Good bicycling mag?

Ears

Guest
I subscribe to Bicycling magazine- filled with ads for outlandishly
expensive bikes and accessories and a few articles on racing and
riding. Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
riding? I ride on and off road.

Any suggestions? Happy and safe riding to all!

On Sep 3, 12:43 pm, Ears <[email protected]> wrote:
> I subscribe to Bicycling magazine- filled with ads for outlandishly
> expensive bikes and accessories and a few articles on racing and
> riding. Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
> riding? I ride on and off road.
>
> Any suggestions? Happy and safe riding to all!

It's kind of expensive, but I like the British mag Cycling Plus. They
have good product reviews, riding and training articles, and don't
only pay attention to $5K+ bicycles. Lots of good touring articles,
too. You can find it at Barnes&Noble. I agree, Buycycling leaves a lot
to be desired. They re-hash the same stuff over and over.

Smokey

"Ears" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
> riding? I ride on and off road.

Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00. You
can also see it on-line here: http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved the
article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:43:54 -0700, Ears <[email protected]>
wrote:
>I subscribe to Bicycling magazine

Poor you!

>- filled with ads for outlandishly
>expensive bikes and accessories and a few articles on racing and
>riding. Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
>rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
>riding? I ride on and off road.
>
>Any suggestions? Happy and safe riding to all!

I enjoy Adventure Cycling and Bicycle Quarterly. Both of these have a
different slant than what Buycycling does, and I do very few
long-distance tours or randonees, but I still enjoy them.

IMHO, every (American) cyclist should subscribe to Buycycling for 1-2
years. They have about that much good material, even though it's
buried in breathless reviews of titanium screws and aerodynamic carbon
tubes. After the first two years, you'll see the good stuff recycled,
so you can save your money.

Pat

Email address works as is.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Ears" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
>> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
>> riding? I ride on and off road.

> Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00. You
> can also see it on-line here: http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved the
> article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
> http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

I'll second that recommendation.

I particularly enjoy David Hay's column about
the legal aspects of cycling, and Omar Bhimji's
column about the mechanical aspects.

Robin Wheeler's gardening column is surprisingly
germane to the topic of cycling.

Ulrike Rodriguez has been almost everywhere,
and reading her travel accounts are like
listening to her in person. Her insightful
descriptions make one feel like they're
right there in those places, with all 5 or 6
or 7 senses at work. She's also a damned good
photographer.

Lately there have been some Rolling Stone-style
interviews with the likes of Joe Breeze and
Gary Fisher. I hope sometime they'll interview
Ned Overend, John Tomac, and especially
Kris Holm -- not so much from a mountain-biking/
competitive angle, but from a cycling-as-part-
of-lifestyle one.

There's also reviews of bicycling vids & books.

The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
in the current issue.

All of the contributors to, and maintainers of
Momentum are wonderful people who make the world
go 'round, and produce an entertaining, informative
and thought-provoking magazine about plain ol'
ordinary regular folks happily riding bikes of
all sorts, for all reasons.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:01:02 -0700, Smokey wrote:

> It's kind of expensive, but I like the British mag Cycling Plus. They
> have good product reviews, riding and training articles, and don't only
> pay attention to $5K+ bicycles. Lots of good touring articles, too. You
> can find it at Barnes&Noble. I agree, Buycycling leaves a lot to be
> desired. They re-hash the same stuff over and over.

British magazines of this type are usually better than American ones. The
writing isn't as slick but it hasn't had the soul sucked out of it
either.

Matt O.

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:18:07 -0700, Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Ears" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
>> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
>> riding? I ride on and off road.

> Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00. You
> can also see it on-line here: http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved the
> article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
> http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

From the website it looks good. I'll have to look for this one on the
newsstand!

Matt O.

On Sep 3, 7:21 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>

> > "Ears" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >>Is there a magazine that caters to the more casual, universal
> >> rider with a modest income and also more articles about real world
> >> riding? I ride on and off road.

> > Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00. You
> > can also see it on-line here:http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved the
> > article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
> >http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

> I'll second that recommendation.

<snipped>

> The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
> in the current issue.

http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh

That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
experience, IMO/E.

<snipped>

If you live on the east coast of the USA and you can put up with awful
spelling and grammar, try The Ride: East Coast Bike Culture. It kind of
fits the specs you presented. But seriously, some of the articles are so
poorly written that you will have to read them several times to understand
the point. Also, if you're a REALLY casual rider, but you like long, scenic
path rides, subscribe to Rails To Trails Magazine.

