good frame painter in Perth for 1984 Raleigh

davedbk

Jan 14, 2006
Hi guys,

I've been riding my kerbside recycled 1984 Raleigh Team Cadet 10 for the last twelve months and I'm thinking it time to replace the paint.

I'll keep the original colour scheme as it looks suitably classic and matches the professional team colours for that year. see link...

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Raleigh84/ral84_08.jpg

The banding and text is done with decals. If I cannot locate any, I'd like to get the bands and text painted. Also, the base white it actually a metallic off-white.

Two questions:

Do you know anyone who can do this in Perth?
What's it likely to cost??

Thanks,
davedbk

alfeng said:
Realistically, much more than the bike's [high carbon steel] frame is worth ...
This isn't just any 18-23 frame, it's the aero model with the aero down and seat tubes and the Space Shuttle decal on the top tube. Is it the first production aero road frame? Maybe.

... but Alfeng, you are probably correct.

Let's get a little more cash practical then.
  • How easy is it to match colour with powder coating?
  • Can you do metallic paints with powder coating?
  • If I get the metallic off-white with the blue front end done with powder coating, how reliably could I apply the blue, red and yellow bands?
  • Once I locate and apply the Raleigh text decals, how reliably would a home-done clear coat bond to the powder coated finish?
  • ...or would I need to keep away form powder coating for any one of the above reasons?
Thanks,
davedbk

I do all the prep work and have a good sand blaster and powder coater.

You get one base colour and add on to that with your own choice of paints, pin striping, etc.

gclark8 said:
I do all the prep work and have a good sand blaster and powder coater.

You get one base colour and add on to that with your own choice of paints, pin striping, etc.
Well gclark8, I'm glad I didn't rush into that one....

It's nice when learning a lesson destroys something that didn't cost. I was doing a sprint up to speed on a quiet section of bike path when I felt a weird sensation through the crank and alot of resistance on the chain.

I was running the Raliegh in singlespeed with the 5 speed freewheel still in place and a super-low drag setting on the cup and cone rear hub bearings (loose). My extreme power (yeah I know) misaligned the freewheel enough to jump from the 20T cog to the 22T... and the wheel didn't slip out of the dropouts... which meant that the chain stays buckled.

She rode crabstyle (semi-sideways) home with the chain rubbing on the outer ring.

Goodbye Team Cadet 10. :eek:

Lesson learnt? If your going to run your cup and cones loose, re-adjust every month.