Good Deed for the Day

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Was on the way home along the Yarra Trail this arvo and I caught up to what
    appeared to be a father and teenage son on mountain bikes and going really
    slow. As I passed I realised that the son's rear tyre was totally flat. I
    asked them how far they had to get home and they said about 5 or 6km to
    North Balwyn so I decided to help them out. I took off his rear wheel and
    removed the tube to discover that it was a 27 inch tube in a 26 inch tyre
    and it had been folded over near the valve to make it fit!!!! I thought
    that this was probably what caused the flat but I did a quick check of the
    tyre and removed a couple of small bits of glass as well (Used my cut in
    half dentists tool that I have in my tool bag and use to remove glass by
    poking it out through the tyre). I put in my one and only spare tube (brand
    new and cost me about $10) with presta valve and explained that they
    probably wouldn't be able to pump it up as all their other valves were the
    standard car valve (Schraeder).

    The whole thing took about 8 min or so and the guys were pretty happy and
    appreciative. I was thinking about the brand new tube down the drain but
    decided it was a pretty small price to pay given the circumstance. I
    suggested that they might want to buy a replacement tube with a car valve on
    it and install it pretty soon so that they could pump up the tyre again if
    required. I was about to leave and then I gave the guy one of my business
    cards and said that if he went and bought a replacement tube and gives me a
    call, I will stop by on my way home from work, fit the new tube and recover
    my tube back........."everyone's a winner"

    For the rest of the trip home I was waiting for the puncture god's warped
    sense of humour to strike but I made it without incident. As soon as I got
    in the shed I put two more tubes in my bag before I forgot about it.....one
    brand new and one that has been repaired a few times so that if I have to
    give one away again I won't be worrying about it being a brand new tube.

    I just hope that it will be a case of "what goes around comes around" if I
    am ever stuck somewhere.

    Ride On,

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. God

    God Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > Was on the way home along the Yarra Trail this arvo and I caught up to what
    > appeared to be a father and teenage son on mountain bikes and going really
    > slow. As I passed I realised that the son's rear tyre was totally flat. I
    > asked them how far they had to get home and they said about 5 or 6km to
    > North Balwyn so I decided to help them out. I took off his rear wheel and
    > removed the tube to discover that it was a 27 inch tube in a 26 inch tyre
    > and it had been folded over near the valve to make it fit!!!! I thought
    > that this was probably what caused the flat but I did a quick check of the
    > tyre and removed a couple of small bits of glass as well (Used my cut in
    > half dentists tool that I have in my tool bag and use to remove glass by
    > poking it out through the tyre). I put in my one and only spare tube (brand
    > new and cost me about $10) with presta valve and explained that they
    > probably wouldn't be able to pump it up as all their other valves were the
    > standard car valve (Schraeder).
    >
    > The whole thing took about 8 min or so and the guys were pretty happy and
    > appreciative. I was thinking about the brand new tube down the drain but
    > decided it was a pretty small price to pay given the circumstance. I
    > suggested that they might want to buy a replacement tube with a car valve on
    > it and install it pretty soon so that they could pump up the tyre again if
    > required. I was about to leave and then I gave the guy one of my business
    > cards and said that if he went and bought a replacement tube and gives me a
    > call, I will stop by on my way home from work, fit the new tube and recover
    > my tube back........."everyone's a winner"
    >
    > For the rest of the trip home I was waiting for the puncture god's warped
    > sense of humour to strike but I made it without incident. As soon as I got
    > in the shed I put two more tubes in my bag before I forgot about it.....one
    > brand new and one that has been repaired a few times so that if I have to
    > give one away again I won't be worrying about it being a brand new tube.
    >
    > I just hope that it will be a case of "what goes around comes around" if I
    > am ever stuck somewhere.
    >
    > Ride On,
    >
    > Gags

    Don't worry, you'll be rewarded in the after-life.
    Have faith!

  3. Russell Lang

    Russell Lang Guest

    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Was on the way home along the Yarra Trail this arvo and I caught up to what
    > appeared to be a father and teenage son on mountain bikes and going really
    > slow. As I passed I realised that the son's rear tyre was totally flat.
    > I put in my one and only spare tube
    > The whole thing took about 8 min or so and the guys were pretty happy and
    > appreciative.

    Well done. Cycling is much more social than driving, and you just
    reinforced that in a big way. I'd feel good if I were in your
    position, and I hope the father and son can repay it by helping
    someone else. Reminds of the slogan "practise random kindness
    and senseless acts of beauty"

  4. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    Karma dude karma :cool: :)

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Gags wrote:
    <snip>
    > For the rest of the trip home I was waiting for the puncture god's warped
    > sense of humour to strike but I made it without incident. As soon as I got
    > in the shed I put two more tubes in my bag before I forgot about it.....one
    > brand new and one that has been repaired a few times so that if I have to
    > give one away again I won't be worrying about it being a brand new tube.

