Good idea or bad?

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
My bicycle pump (a "Joe Blow") is very hard to pull off the valve stem after inflating a tire. It's so bad that I've blown a few tires trying to get the pump off the stem. I've thought about putting some vaseline on the valve stems to help the problem, but I don't know if getting vaseline into the pump would prevent it from sealing properly on the stem. Does anyone here know?

Pendejo said:
My bicycle pump (a "Joe Blow") is very hard to pull off the valve stem after inflating a tire. It's so bad that I've blown a few tires trying to get the pump off the stem. I've thought about putting some vaseline on the valve stems to help the problem, but I don't know if getting vaseline into the pump would prevent it from sealing properly on the stem. Does anyone here know?
Vaseline would not hurt the pump and would allow you to obtain an even tighter seal on the stem. It sould not be that hard to pull it off the stem though. You probably should replace at least the pump head(the chuck on the end of the hose that clamps onto the stem). I know that there is a replacement head available for the Joe Blow as I have used it myself. It comes as a head and hose but you can remove the head from the replacement hose and put it on your old hose, it's easier that way. It is fairly inexpensive, but then so is a new Joe Blow. It is on sale nearly all the time through Nashbar and Performance.

kdelong said:
Vaseline would not hurt the pump and would allow you to obtain an even tighter seal on the stem. It sould not be that hard to pull it off the stem though. You probably should replace at least the pump head(the chuck on the end of the hose that clamps onto the stem). I know that there is a replacement head available for the Joe Blow as I have used it myself. It comes as a head and hose but you can remove the head from the replacement hose and put it on your old hose, it's easier that way. It is fairly inexpensive, but then so is a new Joe Blow. It is on sale nearly all the time through Nashbar and Performance.
Thanks very much for the info, K. I'll follow up on it.

Pendejo said:
I've had similar problems with other pumps. Then I decided not to push the pump head too far onto the stem, just enough to let the pump push air into the tire. That worked for me.