On Sep 5, 2:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle ...
> I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
> volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides.

Most charity rides are probably great for the rider and volunteers.
One possible downside (different from the point of the article you
were referring to) is that the ride may also do very little, if
anything, to raise money for the nominal charity/cause. It's not
necessarily due to fraud, but simply inefficiency (though gross
inefficiency directed in certain ways can be tantamount to fraud).

A few years ago, I "sponsored" a co-worker for a big name, high
publicity, multi-day charity ride where each rider had to pledge on
the order of a thousand of dollars just to participate. Unbeknownst
to my co-worker, those of us who sponsored him essentially subsidized
his wonderful cycling vacation because the vast majority of money
raised went for putting on the ride itself. Very little money
actually went to the cause.

So before participating in a charity ride, especially one where you
solicit monetary contributions from your friends and family, it'd be
good to check to see if it's a worthwhile application of their
generosity. If you want to treat it just as a cycling vacation and
pay the pledge amount yourself, no worries, knock yourself out.

>> > Momentum might be up your alley. Three year US subscription is $75.00.
>> > You
>> > can also see it on-line here:http://www.momentumplanet.com/. I loved
>> > the
>> > article, A Field Guide to Vancouver Cyclists:
>> >http://www.momentumplanet.com/features/field-guide-vancouver-cyclists.

>> I'll second that recommendation.
>>

> <snipped>
>>
>> The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
>> in the current issue.

> http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh
>
> That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
> charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
> stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
> negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
> volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
> might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
> But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
> something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
> The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
> experience, IMO/E.

Years ago , I rode many an MS ride, and all the other disease rides. Had
some fun. I never raised any money to
speak of. I would just pay the ride entrance fee. Usually around $20 bucks
or something.

Then, the rides started getting more expensive. They wanted me to raise
$$$$$ ..

As much as I liked the rides, the people, etc it just became tiresome to try
and raise money.

So, I stopped riding the charity rides.

A couple of years back, a friend of mind got involved in the Mass Challenge
ride. This ride goes across Mass in middle of August. She
had to almost start a business to raise the money. Thousands,, she had a
Christmas fund raiser, a summer fund raiser,, and even then I got emails
asking for more money.

This is a very worthy ride. The money goes toward Cancer research. Almost
every penny.

But I can't ride. Why? Because I can't raise thousands of dollars.

How does this make me feel? Pretty bad.

I wish these rides, and the ride organizations would start to consider that
not everyone can raise thousands of dollars.

On Sep 5, 6:43 pm, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >> I'll second that recommendation.

> > <snipped>

> >> The Great Sheldon Brown has a contribution
> >> in the current issue.

> >http://tinyurl.com/2ulpfh

> > That "contribution" is a short article with a very negative take on
> > charity rides (Tour de Cure, MS150, Aids Ride, etc). I've seen similar
> > stuff from this individual before, and I must ask "why all the
> > negativity"? I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a
> > volunteer, and I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers
> > might pick poor routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.
> > But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing
> > something positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge.
> > The high percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
> > experience, IMO/E.

> Years ago , I rode many an MS ride, and all the other disease rides. Had
> some fun. I never raised any money to
> speak of. I would just pay the ride entrance fee. Usually around $20 bucks
> or something.
>
> Then, the rides started getting more expensive. They wanted me to raise
> $$$$$ ..
>
> As much as I liked the rides, the people, etc it just became tiresome to try
> and raise money.
>
> So, I stopped riding the charity rides.
>
> A couple of years back, a friend of mind got involved in the Mass Challenge
> ride. This ride goes across Mass in middle of August. She
> had to almost start a business to raise the money. Thousands,, she had a
> Christmas fund raiser, a summer fund raiser,, and even then I got emails
> asking for more money.
>
> This is a very worthy ride. The money goes toward Cancer research. Almost
> every penny.
>
> But I can't ride. Why? Because I can't raise thousands of dollars.
>
> How does this make me feel? Pretty bad.
>
> I wish these rides, and the ride organizations would start to consider that
> not everyone can raise thousands of dollars

But, OTOH, accepting riders who only come up with the $20-40
"registration fee" actually costs the charity money, thus diverting
funds away from the "cause". IMO, charity rides requiring a ~$20-40
"registration fee" and a fund raising minimum of ~$100-150 for a one
day event (such as the Tour de Cure) are on the right track. Multi-day
events cost more and rightly should have higher minimums. YMMV.

