Good book for planning Blue Ridge Pkwy tour?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Matt O'Toole, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I'm thinking of doing a "credit card" style tour of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. That means I don't want to
    carry *any* stuff except the minimum necessary clothing. So, I'll have to plan both hotels and
    meals. Can anyone recommend a good guide book, or other resource? It doesn't have to be
    cycling-specific, as long as it has the info I need, and it's current.

    BTW, I live about 25 miles from the Pkwy. I'm familiar with this stretch (near Roanoke), but not the
    rest of it.

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold Guest

    'Bicycling the Blue Ridge' by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner isbn -89732-093-x. This has been a real
    gem for me.

    The lodges on the Parkway are not real evenly spaced, but you can do it.

    > I'm thinking of doing a "credit card" style tour of the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
    That
    > means I don't want to carry *any* stuff except the minimum necessary
    clothing.
    > So, I'll have to plan both hotels and meals. Can anyone recommend a good
    guide
    > book, or other resource? It doesn't have to be cycling-specific, as long
    as it
    > has the info I need, and it's current.
    >
    > BTW, I live about 25 miles from the Pkwy. I'm familiar with this stretch
    (near
    > Roanoke), but not the rest of it.
    >
    > Matt O.

  3. Mark Boyd

    Mark Boyd Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Tim Arnold wrote:

    > 'Bicycling the Blue Ridge' by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner isbn -89732-093-x. This has been a
    > real gem for me.

    Agreed!

    > The lodges on the Parkway are not real evenly spaced, but you can do it.

    Well, if he doesn't carry food it will be a very hard ride <grin>! The services on the Parkway are
    well spaced for cars, but very far apart on a bike, especially at the north and south ends. So are
    places to spend the night, but, for a strong rider, that is less of a problem.

    From Cherokee to the Pisgah Inn -the first place to stay - is only 60 miles, but there is close to
    10000 feet of climbing and there are no services other than water and restrooms at Waterock Knob. At
    the other end, it is also 60 miles with no place to eat or sleep, but only a little over a mile of
    climbing. That is just to get to food. If you want a place to sleep, you'll need to climb another
    3000 feet - in not much over 10 miles, this is one of the hardest hills on the Parkway - and ride a
    total of about 95 miles to get to The Peaks of Otter. That makes for a long hard day! When I did it
    in the, easier, opposite direction, Whetstone Ridge was still open so I had a place to eat supper 30
    miles from the north end. I really need that hot meal!

    There are other long stretches without services, but, based on my own experience, those at either
    end are the worst. Those stretches also offer few opportuniteis for leaving the Parkway to find
    services without big downhills and the corresponding big climbs back up. The north end is especially
    bad in this respect.

    So, if Matt can carry food and do so pretty long days with lots of climbing, he can credit card tour
    the Parkway. I know folks that have. Personally, I carried food and camping gear and camped three
    nights out of the six I spent on the Parkway.

    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm thinking of doing a "credit card" style tour of the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
    > That
    > > means I don't want to carry *any* stuff except the minimum necessary
    > clothing.
    > > So, I'll have to plan both hotels and meals. Can anyone recommend a good
    > guide
    > > book, or other resource? It doesn't have to be cycling-specific, as long
    > as it
    > > has the info I need, and it's current.
    > >
    > > BTW, I live about 25 miles from the Pkwy. I'm familiar with this stretch
    > (near
    > > Roanoke), but not the rest of it.
    > >
    > > Matt O.

