Good bad weather gear cables (UK)?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Howdo you 'orrible lot,

I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so far.
    The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed, self lubing 'extreme weather'
    things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up against), and they were shit. Utter
    crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble, while they lasted.

What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the time (most rides here are at
    least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to not spend silly money on
    something 'shiny', 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent cables.

Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly fits
    the description?

TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!

Shaun aRe

Tags:

2. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >
    > I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so
    > far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed, self lubing 'extreme
    > weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up against), and they were
    > shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble, while they lasted.
    >
    > What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the time (most rides here are at
    > least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to not spend silly money on
    > something 'shiny', 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent cables.
    >
    > Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > fits the description?
    >
    > TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >
    >
    > Shaun aRe
    >
    Don't waste money on the Avid cables and housing. I was not happy with them in dry Colorado and just
    went back to the cheap Shimano. I hear the Gore system is nice, but for my money, I'll just replace
    everything once or twice a year with the cheaper Shimano stuff.

--
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

3. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    |
    | Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    |
    | I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so
    | far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed, self lubing 'extreme
    | weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up against), and they were
    | shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble, while they lasted.
    |
    | What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the time (most rides here are at
    | least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to not spend silly money on
    | something 'shiny', 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent cables.
    |
    | Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    | fits the description?
    |
    | TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    |

Gore Ride-on cables. Period. Install them by the book and no worries. The cable itself is truly
    sealed from shifter to derailleur, no overlapping sleeves or crap like that. My Big Sur has a 6 y/o
    set on it (that I installed for the original owner, a noted bike abuser.) The only reason I had to
    replace the brake cable set was due to switching to V brakes from cantis.

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.478 / Virus Database: 275 -
    Release Date: 5/6/2003

4. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Guest

On Wed, 7 May 2003 12:09:33 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> blathered:

>| I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so
    >| far. Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even
    >| nearly fits the description?

>Gore Ride-on cables.

Used to swear by these, but I mainly swore at the last three sets, which all got thrown away
    prematurely. Problem was the sheath kept getting pulled into the shifter mechanism and mangled
    - to the extent I would've lost my shifting if I hadn't had the friction shift option you get
    with thumbies.

Not impressed with the Nokon cables; lots of 'cable stretch' due to the metal beads bedding in
    together - and I mean LOTS...like, make-sure-you-carry-a-pair-of-pliers lots.

XTR is the way to go, run from the shifter to the mech so the only way crap can get in is at each
    end. I've had no problems since I started doing this in January, although admittedly it's been a dry
    3-4 months.

Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

5. Nelson Binch

Nelson Binch Guest

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 7 May 2003 12:09:33 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> blathered:
    |
    | >| I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    what
    | >| I've come across so far. Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d)
    | >| anything that even nearly fits the description?
    |
    | >Gore Ride-on cables.
    |
    | Used to swear by these, but I mainly swore at the last three sets, which all got thrown away
    | prematurely. Problem was the sheath kept getting pulled into the shifter mechanism and mangled -
    | to the extent I would've lost my shifting if I hadn't had the friction shift option you get with
    | thumbies.

Some later batches lost the flare at the end of the plastic tubing that prevented this. I have no
    idea why. The cure is to heat the point of an ordinary nail with a lighter, then touch the tubing to
    it, creating the flair.

---
    __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.478 / Virus Database: 275 -
    Release Date: 5/6/2003

6. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Guest

On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:11:04 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> blathered:

>| >| I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    >what
    >| >| I've come across so far. Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d)
    >| >| anything that even nearly fits the description?
    >|
    >| >Gore Ride-on cables.
    >|
    >| Used to swear by these, but I mainly swore at the last three sets

>Some later batches lost the flare at the end of the plastic tubing that prevented this. I have no
    >idea why. The cure is to heat the point of an ordinary nail with a lighter, then touch the tubing
    >to it, creating the flair.

Good tip; if that works I'd go for the G-tex. I had one set that outlasted three rear mechs.

Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

7. > Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >
    > I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so
    > far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed, self lubing 'extreme
    > weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up against), and they were
    > shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble, while they lasted.
    >
    > What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the time (most rides here are at
    > least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to not spend silly money on
    > something 'shiny', 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent cables.
    >
    > Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > fits the description?
    >
    > TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >
    >
    > Shaun aRe

the gear pod to the mech. No bare cable means no shit getting in. Apply zip ties liberally and be
    happy. Sorted.

