Good February Riding?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by [email protected], Feb 1, 2006.

  1. I've got 10 days off in the end of February and want to go west and do
    some riding. I'm looking for an area that is warm, easy camping,
    looooong remote xc rides, and maybe even some climbing nearby. I'm
    thinking New Mexico (?) but I don't know squat about the Arizona/New
    Mexico/South Utah area.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    j.

    Tags:

  2. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    New Mexico's good right now.

    You don't even have to go to the lower areas to ride right now. Word
    is that elevations to 10k are open, much to the chagrin of the ski
    resorts.

    I went for an after-work ride yesterday in the ABQ foothills and
    managed to get by with shorts. Temps for the future are in the 55-60s
    (brrrrrr). South of here is warmer, north is a little colder.

    Only problem is that it can get windy here during this time of the year
    as I'm currently finding out.

    Bruce

  3. No matter where you go, you need to be equipped for broad temperature
    swings of up to 40 deg F between day and night. Make sure to have warm
    camping gear. The Colorado front range is still dropping into the
    teens on most nights.
    Jim
    Fort Collins, CO
    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

  4. JD

    JD Guest

    oilfreeandhappy wrote:
    > No matter where you go, you need to be equipped for broad temperature
    > swings of up to 40 deg F between day and night.

    You've never been to SoCal in "Winter", have you?

    JD

  5. I have JD, but John's original post seemed to be talking about the
    Mountain West, and this 40 deg F swing between day and night pretty
    much holds true from Flagstaff and to the North.