Good Cycling Trip Book?

Brian Sculac

Guest
I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles...any Books out there from someone who maybe
has made a trip like that?

Brian Sculac <[email protected]> wrote:
: I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles...any Books out there from someone who maybe
: has made a trip like that?

I have seen some touring books. There is also The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling
(1579541992), which is fairly good - suitable for people who want to be strong in the long haul, or
want to prepare for various issues one encounters on longer rides.

Brian Sculac wrote:
> I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles...any Books out there from someone who maybe
> has made a trip like that?

The standard text seems to be "BIcylcing the Pacific Coast" by Kirkendall. Amazon.ca has it.

There's also lots of online journals - try going to Crazyguyonabike.com, or just google a bit.

Brian Sculac wrote:
> I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles...any Books out there from someone who maybe
> has made a trip like that?

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=1930&seriesID=7&seriesname=Cycling-
%20Guides&

Bycling USA West cost - Lonely planet series.

disclaimer : I am lonely planet fan (I have used their guide books & loved them).

How ever, I haven't 'used' this book yet. I bought it hoping to do San Francisco <--> San Diego
touring one day. Just by reading a few pages, it reads pretty good.

please post any references / books you find useful here..

thanks ./Sujee

Brian Sculac wrote:

> I'm planning a ride from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles...any Books out there from someone who maybe
> has made a trip like that?

Here's my contribution:

http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_To_San_Francisco/Introduction.html

I wrote an intro with some basic guides (equipment list - bike panniers - tent, .... stuff,
.... .....).

I've ridden from Port Angeles (out and around the Olympic Peninsula) to Los Angeles, but only
documented my first trip, which was from Seattle to San Francisco.

The "Kirkendall/Spring" guide still seems to be THE book to use. I have never owned a copy of the
Kirkendall/Spring book, but it seemed like everyone else on the route (and you will meet MANY other
cyclists along this route) were carrying a copy, so I referred to it a lot. I'll add, though, that
it is hardly necessary. There is plenty of good documentation of this route - and it is really very
easy to stay on track and in the know (where are the campgrounds and scenic alternate routes).

Adventure Cycling has water proof maps that are very good. I bought them for my later trips (two
maps cover the whole coast).

The Oregon DOT has the best state cycling map I've ever seen (for the coast route).
http://www.odot.state.or.us/techserv/bikewalk/ocbr.htm

(Unfortunately, it says that they are temporarily out stock.)

The California leg is where you begin to need some kind of guide. The Adventure Cycling maps are
ideal there.

You will enjoy this ride immensely!

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.