Small Black Dog

8. Martin

Martin Guest

On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >
    >I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of what I've come across so far.
    snip
    >
    >What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the time (most rides here are at
    >least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to not spend silly money on
    >something 'shiny', 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent cables.
    >
    >Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    >fits the description?
    >
    >TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >
    >
    >Shaun aRe
    >
    I've been using and impressed by Transfil Flying Snake cables, same principles as Avid Flak Jackets,
    but work better, may not fit with criteria of "silly money" (22 notes a set) but have resisted
    downland chalk slurry, hard welded sheep shite and clay with no ill effects cheers Martin

9. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Craig Brossman <[email protected].nospam.band.net> wrote in message
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

> > What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    time
    > > (most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    > > not spend silly money on something
    'shiny',
    > > 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    cables.
    > >
    > > Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > > fits the description?
    > >
    > > TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    > >
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > Don't waste money on the Avid cables and housing. I was not happy with
    them
    > in dry Colorado and just went back to the cheap Shimano.

Yup - aware of the probs associated with the Avids. Cheers.

> I hear the Gore system is nice,

OK - I'll look at prices for those.

> but for my money, I'll just replace everything once or twice a year with the cheaper
    > Shimano stuff.

Doesn't work that way for me I'm afraid - they just don't last that long, and performance suffers
    quite a bit after just a month or two in these conditions.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

10. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > |
    > | Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    > |
    > | I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    what
    > | I've come across so far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed,
    > | self lubing 'extreme weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up
    > | against), and they were shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble,
    > | while they lasted.
    > |
    > | What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    time
    > | (most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    > | not spend silly money on something
    'shiny',
    > | 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    cables.
    > |
    > | Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > | fits the description?
    > |
    > | TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    > |
    >
    > Gore Ride-on cables. Period. Install them by the book and no worries.
    The
    > cable itself is truly sealed from shifter to derailleur, no overlapping sleeves or crap like that.
    > My Big Sur has a 6 y/o set on it (that I installed for the original owner, a noted bike abuser.)
    > The only reason I had to replace the brake cable set was due to switching to V brakes from cantis.

OK - another vote for the Gores.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

11. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Small Black Dog <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    > >
    > > I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    what
    > > I've come across so far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed,
    > > self lubing 'extreme weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up
    > > against), and they were shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble,
    > > while they lasted.
    > >
    > > What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    time
    > > (most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    > > not spend silly money on something
    'shiny',
    > > 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    cables.
    > >
    > > Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > > fits the description?
    > >
    > > TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    > >
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >

from
    > the gear pod to the mech. No bare cable means no shit getting in. Apply
    zip
    > ties liberally and be happy. Sorted.

I already have my rear mech (the problem one) cable in 2 sections only - zip tied right past the
    last guide. Nothing gets in along the top tube end that has caused me probs, only down at the rear
    mech itself, and yes, the mech is a rubber booted one.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

12. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    time
    > >(most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    > >not spend silly money on something
    'shiny',
    > >'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    cables.
    > >
    > >Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    > >fits the description?
    > >
    > >TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    > >
    > >
    > >Shaun aRe
    > >
    > I've been using and impressed by Transfil Flying Snake cables, same principles as Avid Flak
    > Jackets, but work better, may not fit with criteria of "silly money" (22 notes a set) but have
    > resisted downland chalk slurry, hard welded sheep shite and clay with no ill effects cheers Martin

Never heard of these - I'll look 'em up. How long have you been running this set?

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

13. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 7 May 2003 12:09:33 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    > >| I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    what
    > >| I've come across so far. Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d)
    > >| anything that even nearly fits the description?
    >
    > >Gore Ride-on cables.
    >
    > Used to swear by these, but I mainly swore at the last three sets, which all got thrown away
    > prematurely. Problem was the sheath kept getting pulled into the shifter mechanism and mangled -
    > to the extent I would've lost my shifting if I hadn't had the friction shift option you get with
    > thumbies.

Hmmmm........

> Not impressed with the Nokon cables; lots of 'cable stretch' due to the metal beads bedding in
    > together - and I mean LOTS...like, make-sure-you-carry-a-pair-of-pliers lots.
    >
    > XTR is the way to go, run from the shifter to the mech so the only way crap can get in is at each
    > end. I've had no problems since I started doing this in January, although admittedly it's been a
    > dry 3-4 months.

I take it the XTR's are pricey? I'll try and find time to Google 'em.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

14. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    >>>What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    >
    > time
    >
    >>>(most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    >>>not spend silly money on something
    >
    > 'shiny',
    >
    >>>'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    >
    > cables.
    >
    >>>Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    >>>fits the description?
    >>>
    >>>TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Shaun aRe
    >>>
    >>
    >>Don't waste money on the Avid cables and housing. I was not happy with
    >
    > them
    >
    >>in dry Colorado and just went back to the cheap Shimano.
    >
    >
    > Yup - aware of the probs associated with the Avids. Cheers.
    >
    >
    >>I hear the Gore system is nice,
    >
    >
    > OK - I'll look at prices for those.
    >
    >
    >>but for my money, I'll just replace everything once or twice a year with the cheaper
    >>Shimano stuff.
    >
    >
    > Doesn't work that way for me I'm afraid - they just don't last that long, and performance suffers
    > quite a bit after just a month or two in these conditions.

