Good cycling tours in the French Alps?

Walrus

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
I'm planning on doing a cycling tour in the French Alps in June 2007.

For anyone who has either done this before, or who knows their stuff...could you let me know....

1. Are the big passes (eg Galibier) likely to be closed at that time of year? I know it's hit and miss...but what % chance will they be closed?

2. Could anyone suggest a good tour operator that offers fully supported rides (ie. follow you in a car so you don't have to carry everything...maps...accom...food etc)? I want to ride the classic Alp circuit...Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer & Galibier over 2-3 days.

The best I've found online is www.gpm10.com which was featured in ProCycling last September. Their "Classic Cols" ride is absolutely what I'm after, but they've typically only offered it in September.

I've found some other good options, but many of these are self-guided, which means they arrange accomodation and transfers, but once you're out on your bike...you're on your own. I'll only take that option if I can't find a good fully supported operator.

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> snip
>1. Are the big passes (eg Galibier) likely to be closed at that time of
> year? I know it's hit and miss...but what % chance will they be closed?

> Walrus

I did a solo camping tour in the Alps a couple of years ago in June and
there was no snow on the Galibier or the Madeleine.
This website usually has news of when the passes are open.
http://www.grenoblecycling.com/

Ken.

I know you've stated your desire for a organized tour but consider
using Bourg d'Oisans as a base camp and doing rack pack trips from
there and staying at hotels or gites. Doing your own trip makes your
trip flexible and less expensive. Just throwing out the thought. There
are lots of resources on the net to help you. I've posted some info
from my trip last summer which you might find useful:

Cycling Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer & Galibier - The Marmotte:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/alpe-d-huez/

Cycling The B Side of Alpe d'Huez:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/col-de-sarenne/

Cycling Villard Notre Dame (not yet posted, coming Thu, Oct 12):
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

steephill said:
I know you've stated your desire for a organized tour but consider
using Bourg d'Oisans as a base camp and doing rack pack trips from
there and staying at hotels or gites. Doing your own trip makes your
trip flexible and less expensive. Just throwing out the thought. There
are lots of resources on the net to help you. I've posted some info
from my trip last summer which you might find useful:

Cycling Alpe d'Huez, Croix de Fer & Galibier - The Marmotte:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/alpe-d-huez/

Cycling The B Side of Alpe d'Huez:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/col-de-sarenne/

Cycling Villard Notre Dame (not yet posted, coming Thu, Oct 12):
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue
Thanks Steve. I've found plenty of self-guided tours to do, and I have friends who've done similar trips to yours...but my preference is to do the professional...fully supported ride. Failing that, I'll go down this track.

Thanks anyway for the links.