Good commuting pedal?

Gooserider

Guest
I use my road bike to commute to work 20 miles one way. I have to stop and go a bit so I use an SPD
MTB pedal---Performance Forte. The pedal functions well but I think the platform is too small and I
get a hot spot about 15 miles in. I have an ancient pair of Look MTB pedals on my MTB which have a
larger platform and are very comfortable. Is there a pedal I can consider which works with recessed
cleats but has a larger platform? Thanks....

Mike

Last weekend I took the kids and two of their friends to the Washington State History Museum, and
while they were doing some sort of computer interactive exhibit, I found a reproduction of a catalog
from more than a hundred years ago that had bikes and bicycle parts in it. I had a great deal of fun
leafing through it.

One of the things they were selling were tubes for $2.50. Compared to everything else in the
catalog, where the prices have risen tremendously, this price was remarkably close to what one might
pay today. Then I looked at the fine print -- every tube was sold with a patch kit, and *a pump*.
There didn't seem to be a way to buy a tube that didn't come with a pump.

I also really enjoyed looking at all the headlights sold in the catalog. They had quite a selection
All of them were gas. The top of the line ones were about the same price as the bikes. Spending an
astronomical amount on lighting seems to be a long standing tradition in cycling.

They also had a cut-out style seat, made especially for the ladies. "Recommended by doctors" it said
-- didn't I buy my Serfas Women's RX Saddle http://store.bicyclerevolution.com/serwomrxsad.html)
based on my physician's recomendation? Man, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm glad, though, that I don't have to worry about "...the finest wooden rims" on my bike
these days.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:31:27 +0000, Gooserider wrote:

> I use my road bike to commute to work 20 miles one way. I have to stop and go a bit so I use an
> SPD MTB pedal---Performance Forte. The pedal functions well but I think the platform is too small
> and I get a hot spot about 15 miles in.

It's not the pedal, but the shoe. If the sole is stiff enough, then the size of the pedal will
not matter.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:31:27 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>I use my road bike to commute to work 20 miles one way. I have to stop and go a bit so I use an SPD
>MTB pedal---Performance Forte. The pedal functions well but I think the platform is too small and I
>get a hot spot about 15 miles in. I have an ancient pair of Look MTB pedals on my MTB which have a
>larger platform and are very comfortable. Is there a pedal I can consider which works with recessed
>cleats but has a larger platform? Thanks....

You could try moving the cleat back (closer to your heel).

You may want to try stiffer shoes.

Or, pedals with big platforms. There's loads of good SPD pedals with big platforms: Shimano: M424,
M545, M647 Crank Bros: Candy, Mallet Nashbar: "Multi-Purpose Platform Sport Pedal", $30 cheap!
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:31:27 +0000, Gooserider wrote:
>
>> I use my road bike to commute to work 20 miles one way. I have to stop and go a bit so I use an
>> SPD MTB pedal---Performance Forte. The pedal functions well but I think the platform is too small
>> and I get a hot spot about 15 miles in.
>
> It's not the pedal, but the shoe. If the sole is stiff enough, then the size of the pedal will
> not matter.

In re: hot spots -- I've got a pair of ordinary street shoes that do the same thing. The right one,
anyway. On the fleshy part of my sole, right behind the little piggy who had roast beef.

Slackening the lace a little provides instant relief, as does simply not running the laces through
the uppermost pair of eyelets.

I think maybe it's a foot swelling thing -- the instep strains against the taut lace of the shoe,
and in turn, the foot is pushed downward into the sole. And maybe a high instep (such as I've got)
exacerbates the problem.

It's interesting how accounts of hot spots in cycling shoes so often mention how they occur after
a duration of more comfortable riding. That would seem to indicate something is changing. In a
word: swelling.

Anyhow, maybe loosening the shoelace a little is something to experiment with, and see what happens.
It's cheaper than a new pair of shoes or pedals, anyway.

cheers, Tom