Have you tried Shimano's (XTR?) cable seals? They're only $6 here in the states and they work ok for
    me -- probably not as much rain as you
    :). Just don't make the mistake that I did and assume that they last
    forever. You need to check the rubber tips for wear when you replace a cable.

David

15. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Small Black Dog <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >>>
    >>>I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    >
    > what
    >
    >>>I've come across so far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed,
    >>>self lubing 'extreme weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up
    >>>against), and they were shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble,
    >>>while they lasted.
    >>>
    >>>What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    >
    > time
    >
    >>>(most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    >>>not spend silly money on something
    >
    > 'shiny',
    >
    >>>'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    >
    > cables.
    >
    >>>Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    >>>fits the description?
    >>>
    >>>TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Shaun aRe
    >>

>
    > from
    >
    >>the gear pod to the mech. No bare cable means no shit getting in. Apply
    >
    > zip
    >
    >>ties liberally and be happy. Sorted.
    >
    >
    > I already have my rear mech (the problem one) cable in 2 sections only - zip tied right past the
    > last guide. Nothing gets in along the top tube end that has caused me probs, only down at the rear
    > mech itself, and yes, the mech is a rubber booted one.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

If it's getting in at the mech, I'd vote for GoreTex RideOn. I went to them for my rear disc
    (mechanicals) and so far it's working great -- and we've had LOTS of rain this spring :).

David

16. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Have you tried Shimano's (XTR?) cable seals? They're only $6 here in the states and they work ok
    > for me -- probably not as much rain as you
    > :). Just don't make the mistake that I did and assume that they last
    > forever. You need to check the rubber tips for wear when you replace a cable.
    >
    > David

Cheers - I'll goggle for 'em.

Shaun aRe currently working on an idea that might make cheaper cables easier to clean out
    and free up.

17. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > I already have my rear mech (the problem one) cable in 2 sections only -
    zip
    > > tied right past the last guide. Nothing gets in along the top tube end
    that
    > > has caused me probs, only down at the rear mech itself, and yes, the
    mech is
    > > a rubber booted one.
    > >
    > > Cheers!
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > If it's getting in at the mech, I'd vote for GoreTex RideOn. I went to them for my rear disc
    > (mechanicals) and so far it's working great -- and we've had LOTS of rain this spring :).
    >
    > David

Cheers - yet another shout for the Gores.

Shaun aRe

18. Martin

Martin Guest

On Thu, 8 May 2003 09:56:43 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    Snip

>> >Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    >> >fits the description?
    >> >
    >> >TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >Shaun aRe
    >> >
    >> I've been using and impressed by Transfil Flying Snake cables, same principles as Avid Flak
    >> Jackets, but work better, may not fit with criteria of "silly money" (22 notes a set) but
    >> have resisted downland chalk slurry, hard welded sheep shite and clay with no ill effects
    >> cheers Martin
    >
    >Never heard of these - I'll look 'em up. How long have you been running this set?
    >
    >Cheers!
    >
    >
    >Shaun aRe
    >
    About six months ie through the winter here. as stated above they have resisted wet downland riding,
    which consists of chalky slurry mixed with sandy mud, sheep shite and occassional forays onto salted
    roads (while no one is looking of course!). Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than
    the Clarks crap

chers Martin

19. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

(Cut and paste from google job - computer shit itself again so nothing but today's messages
    viewable......).

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"

>Never heard of these - I'll look 'em up. How long have you been running
    this
    >set?
    >
    >Cheers!
    >
    >
    >Shaun aRe
    >
    "About six months ie through the winter here. as stated above they have resisted wet downland
    riding, which consists of chalky slurry mixed with sandy mud, sheep shite and occassional forays
    onto salted roads (while no one is looking of course!)."

I looked them up - found them at wiggle for 25 quid - bit steep I thought, but might still be
    tempted..... They had another by the same folks, the Mud Lovers for about 15 quid - know anyone
    who's used those?

" Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than the Clarks crap"

So, you tried the Clarks Clim8 then? How long did it take you to go from 'Mightily impressed with
    the speed and smoothness of shifting' to 'Arrrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!' ? Heheheheh.........

"chers Martin"

Thanks Martin,

Shaun aRe

20. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > > I already have my rear mech (the problem one) cable in 2 sections
    only -
    > zip
    > > > tied right past the last guide. Nothing gets in along the top tube end
    > that
    > > > has caused me probs, only down at the rear mech itself, and yes, the
    > mech is
    > > > a rubber booted one.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers!
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > > If it's getting in at the mech, I'd vote for GoreTex RideOn. I went to them for my rear disc
    > > (mechanicals) and so far it's working great -- and we've had LOTS of rain this spring :).
    > >
    > > David
    >
    > Cheers - yet another shout for the Gores.
    >
    > Shaun aRe
    >

Shaun I shout for the Gores too - especially with gripshift where a bit of extra friction makes a
    lot of difference. The brake cables are great too, makes cable brakes feel almost like hydraulic.

Steve E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.