    Mark <www.cs.unca.edu?~boyd/bicycling.html

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mark Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Tim Arnold wrote:
    >
    > > 'Bicycling the Blue Ridge' by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner isbn -89732-093-x. This has been a
    > > real gem for me.
    >
    > Agreed!
    >
    > > The lodges on the Parkway are not real evenly spaced, but you can do it.
    >
    > Well, if he doesn't carry food it will be a very hard ride <grin>! The services on the Parkway are
    > well spaced for cars, but very far apart on a bike, especially at the north and south ends. So are
    > places to spend the night, but, for a strong rider, that is less of a problem.
    >
    > From Cherokee to the Pisgah Inn -the first place to stay - is only 60 miles, but there is close to
    > 10000 feet of climbing and there are no services other than water and restrooms at Waterock Knob.
    > At the other end, it is also 60 miles with no place to eat or sleep, but only a little over a mile
    > of climbing. That is just to get to food. If you want a place to sleep, you'll need to climb
    > another 3000 feet - in not much over 10 miles, this is one of the hardest hills on the Parkway -
    > and ride a total of about 95 miles to get to The Peaks of Otter. That makes for a long hard day!
    > When I did it in the, easier, opposite direction, Whetstone Ridge was still open so I had a place
    > to eat supper 30 miles from the north end. I really need that hot meal!
    >
    > There are other long stretches without services, but, based on my own experience, those at either
    > end are the worst. Those stretches also offer few opportuniteis for leaving the Parkway to find
    > services without big downhills and the corresponding big climbs back up. The north end is
    > especially bad in this respect.
    >
    > So, if Matt can carry food and do so pretty long days with lots of climbing, he can credit card
    > tour the Parkway. I know folks that have. Personally, I carried food and camping gear and camped
    > three nights out of the six I spent on the Parkway.

    Thanks, guys!

    Matt O.

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Matt,

    I've done the BRP three times. Two sagged and one partial credit card. The last trip, last summer,
    was sagged but the distances were moderate. I've done it both directions, the following is north to
    south. This is a mix of B&B's and motels/lodges. The Holiday Inn in Waynesboro has changed hands (no
    longer a Holiday Inn) and was really a dump. I believe it is now closed. You might want to check
    with the Chamber of Commerce for an alternative near the Parkway. Everything else was was excelent
    to good. Since you are from Roanoke you'll have a solution to the only one we couldn't find a good
    alternative to.

    Enjoy the ride. It is my favorite. Also the Skyline Drive is worth the ride. There's a motel in the
    middle or or if you have a sag it's a fun hard one day.

    http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/directory.htm

    http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.com/brbchtms/bicyclelinks/bicyclelinks.htm

    http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/

    http://www.nps.gov/blri/

    http://www.nps.gov/blri/closure.htm

    http://www.biglynnlodge.com/

    http://www.imagesbuilder.com/cherokee/lodging.html

    http://www2.roanoke.com/outdoors/biking/5330.htm l

    http://www.mitchell-county.com/members/Accomodations/hotelmotel.html

    http://www.pisgahinn.com/

    Elev Gain Day Date Mile Post Location Lodging Phone

    Friday June 21, 2002 0 Waynesboro Holiday 540-932-7170

    4802 Saturday June 22, 2002 63 Lynchburg Winridge B&B 434-384-7220 http://www.winridge.org/ The
    Winridge URL is no good. Google and call. I hope they are still open it was a great place.

    6322 Sunday June 23, 2002 121 Roanoke Hampton 828-497-3115

    7475 Monday June 24, 2002 193 Orchard Gap Inn and Cottages at Orchard Gap 276-398-3206
    http://www.bbonline.com/va/orchardgap/index.html

    7257 Tuesday June 25, 2002 256 Glendale Springs Mountain View Lodge & Cabins 919-982-2233
    http://www.mtnviewlodge.com/

    8075 Wednesday June 26, 2002 334 Little Switzerland 1 Big Lynn Lodge 800-654-5232
    http://www.biglynnlodge.com/

    8445 Thursday June 27, 2002 408.6 Mt. Pisgah 2 Pisgah Inn 828-235-8228 http://www.pisgahinn.com/

    Bill Brannon

    > I'm thinking of doing a "credit card" style tour of the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
    That
    > means I don't want to carry *any* stuff except the minimum necessary
    clothing.
    > So, I'll have to plan both hotels and meals. Can anyone recommend a good
    guide
    > book, or other resource? It doesn't have to be cycling-specific, as long
    as it
    > has the info I need, and it's current.
    >
    > BTW, I live about 25 miles from the Pkwy. I'm familiar with this stretch
    (near
    > Roanoke), but not the rest of it.
    >
    > Matt O.

  6. Bill