Good commuting shoe?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Slider2699, May 25, 2003.

  1. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    I commute to work 2x/week. It's a pretty long ride(20 miles), mainly suburban/semi-rural, but I do
    have several stoplights and intersections to deal with. I have a pair of road shoes, but I don't
    feel comfortable with the slick soles while trying to start in traffic. I've been using a pair of
    Performance MTB shoes that I've had forever, but they're wearing out and they don't really go with
    my roadie look(Fabs is rubbing off on me). I need a shoe that is SPD compatible, has tread on the
    bottom(so I can push off while starting), and doesn't look like a MTB shoe. Any suggestions?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in news:p_bAa.127019$N45.2666525 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > I need a shoe that is SPD compatible, has tread on the bottom(so I can push off while starting),
    > and doesn't look like a MTB shoe. Any suggestions?

    Several companies make "touring" shoes that are similar to road shoes. The soles have recessed holes
    for SPD cleats. Tread is minimal (no clunky MTB lugs). The Shimano touring shoes are probably
    easiest to find.

  3. I use the SIDI Rampa MTB shoe with spd cleats and shimano mtb pedals. Great shoe, stiff sole,
    comfortable, inexpensive as far as SIDI's go, and you can walk around in them.

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I commute to work 2x/week. It's a pretty long ride(20 miles), mainly suburban/semi-rural, but I do
    > have several stoplights and intersections
    > deal with. I have a pair of road shoes, but I don't feel comfortable with the slick soles while
    > trying to start in traffic. I've been using a pair
    of
    > Performance MTB shoes that I've had forever, but they're wearing out and they don't really go with
    > my roadie look(Fabs is rubbing off on me). I
    need
    > a shoe that is SPD compatible, has tread on the bottom(so I can push off while starting), and
    > doesn't look like a MTB shoe. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Mike

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I need a shoe that is SPD compatible, has tread on the bottom(so I can push off while starting),
    > and doesn't look like a MTB shoe. Any suggestions?

    Sidi & Northwave both make "roadie-looking" MTB shoes

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 26 May 2003 20:33:58 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Peter Cole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]...
    >> I need a shoe that is SPD compatible, has tread on the bottom(so I can push off while starting),
    >> and doesn't look like a MTB shoe. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Sidi & Northwave both make "roadie-looking" MTB shoes

    As do Duegi and Carnac.
    --
    zk