Good bad weather gear cables (UK)?

spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > If it's getting in at the mech, I'd vote for GoreTex RideOn. I went
> > > them for my rear disc (mechanicals) and so far it's working great --
and
> > > we've had LOTS of rain this spring :).
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > Cheers - yet another shout for the Gores.
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Shaun I shout for the Gores too - especially with gripshift where a bit of extra friction makes a
> lot of difference. The brake cables are great too, makes cable brakes feel almost like hydraulic.
>
> Steve E.

Cheers Spadie!

Might just be able to put this off for a while, because I just made a little 'gizmo' to help with
cleaning the gear cable while in-situ ',;~}~

It's a tube that goes in the (cut) middle of the cable outer, and has a valveless Schrader tube
exiting at 90 deg. There's a small tapered hole in the centre of the Schrader tube that should
seal-fit the WD 40 red tube thing - just squirt loads in and leave to dissolve any crud, then put
bike pump or (better yet) an airline onto it and blast the **** out the ends of the cable outer
(where it came in), right from the middle of it. Put valve cap back on and ride.

It may or may not work, but WTF - I _love_ making little project thingies ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - "Always thinkin' me!".

What about Gore ride on-cables? Sealed from shifter to derailleur.

Constant J. NL

On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:53:06 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>(Cut and paste from google job - computer **** itself again so nothing but today's messages
>viewable......).
>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:33:22 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer"
>
>>Never heard of these - I'll look 'em up. How long have you been running
>this
>>set?
>>
>>Cheers!
>>

>>Shaun aRe
>>
>"About six months ie through the winter here. as stated above they have resisted wet downland
>riding, which consists of chalky slurry mixed with sandy mud, sheep shite and occassional forays
>onto salted roads (while no one is looking of course!)."
>
>I looked them up - found them at wiggle for 25 quid - bit steep I thought, but might still be
>tempted..... They had another by the same folks, the Mud Lovers for about 15 quid - know anyone
>who's used those?
>

>" Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than the Clarks ****"
>
>So, you tried the Clarks Clim8 then? How long did it take you to go from 'Mightily impressed with
>the speed and smoothness of shifting' to 'Arrrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!' ? Heheheheh.........
>
>"chers Martin"
>
>Thanks Martin,
>
> Shaun aRe

I didn't get the "mightily impressed with speed and smoothness of shifting" for more than two or
three rides. very rapidly went on to Arrrgghh!!!!! cheers Martin

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:53:06 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >" Previously used XTR cables but found them no better than the Clarks ****"
> >
> >So, you tried the Clarks Clim8 then? How long did it take you to go from 'Mightily impressed with
> >the speed and smoothness of shifting' to 'Arrrrrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!' ? Heheheheh.........
> >
> >"chers Martin"
> >
> >Thanks Martin,
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >
> I didn't get the "mightily impressed with speed and smoothness of shifting" for more than two or
> three rides. very rapidly went on to Arrrgghh!!!!! cheers Martin

Heh - same here! When I first put them on, they shifted like PTFE coated lightning: "sha-ding!" into
and out of every gear, effortlessly, and I was indeed mightily impressed. However, as I posted here
at the time, I was reserving final judgement........

Went on a club ride in the rain shortly after, and 3 hours into it, I was missing shifts and heavily
crunching gears - thought I'd bent the mech hanger or something. Turns out the cables can't take the
weather at all.

Mate of mine went to the same shop and bought their last set at half price - he'd forgotten what I
told him about them. He got half way to Silverdale (his parents place, quite a distance away) on the
road when his shifting started going tits-up. Soon after, the rear cable jammed solid.

I have mailed Clarkes a couple of times, and had exactly zero response. Wankers.

Shaun aRe

Ah.. didn't read all replies. The gores are known. (Oops)

The gores proved very good at my primary MTB, so I'll fit a second set on my second bike (more for
day-to-day use).

CJ