    <snip>

    Two spare tubes is a great backup plan - I use this as well, although
    when you think about it, you're actually handing over a tube plus three
    patches plus labour... :D Good work, and it was very nice of the
    puncture gods to reward you :D

    Tam

  6. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Gags> For the rest of the trip home I was waiting for the puncture
    Gags> god's warped sense of humour to strike but I made it without
    Gags> incident. As soon as I got in the shed I put two more tubes
    Gags> in my bag before I forgot about it.....one brand new and one
    Gags> that has been repaired a few times so that if I have to give
    Gags> one away again I won't be worrying about it being a brand new
    Gags> tube.

    Sweet! This is what life's supposed to be about, helping each other.
    Good on you.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  7. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    That is soooo sweet! I hope you're riding past next time I have a flat.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A wonderful story about self-sacrifice and kindness

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hehe. noice one laddy :D

    as i says to the ones i have stopped for...
    "No big deal. Next time you see someone see if they need help too. After all, it may be me!:D"

  9. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Was on the way home along the Yarra Trail this arvo and I caught up to
    > what
    > appeared to be a father and teenage son on mountain bikes and going really
    > slow. As I passed I realised that the son's rear tyre was totally flat.
    > asked them how far they had to get home and they said about 5 or 6km to
    > North Balwyn so I decided to help them out. I took off his rear wheel and
    > removed the tube to discover that it was a 27 inch tube in a 26 inch tyre
    > and it had been folded over near the valve to make it fit!!!! I thought
    > that this was probably what caused the flat but I did a quick check of the
    > tyre and removed a couple of small bits of glass as well (Used my cut in
    > half dentists tool that I have in my tool bag and use to remove glass by
    > poking it out through the tyre). I put in my one and only spare tube
    > (brand
    > new and cost me about $10) with presta valve and explained that they
    > probably wouldn't be able to pump it up as all their other valves were the
    > standard car valve (Schraeder).
    >
    > The whole thing took about 8 min or so and the guys were pretty happy and
    > appreciative. I was thinking about the brand new tube down the drain but
    > decided it was a pretty small price to pay given the circumstance. I
    > suggested that they might want to buy a replacement tube with a car valve
    > on
    > it and install it pretty soon so that they could pump up the tyre again if
    > required. I was about to leave and then I gave the guy one of my business
    > cards and said that if he went and bought a replacement tube and gives me
    > call, I will stop by on my way home from work, fit the new tube and
    > recover
    > my tube back........."everyone's a winner"
    >
    > For the rest of the trip home I was waiting for the puncture god's warped
    > sense of humour to strike but I made it without incident. As soon as I
    > got
    > in the shed I put two more tubes in my bag before I forgot about
    > it.....one
    > brand new and one that has been repaired a few times so that if I have to
    > give one away again I won't be worrying about it being a brand new tube.
    >
    > I just hope that it will be a case of "what goes around comes around" if I
    > am ever stuck somewhere.
    >
    > Ride On,
    >
    > Gags

    Bravo :) That kid just learnt that cyclists=nice people. And watching you
    ride off, he probably also learnt that bikes are faster than he thought they
    were. I know you weren't consciously doing cycling PR, just "bein'
    neighbourly" but it's good all 'round.

  10. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Blessed are the helpers :D

    Good on ya.

    Do you reckon they watched and learned.

    "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for life"

    "give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his days"

    "change a tube for a cyclist and he will be able to cycle home, show a cyclist how to change a tube and he ............."

    SteveA

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    You Rock. :)

  12. DJ

    DJ Guest

    >>resound wrote:
    >
    > Bravo :) That kid just learnt that cyclists=nice people. And watching you
    > ride off, he probably also learnt that bikes are faster than he thought
    > they were. I know you weren't consciously doing cycling PR, just "bein'
    > neighbourly" but it's good all 'round.

    "Dad, who was that masked man"?

    "Son, that was the LONE CYCLIST" !!

    Good Onya Gags

    DJ

  13. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    I was off on a short training ride last week and was considering not
    bothering with pump/spare tube but decided not to taunt th puncture
    gods. Just as well. A couple of km's along th ebike track I came across
    a guy changing a tube. i asked if he was right, but he definitely
    wasn't. He has one of those compressed air canisters and due to the bad
    connection had lost all his air. He got the tyre pumped up with my pump
    and was on his way. That's the second time I've come across that. Got me
    beat why you would not carry a pump on a training ride (racing maybe).

    DaveB