Good cycling eye protection

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
I heard of some guys using safty glasses, but not sure if to get good pair of those or name brand cycling glasses. Your opinion?

Cycler6n said:
I heard of some guys using safty glasses, but not sure if to get good pair of those or name brand cycling glasses. Your opinion?
I just use the cheapo sunglasses you can find at any Wal-Mart or SunGlass hut, etc..

I have never had a problem. I wouldn't want to sweat and beat up a good pair of shades anyway.

Just make sure you don't have a glass lens and you'll be OK imo.

I use a pair of cheap safety glasses sold at the local hardwae store. Got them because they were cheap and they were wraparound and fitted really well. Keeps the wind out of the eyes and stopped them tearing up. On the plus side they saved my eyes when a truck turned in front of me and I smashed my head through the side window showering glass everywhere. i had cuts and scratches to the face but the eyes were OK. Yeah, I'm a dork I wear a helmet too......and I'm here today to tell you this.;)

Lesq said:
I use a pair of cheap safety glasses sold at the local hardwae store. Got them because they were cheap and they were wraparound and fitted really well. Keeps the wind out of the eyes and stopped them tearing up. On the plus side they saved my eyes when a truck turned in front of me and I smashed my head through the side window showering glass everywhere. i had cuts and scratches to the face but the eyes were OK. Yeah, I'm a dork I wear a helmet too......and I'm here today to tell you this.;)
People laugh at me for wearing a helmet, but hey, at least my head isn't going to be cracked open:D

Cycler6n said:
People laugh at me for wearing a helmet, but hey, at least my head isn't going to be cracked open:D
It's the law to wear a helmut in Australia, so everyone where's them or risks getting a fine. As for safety glasses, I dont see any real benefit in them unless you get the ones that seal to your face, but as soon as you start to sweat they fog up real quickly. I work in the mining industry so wear both types of safety glasses at all times at work, depending on which area i'm in determines which ones I wear

Cycler6n said:

I use Oakley Half jackets with transitions lenses. Now I'll admit there is a world of difference between buying safety glasses and a $150 pari :) . Anyway, they are comfortable and the transitions lenses handle my local riding conditions well - alternating sun and redwood groves (or fog). The knock on them is that they don;t tend to get as dark as "regular" sunglasses. just get something shatterproof and you'll at least meet the "protection" part. then you can go for comfort, visibility, and...style, baby, style!

I wear Oakley's M-Frames...they are wrap arounds with changable lenses...I usually just wear the dark ones though...clear ones are about $35...frame is another $30...and if you use your mastercard the cost of not loosing an eye from a rock slung by a car tire...priceless...:D

tiggere said:
I wear Oakley's M-Frames...they are wrap arounds with changable lenses...I usually just wear the dark ones though...clear ones are about $35...frame is another $30...and if you use your mastercard the cost of not loosing an eye from a rock slung by a car tire...priceless...:D

One note of caution on the changeable lenses. I have a friend who crashed on her mountain bike and the interchangeable lens in her Rudy Project glasses cut her right above the eye requiring several stitches. The cut was millimeters away from her eyeball. Maybe a fluke but worth pointing out that something designed to come out prolly will in a crash....

I don't think any glasses in a crash are going to stay together...most if not all are a pop-in lens system if not an interchangeable type...what is important is the Impact Resistant lenses...

Native Nano, interchangeable lens. Great for running and cycling.

lw

nano2_tn.gif

What do you do if you need prescription lenses....like me?

I'm not too keen on getting contacts again (probably the most obvious solution), so I use my regular glasses and a clip on sunshade.

I use Tifosi slips. They have interchangeable lenses and are around $50 US bucs. Any quality sunglasses have polycarbonate lenses which is what safety glasses are made from. Specialized does use a higher quality plastic which is the same stuff as the windshield on the Apache helicopter. You only have one set of eyes so treat them well. The main thing one gets from expensive glasses is quality of fit, OPTICS, okay, and style. If you've never even tried on a pair of expensive shades you should do so. It's quite amazing. The Tifosis I have fit better than cheap glasses, but nowhere near as well as Oakleys.