Good headphones

I use the inner ear model for the ipod and find them quite good. They keep out alot of the wind noise so you dont need to turn them up to load.

Just a question to all of those who are against wear earphones, I just don't understand the logic of your argument. I have been wearing one, just in the left ear, for years and have never had any problems with hearing cars.

jcjordan said:
I use the inner ear model for the ipod and find them quite good. They keep out alot of the wind noise so you dont need to turn them up to load.

Just a question to all of those who are against wear earphones, I just don't understand the logic of your argument. I have been wearing one, just in the left ear, for years and have never had any problems with hearing cars.
The auguement is coming from those who have never attempted to see if ear buds or whatever actually hender a person to a point of not being aware of their envioment. Most don't even listen to music anyway and can't relate to a person who does. Dont worry about them, ignore them like most of us do....

slyjackson said:
The auguement is coming from those who have never attempted to see if ear buds or whatever actually hender a person to a point of not being aware of their envioment. Most don't even listen to music anyway and can't relate to a person who does. Dont worry about them, ignore them like most of us do....
They are the people who can't walk and chew gum, or drive and use a cell phone, at the same time. I ride a motorcycle in traffic, with it, its hard to hear "traffic" around you with the helmut and engine noise from the bike, OPEN YOUR EYES AND SCAN YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

I think you can try this Sony In-The-Ear Headphones, I just used it for a couple of days, but they do provide the best noise blocking of any in-ear phones that I have tried. These earphones offer the best combination of isolation, sound quality, comfort, and easy on-and-off design. I can now travel in comfort and musical bliss for my commute without the need to constantly change volumes.

paul mc d said:
Thanks for all the replies and for your concern over my safety and the safety of other cyclists . Although i do like to hear the birds singing and the wind blowing and the rain hitting off my helmet and motorists screaming f u at me and other motorists, I do like to listen to some tunes now and again when I ride my bike and i do listen at low levels to make sure I can hear all the traffic and the people talking round about me , and if i ride with others I wouldnt be so rude as to wear headphones when out riding with them .
So as far as we have got on the headphones subject is that the ones that plug in to the ear are no good for riding as they block out too much external noise .
So are the ones that clip over the back of the ear better for riding or do they obstruct wearing cycling glasses and helmet .
I listen to tunes, and have for 20 years.

I use "earclip" type - I believe mine are Sony. Search for sony and MDRJ10, that's the type I use.

Not only are they comfortable and stay in place, I believe they allow more ambient noise in also, possibly mitigating the safety factor for all those BUSYBODY NANNIES out there who think we aren't capable of making safety decisions for ourselves.

By the way, if you'v got the tunes up so loud you literally can't hear enough to be safe on a bike, chances are you're ruining your hearing as well.

Camilo said:
By the way, if you'v got the tunes up so loud you literally can't hear enough to be safe on a bike, chances are you're ruining your hearing as well.
WHAT..............HUH...........SPEAK UP........WHAT.

:D

I've used about 6 different kinds of head phones in the last several years and finally found a pair I love. I use the headphones on my bike, running, and on my motorcycle. I've tried the clip on ones and the ones that sit in your ear (like the ones that come with an iPod, but they always fall out and /or get uncomfortable with a motorcycle helmet or skull cap on. The pressure hurts my ears. So I've found that the ones that sit inside my ear canal are best. I've tried three of them.

I tried the Bose Triport In-Ear Headphones (good sound quality, but expensive and not enough bass for $$) and Etynomics (very expensive, very clear high range, but NO bass at all, definitely not worth the $$) but neither of them sound very good. Both were around $100. While on a business trip recently, I left my headphones at home, so I picked up a pair of Skull Candy ear buds at a mall. They were $10. These are the ones I bought (link). I will never go back. Great sound, good bass for ear buds, very comfortable, comes with different size ear bud inserts, and for $10, I could destroy/lose these and not care at all. They are awesome, especially for the price.

I'll skip the safety debate for now, but my solution has been to ride with one headphone in and one out. Then I have tunes and pretty good awareness of what's going on around me.

ive tried listening to music with ibuds while cycling but i simply find wind noise to be too loud for me to hear my music without turning it up to an excessive volume. i think that earbuds and clipons would not do for this purpose and the only way is to use in-ear type headphones at the cost of awareness to some of your surroundings. audiophiles all rave about the JVC marshmallows HA-FX33 as "budget" in-ear type headphones. some modifications can be made to them to improve the sound quality, please google a forum called head-fi. otherwise you will be looking at Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3. now i have never been brave enough to try in-ear headphones while cycling, so please be aware of your own safety.