Good bike legs/ bad running legs?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by benkoostra, Mar 1, 2007.

1. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

I've been running a lot lately at a local park, for two reasons: 1, it's been raining like hell, and 2, there are a lot of women who also jog there, and being single (again) I use that as a motivational tool…..

But here’s my problem: To call what I do ‘running’ is being rather generous. You see, I weigh 200 lb, and can sustain 21 mph on the bike. I haven’t been training too long, but I seem to be pretty strong already, all things considered, and I recover very quickly from all out efforts. I’m pleased with my progress so far (I rode cross country mt bikes a lot in my younger years, but road is new, and I took a long break from riding). Cycling has always felt pretty comfortable.

But ‘running’ is an unmitigated farce by comparison. It’s uncomfortable, I don’t feel like I can get a rhythm going with my breathing, I end up feeling out of breath, my hamstrings hurt like hell; what’s going on here? How can I do as well as I do on the bike, but suck this badly as a runner? It doesn’t seem to be getting any better either. I continue to improve on the bike, but not as a runner, although it has helped with my fitness a little bit.

Are the physiological demands that different? Am I just not a runner? DO I need more base training as a runner? I just don’t get it.

Tags:

2. ehirsch83

ehirsch83 New Member

They do use different muscles:) i was a runner before I was a cyclist(and now I despise running, haven't gone running in months) I find running uncomfortable, it is painful to me. But anyways... I used to run 35-40 miles a week on average, but when I first started biking I could only maintain an average speed of 14mph and only make it about 12 miles.
    my words of advice- stick to biking! if you want to find girls, go to spin class if the weather doesn't permit getting on the bike outdoors ;) there are usually plenty of cute women in class.

3. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

That is good advice. Thanks.:D

4. BradUF

BradUF New Member

I like to bike but I can't stand to run.

5. Tapeworm

Tapeworm New Member

Yes, they are different, but it is possible to be good at both. Many triathletes are testimony to this! Practice makes perfect. To get into a rhythm try breathing on every second, third or fourth step. Use a HR monitor, some people push it too hard on the run or nowhere hard enough, the HR monitor will help put you in the right zone. Make sure you have quality running shoes that fit you well and you should be off.

6. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

I tried running a lot harder last night, and what do you know, It was somehow easier, and I wasn't nearly as sore afterwards. I couldn't go as far, but I guess that will come. I'll just keep pushing untill I get used to it. The longer stride fits my legs much better.

7. Pureshot78

Pureshot78 New Member

You are noticing the effects of your 200 lbs pounding on your legs.
    If running is enjoyable to you then i'd encourage you not to stop, just make an effort to continue losing weight. For me, when I was 205 lbs I didn't want to run AT ALL. 6 months later with a lot of cycling I now weigh 170 lbs. Running isn't such a chore these days. :D

8. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

Dude,

I race Cat 3 road and cross and am a paratrooper here at Ft. Bragg, NC. The job means I run about 20-30 miles a week depending on what we're doing for PT. Anyway, the BLUF: I came here to NC from TX where I was racing quite a bit and the unit I was in there did not run much. So.... I had to develop my running legs. It takes time. Make sure you buy some good shoes and just work little by little at it. As the weight comes down (and running is good to work weight) your running will get better. Do not neglect the bike though. I got addicted to fast runs (27 min. 4 milers, etc.. fast for me at least) and found it was killing my power.

9. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to keep at it. I'm losing weight little by litte, and I am getting a little better at it. As te weather improves I'll start riding more and more. That's what I really love to do.

10. BigRedSnackFoam

BigRedSnackFoam New Member

I have (had?) the same problem. Two years ago I trained for my first triathlon. The bike came relatively easy to me, I had previously been a mt biker but had taken some years off, getting back in the saddle was great. I haven't had a bad day on the bike yet. I had NEVER been a runner though. I hate running and while I eventually got to the point where I could run without having to stop and puke I never started to like it. My training partner was the exact opposite. She could not keep up with me on the bike but could (and did) drop me like a bag of dirt whenever we ran.

Good shoes fixed my pain problems (knees and calf) and regular training fixed my lungs exploding problem but I still had to deal with the "not fun" problem.

My solution turned out to be fairly simple, I stopped running!

In all seriousness, proper running technique takes a long time to learn. To some people it comes pretty naturally but for me (a non-gifted runner) I just didn't enjoy it enough to invest the time it takes to do it right.

Check out this site:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi
    IIRC it was highly regarded among the tri geeks for running issues/

11. K50

K50 New Member

yeah I used to be a great runner, but I don't like it so much now. It feels alot harder to get in shape and there's more pain...the pounding.. I also rarely have good running shoes on when I'm running, so it doesn't work so well..my shins get really sore.

12. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

Well, I have an update.

I guess I CAN run after all. I just needed to push myself harder and change my gait a bit. I'm fairly pain free these days too. It has helped my general fitness a lot, so I'll keep going until I have more time to ride.

13. dmstone1

dmstone1 New Member

thats great news. I would say do both. I do, well i also swim. I was a runner/swimmer in high school and from the summer to my freshman year of college I bought a trek 1000. I only compete as a runner in college but I cross train buy swimming and cycling. I honestly think these three sports are as dificult as you make it. Sure anyone can run. But when your shooting for 4:20 in a mile on foot it gets painful. Same as cycling, Im sure anyone can cruse on a bike forever. It takes pain to get when you want to hit a certain pace.

P.s. you'll never find a better girl than a runner:p