Good Bicycle Mechanics in Rochester, NY

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jul 22, 2004.

  1. I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.

    Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    with regard to service?

    Thanks,

    John

    Tags:

  2. A couple of years back when I worked around the corner from them, I
    occasionally had some minor work done at Towner's on University Ave. I
    used to go through spokes pretty quick between my weight, narrow tires
    and bad pavement around there. They replaced spokes and retrued my
    wheels a couple of times. They did a good job and were always fast
    unless they had a sudden rush of work to do. I never had anything worse
    than that that needed doing.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    > with regard to service?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

  3. Black Dragon

    Black Dragon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.

    > Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    > with regard to service?

    I've always got great and courteous service from Adam Miller's in
    Batavia.

    --
    Black Dragon /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    \ / against HTML mail and

  4. Don

    Don Guest

    my two choices are West Side...Sugars Bike Shop in Spencerport.

    East & Southeast- Geneva Bicycling Center
    in Geneva.
    Superb and
    fair on pricing.

    Both of these places are run by cyclists who really RIDE. So, they know
    what they are doing

    Sugar is a 2nd generation cyclist. His dad rode a lot and started and ran
    the shop until last year when son took it over
    when dad retired.

    Cheers

    don

    "Black Dragon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:tS%[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.

    > > Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    > > with regard to service?

    > I've always got great and courteous service from Adam Miller's in
    > Batavia.
    >
    > --
    > Black Dragon /"\ ASCII ribbon

    campaign
    > \ / against HTML mail

    and
    > Hell, rocket science isn't even rocket science. X postings.
    > A NASA Rocket Scientist; Undernet; circa 1996 / \

  5. <[email protected]> wrote
    > I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.
    > Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    > with regard to service?

    Roger, the owner and sole employee of Freewheeler's on Mt. Hope (south
    of downtown, near the U of R and right next to Rowe Photo, if that
    helps) is a quick mechanic and exceedingly honest. He's old-school and
    keeps his job, I think, solely because of his love of bikes and his
    desire to get people into biking by making it fun and affordable: he
    told me once he makes about $4.50/hr from the shop. He likes to talk
    (I've "wasted" many a pleasant 30 or 45 minutes in his shop chatting)
    but is socially aware and won't keep you if you're in a hurry, and he
    will engage your interest in biking with his discussion.

    He's often given me free work (free tuneups for life if you buy a bike
    there) or parts where he felt it was the right thing to do, and when he
    charges, it is a reasonable price.

    Address: 1757 Mount Hope Ave, Rochester, NY 14620
    Phone:(585) 473-3724
    Hours: Open 6 days a week (closed Monday) until 6:00

    -Brendon "not affiliated with the shop, but a very satisfied customer"

  6. Thanks Don,

    I finally took the bike in to Sugars and was favorably impressed as
    well.

    Thanks for the input!

    John

  7. Andy Levy

    Andy Levy Guest

    On 7/22/2004 10:42 PM, [email protected] wrote:

    > I need some work done on a hybrid bike in the Rochester, NY area.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any good experiences with any of the LBS's
    > with regard to service?

    I haven't had to go in for service yet as we just bought our bikes a
    couple weeks ago, but I've been very pleased in my dealings with Geneva
    Bicycle Center.

    Towpath Bike Shop on (in?) Schoen Place also seemed pretty good when I
    visited.

    --
    -andy

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/ --- [email protected]