good/cheap tubeless tire?

mishkind

Sep 18, 2014
I recently switched to tubeless. I've had multiple flats but they all seal up. Recently the side wall was shredded though so I need some new tires. My LSB hawks specialized Roubaix tires for $90 each which seems steep ($110 for the Turbo). Any recommendations for good, and hopefully cheaper than $80, tubeless tires?

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on why I would want a tubeless tire over a tubed tire (excluding tubulars for racing bikes)

The lies I was told was that I because you can run the tire at a lower pressure (which I actually do, ~90 instead of 110 psi) that you get better handling and cornering, but I can't notice a difference.

The one big thing I do notice though is flats, rather, the lack of flats. As long as you have sealant in there*, then when you get small punctures they just seal right up and you can keep on riding. I've had thorns, small pieces of glass, and small wires go in the tube and you just keep riding. Sealant sprays out a little as you ride and as it hits the air it reacts and eventually seals, usually around 70-80 psi for me, which is more than enough to continue my ride, and you don't have to worry about pinch flats with tubeless.

*At first I didn't know that you needed to keep adding sealant every so often so my tires were 'dry' and as soon as I got a small puncture it just went flat. It's a bit of maintenance (I use stan's sealant and the accompanying injector) and refill every 3 months or so, though it really depends on how many punctures I get and how many times I've pumped the tire.