Good indoor trainer for a cheapskate?

tictactoe

Jul 21, 2003
I'm relatively new to cycling so I don't want to drop a lot of cash on a trainer, but I want to keep riding my road bike through the winter. I'm deciding between a fluid trainer and rollers, because in addition to training I'm sure my balance and spin could use a little work. I will be riding in an apartment with carpeting, if that makes any difference.

Please share your experiences with either fluid trainers or rollers, and if you can recommend a brand or model, that would be great too. Thanks!

Ok, this thread has gotten a ton of views, so people are obviously curious, but only 1 response. Please respond with your thoughts on trainers you may have used, what they cost, whether you thought they were worth it, or what you think is the best trainer for the money.

Thanks!

I've got a Tacx Cycleforce One magnetic trainer and a set of Tacx SportTrack folding rollers. Both cheapish (around AUD$340 and AUD$285 respectively, from memory), but the best I could get on the particular weekends when I decided I absolutely had to have such things. The rollers were the only set I could get "off the floor", in fact... the guy who served me at the bike shop said he personally hadn't anyone ask about rollers for years, although since they had a set there there must be some interest. The fluid trainers I've seen in catalogues and online here are AUD$480 or more, for comparison. I haven't tried them since none of the bike shops I went to had any in stock.

When I bought the Cycleforce One I tried a couple of other (even cheaper) mag trainers and the Cycleforce One was smoother than they were. It also felt much smoother and generally better than all the spinner bikes I'd tried out that day too (every model available in Sydney) bar one top end model, and I decided a $340 mag trainer was better value than a $2100 spinner bike. Definitely worth it from my point of view, I don't mind that the feel isn't as road-like as some other types of trainers since I'm not that serious about it yet.

The rollers are much more fun than the mag trainer, but as a newbie with a gotta-learn-to-ride-first hybrid that only juuuust fits when they're at maximum extension, I have to pay a fair amount of attention so the mag trainer gets a lot more use. I've got a computer set up in front of the mag trainer so I can surf the internet, read e-Books, pretend to work, or whatever, while pedalling away for hours. I could watch TV too, except there's nothing on.

What else? Um, my rollers chew tyres more than my mag trainer does, and they provide a lot more resistance than I expected (equivalent to one of the higher resistance settings on the mag trainer, possibly because I've got them extended so far). You need a BIG fan to blow lots of air around you when you're warmed up, even in winter (I've got a remote control one so I can be a wimp and start off without it when I'm cold, change the speed to suit my exertion level when I'm working, and then lower it or turn it off near the end of my cool-down).

That's about all I can think of. Have fun!

I don't understand the concept of rollers. I've never seen a picture of them along with the bike. Does the bike go on top?

Originally posted by spingirl33
I don't understand the concept of rollers. I've never seen a picture of them along with the bike. Does the bike go on top?
yeah, the bike goes on top.
here's a pic to clarify
Interbike_Larry_on_rollers.jpg