leave my bike in the knowledge that I have at least made an effort to stop
some little twerp from nicking it.

Some of the stuff I have seen would give me a hernia if I had to take it
with me and would just make my road bike twice as heavy, so I need something
compact and robust, hopefully enough to warrant an insurance company
endorsement.

Would ideally like to buy from Wiggle - anyone any experience?

Cheers

On 2004-07-17, Saint <[email protected]> wrote:
> Some of the stuff I have seen would give me a hernia if I had to take it
> with me and would just make my road bike twice as heavy, so I need something
> compact and robust, hopefully enough to warrant an insurance company
> endorsement.

I have an Abus X54, and if I was prone to hernias, I'd have already had
one. Its a very solid lock (Thatcham Gold for Mopeds or something like
that), but I think any solid looking D lock will be a deterrant enough.
The X54 is very well made, and has features to stop the mechanism being
killed by water ingress in winter and such, but it is really heavy.

They do a silver rated lightweight one aimed at cyclists which is probably
80% as strong, just as good as a deterrant (both being off the scale
for any normal thief), and a lot lighter with hopefuly the same quality.
I require a 300mm D rather than a shorter one to get between the trike's
frame and the adjacent lamppost or whatever. Going shorter will shave
off weight.

I bought from www.cyclexpress.co.uk who do good prices, and free fast
delivery, but have limited range. They have the X54, but it will either
give you a hernia or very strong legs, also the lighter 64 and some
other cheaper ones. I don't have any experience of these.

I also carry a thick Kryptonite accessory locking cable for situations where
the D won't reach a lamppost. I lock the D through frame and wheel, and
the cable through the D and whatever solid object I find.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/

> Some of the stuff I have seen would give me a hernia if I had to take it
> with me and would just make my road bike twice as heavy, so I need

something
> compact and robust, hopefully enough to warrant an insurance company
> endorsement.

Light weight and theif resistant are mutually exclusive. The more theif
resistant locks and chains/cables do weigh. a fair bit. You certainly
wouldn't want to cart around the Thatcham approved chain and lock that I
secure my bikes with in the garage.

On 17 Jul 2004, Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2004-07-17, Saint <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Some of the stuff I have seen would give me a hernia if I had to take it
> > with me and would just make my road bike twice as heavy, so I need something
> > compact and robust, hopefully enough to warrant an insurance company
> > endorsement.

> I have an Abus X54, and if I was prone to hernias, I'd have already had
> one. Its a very solid lock

I second teh vote. It's a good solid lock, and it's not light. I
don't carry mine round - it lives on teh bike racks where my commuter
steed gets locked up each day.

I'd like to point out, incidently, that while Richard and I both have
Trice locked by Abus X54, with twin lumis (one with a glow-ring),
occasionally pulling trailers, we are not actually the same person.
Also, I had mine first - he copied me!

I think I'll copyright the next thing I do, then sting him for
royalties.

> I lock the D through frame and wheel, and
> the cable through the D and whatever solid object I find.

The Abus D is just wide enough to fit round the crossover point of the
trice and go round a vertical pole. That's how I tend to lock up.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> I'd like to point out, incidently, that while Richard and I both have
> Trice locked by Abus X54, with twin lumis (one with a glow-ring),
> occasionally pulling trailers, we are not actually the same person.

I took mine to the tip today with the recycling box strapped onto the top of
it. Whilst there I met my parents in their car, and although they left the
tip before me, I got to our house quicker thanks to the direct off-road
cycle lane from the tip entrance to the estate I live on.

I was cycling quite fast, as the heavens had opened, and I was getting
soaked. The Trice is a wonderful towing machine, not really noticing the
trailer, even though I was going above the recommended 15mph to avoid
getting too soaked. It got so dark, I ended up using the Lumi in the
daytime for the first time.

> Also, I had mine first - he copied me!

We prebook the child extension or child trailer as prior art. Fingers
crossed, we'll have a child to go in it.

If you also claim to have had chemotherapy then perhaps we are the same
person, and one of us is being the other one when we're not looking. You're
welcome to join us on the next charity ride though, which I'll have to
organise for next year. Current thoughts are to head up to Pately Bridge
and around that way. I wouldn't know whether to use trikes or upright
tandem.

> The Abus D is just wide enough to fit round the crossover point of the
> trice and go round a vertical pole. That's how I tend to lock up.

I'd not tried that, but it may be easier at times. Mine goes around the
vertical bit of the rear triangle, and out sideways to whatever I lock to.
My cable is the kryptonite 10mm also on the CycleXpress web site. The D
lock clips neatly onto one of the seat supports when not in use, and tucks
behind the seat. The coiled cable sits on top of it, so leaving all the
rack space free.

I'm now known at work as the one that rides the bike with the pedals where
the steering wheel is meant to go.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street,
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.

Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> We prebook the child extension or child trailer as prior art. Fingers
> crossed, we'll have a child to go in it.

Best of luck. Hopefully we'll have one soon too - a child trailer that is;
we got the child to go in it about 7 months ago :)

Graeme

Graeme wrote:

> Best of luck. Hopefully we'll have one soon too - a child trailer that is;
> we got the child to go in it about 7 months ago :)

Congratulations. (S)he must be lovely - a bundle of joy, but hard work.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com
_/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/ _/ _/ Time is a one way street,
_/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twilight Zone.

Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Congratulations. (S)he must be lovely - a bundle of joy, but hard
> work.

Thanks. He is hard work at times, but worth every second, although the
nappy changing seconds aren't worth quite as much :-/

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Congratulations. (S)he must be lovely - a bundle of joy, but hard
> > work.

> Thanks. He is hard work at times, but worth every second, although the
> nappy changing seconds aren't worth quite as much :-/
>

> Graeme

you should enjoy him while he is a joy. And at that age, he'll be very
cheap to run. They get a lot more hardwork and a LOT more expensive.

still the pride in their achivements is something else :)
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.