good bike for beginner

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
hey...
Ok, so I have a decent bike that I ride, but now my boyfriend, a beginner, wants a bike too. He basically wants to go riding with me and to keep in shape. He's not opposed to buy used, but I'm not sure what are the most important things to consider are for him. I am an amateur and had help getting my bike, so I'm not sure where to start in buying him a bike. I've looked at a few used bikes, but it's hard to judge if they are a deal or not. Any tips would be appreciated.

TrekCyclerChic said:
hey...
Ok, so I have a decent bike that I ride, but now my boyfriend, a beginner, wants a bike too. He basically wants to go riding with me and to keep in shape. He's not opposed to buy used, but I'm not sure what are the most important things to consider are for him. I am an amateur and had help getting my bike, so I'm not sure where to start in buying him a bike. I've looked at a few used bikes, but it's hard to judge if they are a deal or not. Any tips would be appreciated.

for something entry level u can try ebay or going on www.bikesdirect.com they have some good entry level bikes!
goodl luck

kevinmcdade said:
What is your price range for his bike?
i'm trying to work with about $400 to $800, but might spend up to $1000 if it was a really great deal... but as always the lower the price the better...

As my second bike to use on my trainer and to differentiate my workout, I purchased a Fuji Finest for $400. It's chromoly steel and sora equipped. It is a very solid bike with great performance for the price. I upgraded the rear derailleur to a Shimano 105 and the bike is bulletproof.

kevinmcdade said:
As my second bike to use on my trainer and to differentiate my workout, I purchased a Fuji Finest for $400. It's chromoly steel and sora equipped. It is a very solid bike with great performance for the price. I upgraded the rear derailleur to a Shimano 105 and the bike is bulletproof.
This is what the Fuji Finest looks like. I added an inexpensive set of aero bars to vary my position while doing long intervals.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

TrekCyclerChic said:
i'm trying to work with about $400 to $800, but might spend up to $1000 if it was a really great deal... but as always the lower the price the better...
You can do alot for $800 to 1000 at LBS on sale or clearance.some of that will need to go for proper gear and ascesories. Buying used if you don't know what you are doing is a good way to get a real hosing and throw money down a rathole.

If you get to a nike store soon you may be able to buy a last years model of a bike at a discount. That would be the best way to go. Just make sure it fits him comfortably. I just bought a Trek 1200 and I love it, it was my first road bike in more than 20 years. The Trek 1000 would also probably be a fine bike.