Good Cold Weather Gloves, Jerseys, Tights, Booties?

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
This morning I froze myself riding to work. It was like 6-ish a.m. and my were my fingers cold from the low temperatures and the wind. I actually stopped to jam my hands on my belly and warm them.

I was not too pleased to discover that my brand new Endura booties are just too small. I think I need to get the XXL size so they will go over my Keen shoes. I rode without them, so my toes got cold too. Is there anything better?

The biggest deal was my frozen fingers though. Surprisingly, my chest and legs didn't protest that much. And I loved breathing in the crisp cold air. But my fingers ached like crazy.

Suggestions for good brands of gloves, tights and long sleeve jerseys much appreciated.

One more thing about gloves...is it safe (or smart?) to put small packets of chemical hand warmers in my gloves?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Yo ..

I'll tell you a story... :D

For some time I was working in Austria and the office gave me a bike to commute there... When the winter started I had the same problem needing some gloves.

But! My Jewish blood would not allow me to just buy any old pair of gloves! I had to get the perfect gloves! :D and of course for cheap! And I was making money back then. :D

I ended up getting a pair of McKinley wind stopper gloves and they worked fine... But I got them only -after- my hands started cracking and bleeding. :D

Get yours sooner. ;)

Now, maydog who is positioned fighting "The It" monster in the Arctic will tell you some more tricks like wearing vynil gloves under normal ones etc... But a pair of windstopper gloves wich can fit well with your sleeves (under or over them) will work fine.

I prefer thinner gloves in order to handle things. Knitted gloves don't work that well.

Some things to consider about gloves may include:

-Wind resistance.
-water resistance.
-ability to handle the shifters.
-ability to operate a phone.
-warmth.
-breathable.

As for clothing...

In the deep winter suicide rides I usually wear a soft shell wind & rain resistant jacket. A thermal shirt and a woolen sweater.

Legs are thermal leggings and over them a pair of spray proof fitted track pants.

BTW... Once you try the gloves I don't think that you will use the chemical warmer. Hands tebd to get sweaty in gloves. If its sub zero temps in the 2 digit scale you might need some #maydog advice... Vinyl gloves underneath... Layers over layers... :D

I also found that Infernally themed Black Metal music helps warming up in the winter! You'll be listening about the fires in hell and you will warm up!

Wich BTW is my Global Warming® action plan! :D

I plan to drill all the way to hell and exploit the everlasting perpetual fires of the underworld to warm up a heating system! :D care to fund the project? :D

As for brands... You want cycling specific stuff or hiking and athletic stuff too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYOT2Fzqpw

Reactions: BobCochran
Hi Volnix, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm looking mostly for cycling specific stuff. I don't know what the good brands are -- for example, is Castelli ia good brand. Or Nashbar or Cannondale or Pearl Izumi or Gore or whoever.

Thanks a ton

Bob

For rides above ~40, I can get by with regular open fingered cycling gloves. The hands get cold in the beginning. Once the core warms up the vessels in the fingers open up and my hands feel fine.

In colder weather or less intense rides, a basic full finger glove works good. I usually use generic poly or wool gloves. In temps that freeze your water bottle in 30 minutes, then go to a thick winter glove or use multiple layers. Be sure not to constrict the fingers, that makes it worse.

I do like to use nitrile or laytex liner gloves as a vapor barrier in the cold stuff. It prevents the outer glove from becoming saturated with sweat and therefore ineffective.

Quote by Maydog:
"Be sure not to constrict the fingers, that makes it worse."

This. Blood flow is as important as wind proofing and insulation.

I wear USGI MilSurp wool glove liners inside oversize ski gloves when it gets below freezing and I'm going to be out there for a couple hours.

Freezing to maybe 40° I wear single layer Thinsulate ski glove to a lightly insulated Winter glove.

40° to around 50° just a full finger, non-insulated, no padding project or chore work type glove. Ansell brand are among my fav's as are some of Mechanix line of cheap gloves. Nashbar also has some good mid-temperature range gloves for great prices...wait for a sale and free shipping.

BobCochran said:
Hi Volnix, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm looking mostly for cycling specific stuff. I don't know what the good brands are -- for example, is Castelli ia good brand. Or Nashbar or Cannondale or Pearl Izumi or Gore or whoever.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Endura seems to be making some Sh^tty Weather™ reflective stuff... (There are no races ehmmm, life! in sh^tty weather! Only death, ehmmm, suitable gear :D )

Check Spesh too.. I just checked some nice thicker shell stuff (softshell) from them. They also make membranes...

If its just gloves you're after check SealSkinz too... No personal experience but they seem mad about their gloves..

Good luck! And have a nice winter! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gONTgZ5yo4

Fleece lined gloves of some sort might be more comfortable, and you can also get cycling gloves made of neoprene, which are especially good for cold rainy weather. I would also recommend anything Gore-Tex as being great for keeping the cold out. They're expensive but if your hands are going to be suffering all season it might be worth the investment.