Good idea? or just plain bizarre?!

Feanor

Jul 21, 2003
I know most of you dedicated roadies have little to no trouble pounding up steep hills turning large gears, but for "twiddlers" like me, that lofty goal is still a LONG way away :)

There are several moderate ascents on my normal ride and nothing is as frustrating, or makes me feel as much a failure as stopping on a climb within reach of the top or having to start to zig-zag just to survive to the top.

Maybe I am pushing myself too hard, or maybe my threshold for pain is far too low... whatever the reason, I created this little tool that tricks me into digging for that extra...

I watched the CBS special for the final stage of the Tour just as a capper to the OLN coverage, and the Host; Armen Kateyian (sp?) during one of his artistic voice over narrations about Domestiques (which was very touching) he made a comment that made me sit up a little... He said...

"Where do they find the strength to go on, It's simple physics really, the energy transfer from the endless line of cheering specatators..."

So the next thing I do is fire up the Tivo and sample the sound of the crowds during the race... I make several MP3s of the cheering at different instensities and even a few choice sound bits of Phil and Paul commentating...

Working them over a bit in the sound editor of my PC I looped sequences so they are seamless and insert commentary also without breaks in the continuitiy of sound...

So now, while riding, I don't listen to music at all, but the sound of the roiling, cheering crowd, an ocassional airhorn, clapping and shouting, I have one track for long flats where you hear only moderate applause and ocassional shouts, a downhill track with even less ambient crowd sound, a climbling track with more, and a "summit" track where the crowds are a continuous roar!...

Call me psychologically simple minded, but after using the sounds I haven't once stopped while on those moderate climbs, or had to zig zag... on one ocassion the timing was absolutely impeccable in its coincidence... I had the long climbing track running and instead of repeating it went on to the last track I was working on but forgot to delete; about 300 yards from the top I suddenly hear Phil Ligget saying "This is the moment everyone was waiting for! as he pulls away from Mayo! *pause* and look at this! Ullrich has been put into difficulty! he's desperately trying to maintain a rhythm and limit the damage!"

I think it was the fastest I've ever gone up that hill :)

am I a dork for having to fool myself into trying harder? or just easily distracted from concentration on the effort... Maybe even more accurately, I'm a damned egotists! hah!

Anyone want a copy of the MP3's? *laughing*

Feanor

Originally posted by Feanor
I know most of you dedicated roadies have little to no trouble pounding up steep hills turning large gears, but for "twiddlers" like me, that lofty goal is still a LONG way away :)

There are several moderate ascents on my normal ride and nothing is as frustrating, or makes me feel as much a failure as stopping on a climb within reach of the top or having to start to zig-zag just to survive to the top.

Maybe I am pushing myself too hard, or maybe my threshold for pain is far too low... whatever the reason, I created this little tool that tricks me into digging for that extra...

I watched the CBS special for the final stage of the Tour just as a capper to the OLN coverage, and the Host; Armen Kateyian (sp?) during one of his artistic voice over narrations about Domestiques (which was very touching) he made a comment that made me sit up a little... He said...

"Where do they find the strength to go on, It's simple physics really, the energy transfer from the endless line of cheering specatators..."

So the next thing I do is fire up the Tivo and sample the sound of the crowds during the race... I make several MP3s of the cheering at different instensities and even a few choice sound bits of Phil and Paul commentating...

Working them over a bit in the sound editor of my PC I looped sequences so they are seamless and insert commentary also without breaks in the continuitiy of sound...

So now, while riding, I don't listen to music at all, but the sound of the roiling, cheering crowd, an ocassional airhorn, clapping and shouting, I have one track for long flats where you hear only moderate applause and ocassional shouts, a downhill track with even less ambient crowd sound, a climbling track with more, and a "summit" track where the crowds are a continuous roar!...

Call me psychologically simple minded, but after using the sounds I haven't once stopped while on those moderate climbs, or had to zig zag... on one ocassion the timing was absolutely impeccable in its coincidence... I had the long climbing track running and instead of repeating it went on to the last track I was working on but forgot to delete; about 300 yards from the top I suddenly hear Phil Ligget saying "This is the moment everyone was waiting for! as he pulls away from Mayo! *pause* and look at this! Ullrich has been put into difficulty! he's desperately trying to maintain a rhythm and limit the damage!"

am I a dork for having to fool myself into trying harder? or just easily distracted from concentration on the effort... Maybe even more accurately, I'm a damned egotists! hah!

Feanor

Actually, and seriously you have a good idea. email the files to me.. I'll burn them to a Cd and give it a try myself and get back to you.

What about your sprint finish Feanor? :D

Sounds like a great idea.....as long as there is not "Rocky" soundtracks on it.

I'm always a little surprised at how much is mental. Once you've gotten used to the idea that you just aren't a person who has to stop on hills anymore, you may find the background unnecessary :) You're not a real egotist until you are so absorbed in gloating over your strength and technique that you no longer notice hills or long flats.

I'll have to give that a try - get the crowds cheering me on the next time I face Death Hill. That ride has become my personal nemesis - three miles long, don't know the grade but it's steep enough. Darn near died the first time I tried it, can make it up without stopping now. Next step - do it without using the granny gear. I'm getting closer to that goal...

Actually, I'm not too worried about hills anymore - as long as I do better today than I did last week, I'm happy.

There is a mean nasty hill I'd like to try that on if you still have the mp3 please send me a copy.

Feanor[/QUOTE]

What a great idea! I havn't looked at these boards for a little while, it's not nice biking weather here in MN. But...I've started going to the "Y" and riding the stationaries there. I NEED something to help me ride there. It's completely mental. It's just not as fun without the trees rolling by and the new roads to find etc. I would very much love a copy of the MP3's if you have them.

That is terribly cool. I've imagined myself thinking those things, but actually hearing them much be different.

Now when you start hearing your name being shouted from the crowd on you cd, you need to get out more.

Greatness! I've noticed the same thing when I am riding my trainer and watching a Tour DVD.

Every now and then when I am riding my neighborhood loop, my six year-old will come out to the road, clap for me and shout "Allez Papa, allez, allez!!!" :p

Feanor said:

Feanor

AWESOME IDEA!!!! - Can you please email the mp3's to [email protected] ? I have a high speed connection, so fire away. Thanks! GB