Good bad weather gear cables (UK)?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > If it's getting in at the mech, I'd vote for GoreTex RideOn. I went
    to
    > > > them for my rear disc (mechanicals) and so far it's working great --
    and
    > > > we've had LOTS of rain this spring :).
    > > >
    > > > David
    > >
    > > Cheers - yet another shout for the Gores.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    >
    > Shaun I shout for the Gores too - especially with gripshift where a bit of extra friction makes a
    > lot of difference. The brake cables are great too, makes cable brakes feel almost like hydraulic.
    >
    > Steve E.

    Cheers Spadie!

    Might just be able to put this off for a while, because I just made a little 'gizmo' to help with
    cleaning the gear cable while in-situ ',;~}~

    It's a tube that goes in the (cut) middle of the cable outer, and has a valveless Schrader tube
    exiting at 90 deg. There's a small tapered hole in the centre of the Schrader tube that should
    seal-fit the WD 40 red tube thing - just squirt loads in and leave to dissolve any crud, then put
    bike pump or (better yet) an airline onto it and blast the shit out the ends of the cable outer
    (where it came in), right from the middle of it. Put valve cap back on and ride.

    It may or may not work, but WTF - I _love_ making little project thingies ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - "Always thinkin' me!".
     


  2. Constant

    Constant Guest

    What about Gore ride on-cables? Sealed from shifter to derailleur.

    Constant J. NL

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>|
    >>| Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >>|
    >>| I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    >
    > what
    >
    >>| I've come across so far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good, sealed,
    >>| self lubing 'extreme weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they were up
    >>| against), and they were shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less trouble,
    >>| while they lasted.
    >>|
    >>| What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    >
    > time
    >
    >>| (most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    >>| not spend silly money on something
    >
    > 'shiny',
    >
    >>| 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    >
    > cables.
    >
    >>|
    >>| Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even nearly
    >>| fits the description?
    >>|
    >>| TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >>|
    >>
    >>Gore Ride-on cables. Period. Install them by the book and no worries.
    >
    > The
    >
    >>cable itself is truly sealed from shifter to derailleur, no overlapping sleeves or crap like that.
    >>My Big Sur has a 6 y/o set on it (that I installed for the original owner, a noted bike abuser.)
    >>The only reason I had to replace the brake cable set was due to switching to V brakes from cantis.
    >
    >
    > OK - another vote for the Gores.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Shaun aRe
    >
     
  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:53:06 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >(Cut and paste from google job - computer shit itself again so nothing but today's messages
    >viewable......).
    >
    >><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
    >
    >>Never heard of these - I'll look 'em up. How long have you been running
    >this
    >>set?
    >>
    >>Cheers!
    >>
    >>
    >>Shaun aRe
    >>
    >"About six months ie through the winter here. as stated above they have resisted wet downland
    >riding, which consists of chalky slurry mixed with sandy mud, sheep shite and occassional forays
    >onto salted roads (while no one is looking of course!)."
    >
    >I looked them up - found them at wiggle for 25 quid - bit steep I thought, but might still be
    >tempted..... They had another by the same folks, the Mud Lovers for about 15 quid - know anyone
    >who's used those?
    >
    >
    >" Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than the Clarks crap"
    >
    >So, you tried the Clarks Clim8 then? How long did it take you to go from 'Mightily impressed with
    >the speed and smoothness of shifting' to 'Arrrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!' ? Heheheheh.........
    >
    >"chers Martin"
    >
    >Thanks Martin,
    >
    > Shaun aRe
    >
    I didn't get the "mightily impressed with speed and smoothness of shifting" for more than two or
    three rides. very rapidly went on to Arrrgghh!!!!! cheers Martin
     
  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:53:06 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >" Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than the Clarks crap"
    > >
    > >So, you tried the Clarks Clim8 then? How long did it take you to go from 'Mightily impressed with
    > >the speed and smoothness of shifting' to 'Arrrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!' ? Heheheheh.........
    > >
    > >"chers Martin"
    > >
    > >Thanks Martin,
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > I didn't get the "mightily impressed with speed and smoothness of shifting" for more than two or
    > three rides. very rapidly went on to Arrrgghh!!!!! cheers Martin

    Heh - same here! When I first put them on, they shifted like PTFE coated lightning: "sha-ding!" into
    and out of every gear, effortlessly, and I was indeed mightily impressed. However, as I posted here
    at the time, I was reserving final judgement........

    Went on a club ride in the rain shortly after, and 3 hours into it, I was missing shifts and heavily
    crunching gears - thought I'd bent the mech hanger or something. Turns out the cables can't take the
    weather at all.

    Mate of mine went to the same shop and bought their last set at half price - he'd forgotten what I
    told him about them. He got half way to Silverdale (his parents place, quite a distance away) on the
    road when his shifting started going tits-up. Soon after, the rear cable jammed solid.

    I have mailed Clarkes a couple of times, and had exactly zero response. Wankers.

    Shaun aRe
     
  5. Constant

    Constant Guest

    Ah.. didn't read all replies. The gores are known. (Oops)

    The gores proved very good at my primary MTB, so I'll fit a second set on my second bike (more for
    day-to-day use).

    CJ

    Constant wrote:
    > What about Gore ride on-cables? Sealed from shifter to derailleur.
    >
    > Constant J. NL
    >
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    >> Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...
    >>> |
    >>> | Howdo you 'orrible lot,
    >>> |
    >>> | I am in need of some gear cables (inners and outers), and I'm sick of
    >>
    >>
    >> what
    >>
    >>> | I've come across so far. The last ones I'd bought (Clarks Clim-8) were supposedly good,
    >>> | sealed, self lubing 'extreme weather' things, made in England (so they knew what weather they
    >>> | were up against), and they
    >>> were
    >>> | shit. Utter crap - even the cheapest Shimano ones gave me less
    >>> trouble,
    >>> | while they lasted.
    >>> |
    >>> | What I need, are a set that won't let in crappy mud and water all the
    >>
    >>
    >> time
    >>
    >>> | (most rides here are at least wet), and that won't need constant maintenance. I'd also like to
    >>> | not spend silly money on something
    >>
    >>
    >> 'shiny',
    >>
    >>> | 'HI-TECH', or any other hype - just want some good, honest, decent
    >>
    >>
    >> cables.
    >>
    >>> |
    >>> | Any of you folks who ride in the same general conditions I do, use(d) anything that even
    >>> | nearly fits the description?
    >>> |
    >>> | TIA for you kind and sagely knowledge, errmm, good people!
    >>> |
    >>>
    >>> Gore Ride-on cables. Period. Install them by the book and no worries.
    >>
    >>
    >> The
    >>
    >>> cable itself is truly sealed from shifter to derailleur, no overlapping sleeves or crap like
    >>> that. My Big Sur has a 6 y/o set on it (that I installed for the original owner, a noted bike
    >>> abuser.) The only reason I had to replace the brake cable set was due to switching to V brakes
    >>> from cantis.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> OK - another vote for the Gores.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> Shaun aRe
    >>
    >>
    >
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...