a recreational Shimano pair that are about three years old. They
>have worked really well, but they do occasionally allow the cleats to scrape. (Plus, I just need an
>excuse for new shoes before I go.) Is this an unavoidable occurrence? So, if anyone has any shoe
>suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

I have a pair of AXO Filter shoes that have lasted 18 months now. They are very convenient and
mostly comfort bale while riding. They are a little heavy for walking around in, though. There are
other shoes in that style. Lake and Wellgo also make that type of "BMX" shoe, and Nashbar has the
Wellgos on sale for 20 bucks ( http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=84&subcategory=1171&bran-
d=&sku=6778&storetype=&estoreid= ). To avoid clicking you can tape a stuffed up paper towel over the
cleat when it's important to be quiet or courteous to floors.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have accepted Provolone into my life!
1:34:37 PM 4 June 2003