In rec.bicycles.misc [email protected] wrote:

> The donation money the riders raise ALL goes to the MS Society. I
> don't have the exact figures right here right now, but the breakdown is
> roughly like this: about 10% goes to fundraising (okay, maybe part of
> that bit goes into the ride); about 15% is for administrative expenses
> (rent, utilities, salaried staff, etc.); around 25% goes to research (such
> as the study that recently identified a gene that is one cause of the
> disease); the final 50% goes to programs to benefit people with MS, paying
> for anything from medications (MS meds are staggeringly expensive, take it
> from one who knows first-hand!) to wheelchairs to scholarships.

In the interest of accuracy, I looked up the actual numbers. In the
case of this event, donations received by the MS Society are utilized in
these amounts:
5% administrative
12% fundraising
31% national programs & research
52% local programs.

Bill

__o | Blind faith in your leaders--or in anything--
_`\(,_ | will get you killed.
(_)/ (_) | --Bruce Springsteen

But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing something
positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge. The high
percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying experience,
IMO/E.<<<<<<

I agree that charity rides offer "casual riders," as well as more serious
riders, a rare opportunity to do something positive while pedaling away.
However, as a former marshall for the Long Island MS Rides, I have to say
that some of what I saw on those rides was downright dangerous and
irresponsible on the part of the organizers.

As the "ride marshall," I assumed my job was to acompany the pack and make
sure everyone made it safely through the course and stayed hydrated, etc.
I'm not sure the organizers had the same idea of what a marshall does, but I
know they didn't assign anyone ELSE to that job. Therefore, I was, by
default, responsible for the well-being of hundreds of cyclists, many of
whom hadn't taken their bikes out of the garage since the previous year's MS
Ride.

Like any typical charity ride, the low-impact route of the MS Ride generally
attracts a wide array of cyclists ranging from angry geeks who want to show
off how fast they can finish the route to much more laid-back folks who
prefer to take their time, see the sights, chat with other riders, etc.
Also in the mix are some really out-of-shape people who either got in over
their heads or are out to achieve a personal goal. These are the people who
end up needing a marshall's help.

Both years I participated in the ride, I ended up taking almost seven hours
to complete a course that was, I believe, no more than 25 miles. This is
because I had to keep doubling back to pick up riders who had fallen way
behind the pack. And in the end, both years, I ended up roughing it out
with the very last rider, who, in both cases, didn't have a water bottle,
hadn't eaten a proper breakfast that morning, and was riding a bicycle that
should have been turned into a planter years before.

I have great memories of coaching both these people through the last miles
of the ride. One was a senior citizen who had made a bet with his son that
he could finish the ride. The other was a very overweight,
mentally-challenged kid riding an adult trike. At the end of the rides, I
let them cross the finish line before me so that it would look like they
didn't finish last. But it didn't matter, because both years, by the time
we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
already gone.

Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave, and
the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
poor guys.

Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some dangerous
gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short routes
go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

On Sep 10, 2:49 pm, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
> we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
> already gone.
>
> Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
> allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave, and
> the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
> When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
> poor guys.
>
> Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some dangerous
> gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short routes
> go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
> themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
> it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

You made this same post about a week ago, complete with the same
unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?

unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?<<<<<<

Because I noticed that no one was adding to my other thread, while this one
continued to generate comments. Sorry, but I guess I was feeling lonely.

Regarding the "unacknowledged snipping," I'm not sure what you mean. But if
I offended you, my apology.

news:[email protected]...

On Sep 11, 9:21 am, "Papa Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> unacknowledged snipping of my original text. Why the repetition?<<<<<<
>
> Because I noticed that no one was adding to my other thread, while this one
> continued to generate comments. Sorry, but I guess I was feeling lonely.

Nothing worse than an unrequited troll, eh?

> Regarding the "unacknowledged snipping," I'm not sure what you mean. But if
> I offended you, my apology.

Well, your snipping pretty much changed the entire context of my
comments, which were made in reference to a very negative article
about charity rides which appeared in Momentum magazine. And the
negativity in that article had alnost no relation to your caveats
about the two MS150s you "marshalled" in.

<remainder snipped for brevity>

none

to me they are written by people that do not ride bicycles--go thru them all
when i have nothing to do--coffee shops bookstores here in nyc carry
them--most to me seem to be like BMX magazines

i ask bikers about their equiptment when i see something that looks like it
works

hth
peter

news:p[email protected]...