Good Evans!

JAPANic

Aug 11, 2003
I thought Cadel was going to be at least a top 3 contender...

:(

Seems like he had to ride by himself much like he did last year.

Were there any stages or parts of the tour that he was helped along by a team-mate?

For the lack of help he had he did well....

JAPANic said:
Were there any stages or parts of the tour that he was helped along by a team-mate?
Horner helped when he could, but he was sick during the stages where it was critical. The whole team is built around McWhinger, with Evans left largely to his own devices. T-Mobile proved that trying to win both the green and yellow jerseys does not work very well. Evans needs to switch to a team that will give him support in the mountains.

Even so, Evans did a solid Tour. He weakened during the last few days, but he never broke. Surely he will learn from the experience and come back next year with a good shot at the podium.

Does anyone know when Evans' contract with Davtiamon ends? He needs better team support and Disco needs a rider who has the tools to win in Paris.

Bro Deal said:
Does anyone know when Evans' contract with Davtiamon ends? He needs better team support and Disco needs a rider who has the tools to win in Paris.
I cant see Evans on Disco, not sure why but...
recent word is Lance has been talking to Floyd.
WHy else did Lance go to Paris??
Certainly not to talk with Jean Marie Jabba the Hut.

bobke said:
I cant see Evans on Disco, not sure why but...
recent word is Lance has been talking to Floyd.
WHy else did Lance go to Paris??
Landis would be crazy to sign on as an employee of Armstrong, and he is not crazy. He will be racing with iShares in 2007.

There are a limited number of riders left. Sastre seems happy at CSC and he has a better team than Disco. Kloden will probably stay with T-Mobile, which is also a better team than Disco. Vino has his own team. Menchov received pretty good support from Rabo. Valverde has found fantastic success with CdE. Evans has miserable team support; he needs a better team.

He seems to lack a little strength. He went with every move that mattered in the Tour this year and couldn't make the effort stick. If he can find another 5 percent next year he may well get to the podium. He seems to have plenty of ability. I could be wrong but I think I read Dario Cioni is going to Lotto next year. That will help Evans in the Tour.

Evans reported a flat tyre in stage 20...without the mechanical,who can say what the final result would have been?
Perhaps Davitamon-Lotto will look at him in a new light and provide him with more support for next year.

Evans is almost there. Just a hair more. Perhaps that difference might come in better support. But, as Horner said in an interview, a great team can really help the top 3 guys because the onus is on those teams to control the race; but for a guy in somewhere between 5th and 10th, you just follow the wheels of the top guys; your team does not have to be in control all the time. Horner also went on to add that on the last climb, you're pretty much on your own. And Evans showed that he didn't quite have it on those final kicks. But he sure is close.

Catabolic_Jones said:
Evans is almost there. Just a hair more. Perhaps that difference might come in better support. But, as Horner said in an interview, a great team can really help the top 3 guys because the onus is on those teams to control the race; but for a guy in somewhere between 5th and 10th, you just follow the wheels of the top guys; your team does not have to be in control all the time. Horner also went on to add that on the last climb, you're pretty much on your own. And Evans showed that he didn't quite have it on those final kicks. But he sure is close.

As good a climber as he is he sure seems to have a very inefficient action. bike swings left to right... wonder if he should copy Lance a bit more and sit in the saddle and use a higher cadence. I was getting tired just watching him....

Im almost certain he signed for two more years with DVL earlier this year. Not that contracts mean a whole lot in cycling but thats where he will stay. I think the climbing help for someone like him is a bit overated. Though it would help with positioning, doesnt have to waste that little bit of energy trying to get a good wheel to follow, he seemed to get bumped off wheels very easily. I think he showed he just wasnt strong enough and 5th is about fair enough. Though i dont think it shows much improvement from last year. As impressive as Horner is the "problem" with having only him for help is, he needs to be 100% to climb in those front groups. If hes not, then i just dont think he will be there. Whereas having a climber like Cioni, he can have an off day and still hang in with the top group for awhile at least.

Aerts i dont think will be on the Tour team next year, with him making way for Cioni, whoes a close friend of Evans. Van Huffel would have to be a chance if his climbing improves and has a better season. Van Huf, Cioni and Horner is ample enough support for Evans. With Horner able to work for McEwen too.

definately signed with DL for 2 more years.

which concerns me, but at same time, pleases me. seems to be first time in a long time he's settled and happy, good place for him to be with aussie influence, after nasty years at TMO.

landis won it on his own, so it can be done. once the climbs kick in, youre on your own pretty much anyway. he knows who to follow so not too much of a concern. just couldnt seem to get that jump this year, not quite the spark to launch any form of attack, was basically holding wheels the whole time.

im a massive cadel fan and thought he wouldve won it. picked him to finish 2nd behind basso, pre-expulsions, so defiantely had him on top post-expulsions. interesting to note he finished ahead of landis last year at 8, to 9th?. yet landis seemed to rapidly improve, and cadel only tread water (remembering top 5 were out). his TT wasnt quite there either, after the excitement of earlier results this year/romandie in particular. anyway, im loath to bag anyone as theyre all absolute tough bastards and give the kitchen sink every day.....was just hoping for a touch more.

a climber or 2 would help him, horner's nowhere near the required level, but with mcewen forming the team around him for sprints/sponsor results/catching the eye, think cadel may well struggle to win one if he's there for great lenght of time. possible, but improbable.

A bit disappointed with Cadel's performance as well. As some of you have mentioned, he only sat on wheels and to the best of my knowledge did not attack once. I thought his 2005 performance was far superior, considering the riders who placed ahead of him. The other thing I noticed about Cadel is his preference to ride in the saddle, and rarely stands. Really at a disadvantage when those attacks come from the back, ala Sastre....

Also huge disappointment in the 2nd ITT. Overall time was ok, but did not expect him to be picked up by his 3 min man...