Good bike for starting off

On Nov 2, 10:52 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "nmp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> > [..]

> >> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to
> >> them to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage.

> > That is also what I meant with "any bike will do". You don't have to have
> > a specific type of bicycle to go cycling.

> That's still not quite right. Some may, in fact, *need* a specific type of
> bike to motivate them to ride. What we don't know is what type of bike that
> will be. The bike that's just hanging around may not have that spark that
> encourages someone to ride.

And it doesn't provide the LBS with a new bike sale, either. And all
those absolutely necessary accessories.......

> Sometimes the bike can be perfectly fine, a
> perfect match for the riding opportunities in the area, but it doesn't
> matter, it's not new & exciting and has a dull paint job so it just sits,
> while a new bike might not. Yeah, sure, people are shallow sometimes.

Slow season at the bike shop? ;-)

On 2007-11-02, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to them
> to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage. The bike that
> gets them thinking about all the possible places they might go. Basically,
> the bike that, for a variety of reasons, gets ridden more. That will be a
> different bike for different people, even people in similar situations. It
> might be a more expensive bike, it might be less expensive. In some cases,
> it can even be because it looks better than another bike. I used to think
> that was silly, but I've gotten over that. If there's something about a bike
> that motivates someone to ride, great!

I second that! My problem is the loud chorus of screams every time I
go into my garage. RIDE ME!! NO, TAKE ME OUT!!! PLEASE, CAN I
GO?!?!? Then there's the whole issue of placating the ones
that you don't choose for this particular ride! Last Friday my
favorite (and cheapest BTW) bike was yelling out to me quite loudly,
but I wasn't sure how hilly the road was that I'd be riding, so I had
to pass (it's a fixed gear, and a 60 mile ride!)... I could have
ridden one of the other bikes that was waiting patiently to be ridden,
but then I'd have had to move my pedals and some bags for tools... so
I settled for the one that's been ridden the most lately (the heavy
Trek 520 with full fenders/racks/lights/etc.) Didn't regret it, that's
for sure, but the others were crying when I left...

As for thinking of places that I might go... isn't that how we
evaluate everywhere we go/are?

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to
> them to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage.

In the GARAGE?!? That's OK for mountain bikes, /maybe/, but everyone knows
that road bikes belong in the living or dining room (corner reserved for all
the associated clutter like tires, tubes, parts, gloves, headbands, arm
warmers...).

Bill "the Mad One would not share space with a car" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to
>> them to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage.

> In the GARAGE?!? That's OK for mountain bikes, /maybe/, but everyone knows
> that road bikes belong in the living or dining room (corner reserved for all
> the associated clutter like tires, tubes, parts, gloves, headbands, arm
> warmers...).

At least one bicycle should be kept in the bedroom.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to
>> them to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage.

> In the GARAGE?!? That's OK for mountain bikes, /maybe/, but everyone knows
> that road bikes belong in the living or dining room (corner reserved for all
> the associated clutter like tires, tubes, parts, gloves, headbands, arm
> warmers...).

Heh. That's funny. My road bike does indeed live
in the "front" room, and the MTB in the garage. My wife
doesn't even complain as long as I keep the tires/tubes/gloves/
shoes out of the front room (they're in my home office).

Dana

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, the best bike for someone is the one that calls out to
>> them to go for a ride, every time they go past it in the garage.

> In the GARAGE?!? That's OK for mountain bikes, /maybe/, but everyone knows
> that road bikes belong in the living or dining room (corner reserved for all
> the associated clutter like tires, tubes, parts, gloves, headbands, arm
> warmers...).

Heh. That's funny. My road bike does indeed live
in the "front" room, and the MTB in the garage. My wife
doesn't even complain as long as I keep the tires/tubes/gloves/
shoes out of the front room (they're in my home office).

Dana

> Bill "the Mad One would not share space with a car" S.

Who said anything about a car in the garage? Seriously. We have maybe 6
bikes in the garage, plus all manner of other bike stuff. What would a car
be doing in there?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> Bill "the Mad One would not share space with a car" S.

> Who said anything about a car in the garage? Seriously. We have maybe
> 6 bikes in the garage, plus all manner of other bike stuff. What
> would a car be doing in there?

Well, if it's heated and carpeted, then I guess you're OK. :p

Bill "old joke about Americans: put junk in garage and $40,000 cars out in
the elements" S.

{rest left for context}

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Bill "old joke about Americans: put junk in garage and $40,000 cars out
> in the elements" S.

It's not just Americans either...

On Nov 1, 1:53 am, "em" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just pulled my mountain bike out of long-term storage. I never really rode
> it a lot but I'm motivated to do so now. (Doc says I have to lose some
> weight before surgery.) Its a nice bike, I guess, but it feels like its
> harder to ride on the road than it really should be. Its got those big
> knobby tires, I don't care too much for the gear ratios, and I really don't
> like for the posture -- my neck and lower back have been getting kind of
> sore.
>
> Is a road bike really much better to ride on the road? I'm not going to be
> taking day-long bike rides any time soon. I would like to work up to an hour
> a day of reasonably intense up and down hill riding.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

even though i love road bike, mountain bike or hybrids are easier and
more fun for starters. the road bike rides to harsh and will kill your
back at the begging. mountain bikes are easier on your back
you can get awesome deal on ebay. i recommend you go with big names,
not cheap bikes. for $200 you can get an awesome giant, specialized or
trek in very good condition
regards,
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.