Good classic bend bar

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
I do not like sprinting with egro bars and want to move back to classic bend bars, or at least an ergo bar with a modest "ergo" section but a decent lower bar extension. I current;ly have Ritechey WCS ergobars with a fairly radical ergo section and almsot no extension on the end.

Carbon is probably fine, but I trust aliminum more so suggestions for some good candidates would be appreciated.

Deda Newton shallow is great.

The anatomic Ritcheys are pretty **** in terms of sprinting, way too aggressive. The Newton anatomic is much much better in that regard, though for races when I'm in the drops, I still rotate the bars so the drop ends are level to the ground. but in all other cases, anatomic bars are much better with brifters.

If you want a really nice though slightly heavy drop bar, Nito B125AA.

Thanks, the Deda Newton and Ritchey WCS Classic - both shallow, are the two bars I'm considering. I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a better option.

there are probably others, but I can't imagine they'd have anything over these two

The only difference between the Ritchey and the Deda is that the oversize bit in the middle is a little wider on the Dedas. The Ritchey OS section is ~9cm wide, and the Dedas ~13cm. This is no big deal (although I guess someone might argue that one is stiffer), but if you're attatching more than one thing on either side of the bars, the taper makes it look a bit weird. :)

The Deda's look nice, but they're 31.7mm vs. what I think is the more common 31.8mm of the Ritcheys (and my stem-s). Does anyone know if that 0.1mm really matters? Will a Deda work in a "standard" 31.8 stem?

genedoc said:
The Deda's look nice, but they're 31.7mm vs. what I think is the more common 31.8mm of the Ritcheys (and my stem-s). Does anyone know if that 0.1mm really matters? Will a Deda work in a "standard" 31.8 stem?
It doesn't matter.

"Word" has it is that this is a bit of a scam by Deda to get people to also buy their stems. It was discussed on Bike Forums a little while ago

I've used a few different stems with my Deda OS bars without a problem.

the Dedas are a bit more 'blingier', but I'd recommend the Ritcheys if they're a lot cheaper.

genedoc said:
0.1mm is very miniscule... that's about as thick as 2 sheets of bond paper. Front clamping stems should have no problem accomodating that since there is ample space (up to 3mm each side) between the faceplate and the stem face where the bolts go. The 0.1mm is also to make sure that the bars are securely snug and ensures that there is as wide a contact area as possible when the faceplate is bolted in place.

hd reynolds said:
0.1mm is very miniscule... that's about as thick as 2 sheets of bond paper. Front clamping stems should have no problem accomodating that since there is ample space (up to 3mm each side) between the faceplate and the stem face where the bolts go. The 0.1mm is also to make sure that the bars are securely snug and ensures that there is as wide a contact area as possible when the faceplate is bolted in place.
The correct manufacturing diameter for OS handlebars IIRC was 31.75 anyway. Deda rounded down to be different, everyone else rounded up.