Good grief....

Tony Raven wrote:

> I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?
>
> Tony
>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3723508.stm
>
> A deer survived a 25-mile ride in the bumper of a car after it was hit
> by a motorist travelling to work.
>
> The muntjac deer remained unnoticed by the driver who thought he had hit
> a stone and continued on his way.

Muntjacs really are vermin, although they haven't officially been
classed as such yet. I have little sympathy for them.

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?

If he thought he hit a stone, presumably he did feel (or at least hear) it.
Muntjac are pretty small.

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3723508.stm
>
>A deer survived a 25-mile ride in the bumper of a car after it was hit
>by a motorist travelling to work.
>
>The muntjac deer remained unnoticed by the driver who thought he had hit
>a stone and continued on his way.

In message <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>>I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?

>If he thought he hit a stone, presumably he did feel (or at least hear) it.
>Muntjac are pretty small.

Obviusly, to fit in that hole :)

I could imagine that the driver felt/heard the bump, looked behind in
the mirror to see what it might have been, saw nothing dead lying in the
road and then assumed it must have been a stone or some such
--
Chris French, Leeds

Tony Raven wrote:

> I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?

He probably thought it was just a cyclist.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Tony Raven vaguely muttered something like ...
> I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?
>
> Tony
>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3723508.stm
>
> A deer survived a 25-mile ride in the bumper of a car after it was hit
> by a motorist travelling to work.
>
> The muntjac deer remained unnoticed by the driver who thought he had hit
> a stone and continued on his way.

I'd have guessed, as he was driving a Rover, that he just thought another
bit had fallen off the car ... ;)

Sis-in-law had a Rover 400. Within a year of having it a front bumper
dropped off, nearside front door mirror fell off, interior mirror fell off
... amongst other bits going wrong .. ;)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

Alan Braggins wrote:

> If he thought he hit a stone, presumably he did feel (or at least hear) it.
> Muntjac are pretty small.

Yes they are small but not mouse small or so small that they aren't
obvious unless you have your eyes closed. And not so small and
lightweight that you could mistake hitting one for a stone bouncing up.

Tony

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:40:28 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>A [muntjac] deer survived a 25-mile ride in the bumper of a car after it was hit
>by a motorist travelling to work.

Muntjac or "vampire" deer are all Undead anyway. You have to put a
stake through their heart (or at least a garnish of juniper berries)
to kill them.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Muntjacs really are vermin, although they haven't officially been
> classed as such yet. I have little sympathy for them.

Well, even if they are vermin I think we could probably find a more
humane way of trying to kill them than crashing into them with a Rover!

What did they do wrong? I realise it must have been descended from
immigrant deer, as Muntjac are not a native British species, so I guess
it was sponging off the state, planning too large a family and was a
possibly a factor in deciduous woodland crime statistics but where do
you stop?

Is that nice Mr Michael Howard next for the chop? What would be a
suitable car? Answers on a postcard....

Julesh

wrote:

> I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?

Well, a bus driver hit a pensioner in Durham last year and failed to
notice. He dragged her body over a mile before stopping to check. Muntjac
are smaller than pensioners.

Colin

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd have guessed, as he was driving a Rover, that he just thought another
> bit had fallen off the car ... ;)

When visiting Romania there were two distinct classes of car: Modern western
European ones usually tailgating <1> Dacias trundling along at very sedate
speeds.
The Dacias are basically Romanian built Renault 12s and although production
only ceased this past summer they are typically rust boxes held together
with string and look unroadworthy to say the least.
Imagine how I laughed when I saw one of these wrecks towing a Rover 45.
Imagine how quickly I stopped laughing when relating this story to my sister
who quipped "I've got a Rover 45" :-(

<1> The worst offenders for tailgating with lights on full beam were, yes
you guessed, Kensington Tractors. To watch these looneys overtaking on the
hairpins of the Carpathians was interesting, unless they were approaching
head-on of course.

Pete

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:40:28 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I despair sometimes. How can he not have seen and felt this happen?

> Well, a bus driver hit a pensioner in Durham last year and failed to
> notice. He dragged her body over a mile before stopping to check. Muntjac
> are smaller than pensioners.

True, but buses are also bigger than Rovers.

Pete

Peter B vaguely muttered something like ...

> <1> The worst offenders for tailgating with lights on full beam were, yes
> you guessed, Kensington Tractors. To watch these looneys overtaking on the
> hairpins of the Carpathians was interesting, unless they were approaching
> head-on of course.

Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I guess
.... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)

http://groups.msn.com/LosiPaulsPictures/shoebox.msnw?Page=3

The pics on pages 1 and 2 are a little 'tamer' .. ;)

--

Julesh wrote:

> What did they do wrong? I realise it must have been descended from
> immigrant deer, as Muntjac are not a native British species, so I guess
> it was sponging off the state, planning too large a family and was a
> possibly a factor in deciduous woodland crime statistics but where do
> you stop?

They escaped from Woburn Abbey. They're crowding out native deer and
they eat everything the rabbits can't reach. Send 'em all home.

Peter B wrote:

> Imagine how I laughed when I saw one of these wrecks towing a Rover 45.
> Imagine how quickly I stopped laughing when relating this story to my sister
> who quipped "I've got a Rover 45" :-(

I was in the Isle of Man Hilton waiting for a taxi a couple of years
ago. "Look, there's an MG ZS in the car park", I said to my colleague,
"they're just pimped-up Rover 45s!".

The guy who had been sitting next to us in reception stood up, went out
and drove it away.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter B vaguely muttered something like ...
>
> > <1> The worst offenders for tailgating with lights on full beam were,

yes
> > you guessed, Kensington Tractors. To watch these looneys overtaking on

the
> > hairpins of the Carpathians was interesting, unless they were

approaching
> > head-on of course.

> Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I guess
> ... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)

Imagine how quickly I stopped laughing after stereotyping 4 x 4 drivers and
Paul posted pictures of his :)

Pete

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:4166c646.0@entanet:

> Julesh wrote:
>
>> What did they do wrong? I realise it must have been descended from
>> immigrant deer, as Muntjac are not a native British species, so I guess
>> it was sponging off the state, planning too large a family and was a
>> possibly a factor in deciduous woodland crime statistics but where do
>> you stop?

> They escaped from Woburn Abbey. They're crowding out native deer and
> they eat everything the rabbits can't reach. Send 'em all home.

Not "Shoot them and burn the bodies"?

--
Chris

"Peter B" <[email protected]>typed

> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Peter B vaguely muttered something like ...
> >
> > > <1> The worst offenders for tailgating with lights on full beam were,

> yes
> > > you guessed, Kensington Tractors. To watch these looneys overtaking on

> the
> > > hairpins of the Carpathians was interesting, unless they were

> approaching
> > > head-on of course.

> > Heheheh .. my 'Kensington tractor' is a little different to those, I guess
> > ... It does actually get used, and abused, off-road a _lot_ ... ;)

> Imagine how quickly I stopped laughing after stereotyping 4 x 4 drivers and
> Paul posted pictures of his :)

Ahbut have you read this gem from today's Ham & High...?

--------------------

WHIFF OF HYPOCRISY ON 4X4S

There is more than a whiff of hypocrisy from readers who rushed to
criticise me for driving a 4x4 (Letters September 24 & October 1).
Did none of your correspondents ever put their own and their families'
interests before those of others>
When I take my children to school, the road is so jammed with 4x4s that
I have to double park. So why no word of support in your columns from
the other drivers?
Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
window when my boys are leaping around in the back.

Mariana Vellacek, Talbot Rd, London N6

--------------------

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Ahbut have you read this gem from today's Ham & High...?

> WHIFF OF HYPOCRISY ON 4X4S
>
> There is more than a whiff of hypocrisy from readers who rushed to
> criticise me for driving a 4x4 (Letters September 24 & October 1).
> Did none of your correspondents ever put their own and their families'
> interests before those of others>
> When I take my children to school, the road is so jammed with 4x4s that
> I have to double park. So why no word of support in your columns from
> the other drivers?
> Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
> not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
> window when my boys are leaping around in the back.
>
> Mariana Vellacek, Talbot Rd, London N6

So who will she blame when she reverses into an unsuspecting pedestrian or
cyclist?

--
Chris

Monkey Hanger <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

> > Ahbut have you read this gem from today's Ham & High...?

> > WHIFF OF HYPOCRISY ON 4X4S
> >
> > There is more than a whiff of hypocrisy from readers who rushed to
> > criticise me for driving a 4x4 (Letters September 24 & October 1).
> > Did none of your correspondents ever put their own and their families'
> > interests before those of others>
> > When I take my children to school, the road is so jammed with 4x4s that
> > I have to double park. So why no word of support in your columns from
> > the other drivers?
> > Mr Guy King (October 1) is right that, in an ideal world,drivers should
> > not use mirrors to reverse, but I am not able to see through the rear
> > window when my boys are leaping around in the back.
> >
> > Mariana Vellacek, Talbot Rd, London N6

> So who will she blame when she reverses into an unsuspecting pedestrian or
> cyclist?

She blamed the car in her initial letter 3 weeks ago, when she said she
didn't have many accidents...

I'll ponder a response, as will my friend in Telford...