Good Digital Camera to Carry?

howierart

Mar 10, 2005
Has anyone got any digital camera recommendations for me. I have been using a Canon ixus 60 for the past few months and it is good to carry but I am finding the quality of the pictures it takes are limited due to its size. I would like to buy something a bit bigger but might find it hard to carry on my bike - Though I do ahve a small shoulder bag I have carried without discomfort for 100 miles or so. Does anyone carry anything as big as an SLR camera on rides, and what do people recommend in the £200 $300 bracket? Thanks.

howierart said:
Has anyone got any digital camera recommendations for me. I have been using a Canon ixus 60 for the past few months and it is good to carry but I am finding the quality of the pictures it takes are limited due to its size. I would like to buy something a bit bigger but might find it hard to carry on my bike - Though I do ahve a small shoulder bag I have carried without discomfort for 100 miles or so. Does anyone carry anything as big as an SLR camera on rides, and what do people recommend in the £200 $300 bracket? Thanks.
Casio makes some slim bodied pocket sized cameras of 5-6 megapixels in the $300 range. The models I'm thinking of are the S500 and S600: they are super thin with a fold-away lens body. Go to Casios sight or dpreview.com for a very in depth review. I wouldn't carry a full SLR on a bike- to much hassle for little gain.

ohgodnooo! said:
Casio makes some slim bodied pocket sized cameras of 5-6 megapixels in the $300 range. The models I'm thinking of are the S500 and S600: they are super thin with a fold-away lens body. Go to Casios sight or dpreview.com for a very in depth review. I wouldn't carry a full SLR on a bike- to much hassle for little gain.
I find that my Fuji A350 fits nicely in my backpack or saddlebag and does the job quiet nicely. The problem with SLRs is that you need to able to carry the lenses with it as well and that creates a weight issue.

So get yourself a nice slim model and you will be laughing and at moment they are as cheap as chips due to new models coming out.

Need to watch the lens quality on some of the small cameras. It happens that the resolution (megapixels) can be greater than the quality of the lens can do justice to. It is a marketing point.
Halcyon1

I bought a Panasonic DMC-LZ3S that's worked very well for me. The big zoom with image stabilizer makes all the difference.
The size is ok but the prices makes it almost disposable!

Do they make them with rubber coating? I did a 9-11 memorial ride and one guy tried taking a photo with a high-dollar camera, whilst riding. Oops.

howierart said:
From a photo enthusiast who has always used SLR (film), one day I decided to go for compactness, now for travel and longer rides I use an IXY 60 or Ixus 55 at 5.0megapixels and taking photos at full resolution and size. Use the camera to its fullest potentional I find the shots exeptional for its size and compactness.
I can take closeups of small insects like ants bugs, plant details, people to scenic shots etc.. of high quality, I find it compensates for light very well. I could easily print my shots at an 10x8 or A4 Size and be satisfied with the quality. Only downside 1-2/10 shots not so sharp as it's hard to focus via and LCD screen or the small viewfinder.

However having said that I have considered getting a Digital SLR as I prefer to use a real view finder and be able to have more control of my shots and higher quality photos, additional lenses etc. I geuss you need to decide whether race / training ride vs a photograph trip. If it is the latter I think it is worthwhile carrying an SLR in a backpack plus tripod, additional lenses if you are more serious about your photos. There are more lightweight options these days. Closest to your price range and light/compact I think Canon Eos 350D now replaced by the 400D, Nikon has an equivelant either the 70 or 100 but they are bulkier. I would suggest a backpack to carry the camera gear only. Keep your water in Bidon in the cage. A filled hydration pack with camera gear may make you more top heavy make you more vulnerable on corners at speed as your centre of balance will change.

*Everyday rides, snapshots these days I just use the 2megpix camera on my phone. :D

**Dang, I would love a EOS 5D even settle for a 30D :D:rolleyes:

***just a note about Digi compact vs SLR quality of photo varies depending who's holding and using the weapon. Just like racing a $1000 alloy bike vs $5000 composite bike- depends on the rider. :cool:

Thanks everyone. Just a quick point another reason why I dont want another Canon is because the movie mode is set to AVI which creates massive files. It is not a function I use all the time but is fun to use every now and again. However on the highest quality a 2 minute film can be 250 meg. Mpeg4 would be much better.

I just bought an Olympus u740. 7.1megapixel, 5x optical zoom. Takes good pics and Olympus say it's "all weather" which I take to mean I can put in my jersey pocket and not worry if it rains... wish I could say the same for my mobile phone :)

::dom:: said:
I just bought an Olympus u740. 7.1megapixel, 5x optical zoom. Takes good pics and Olympus say it's "all weather" which I take to mean I can put in my jersey pocket and not worry if it rains... wish I could say the same for my mobile phone :)
im having a little side-hijack of this thread... OP (howierart) can probably help me out too!
i was thinking about purchasing the ixus 60 to use as a "bike" camera, for its super-compact size (perfect jersey pocket fit) and rechargable battery options... is it worth it? i basically want something thats going to take decent pics and not run out of juice on epic road rides and is tough enough to handle a bit of dirt when out on the mountain bike.
If i wanted to take perfect pictures, i would use my 35mm slr or more likely take out the medium format monster... but these arent exactly feasible for chucking in the jersey pocket ;) plus the kit for both those cameras each weigh about the same as my road bike!

should i go for something a bit cheaper even? like i said, its a bash-around camera that im only going to use on the bike. I have no idea about this digital stuff...

your thoughts please.

I really like the Panasonic Lumix. It's really small, relatively fast and has a wide angle lens... They have them at Amazon for less than 300 bucks.

Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-fx01.jpg

Oh and it makes Quicktime movies... There may be a newer version out now...but make sure to get the wide angle one.

I love my Fuji S9000 9 Megapixel camera. It's got a 28mm to 300mm (wide angle to telephoto) lens which goes to 10.7x zoom on it's built in lens. ISO 1600 sensitively so it shoots real good in the dark photos.

Otherwise, for more portability, the Fuji E900 is great and I got that too. ISO 800 sensititivity, and the lens pops out real fast.

Use these cameras with a fast memory cards and they capture bikes races real well due to fast shooting.

I think Fujis are the best, and they use AA batteries or rechargeables so they good for trips.