Good Luck

Ryan Cooper

Nov 15, 2005
I recently ran in to some really good luck and I have a $5,000 cap to spend on a bicycle. I would like one that would last for a lifetime so I am thinking titanium. I would like to race but most most of all enjoy long rides( I allready have a track bike to race). There are no extreme mountains where I live so extra light is not a concern, stiffness is though. Any advice on this road bike? :D

Full custom. And listen to your builder. And if your builder won't listen to you keep shopping. Matt Chester, Carl Strong, there are lots of builders with good reputations. Pick one.

Or just chuck the whole load on some trek that comes in one of three exciting sizes and one of three million exciting discovery team graphics.

No bike lasts a lifetime. Changes in cycle design tend to obsolete a bike after around ten years, some times less. I have a magnificent classic, vintage 1970. Still rides okay, but it doesn't approach a modern cycle for convenience or flexibility.

I'd suggest you spend $2500 on a bike, and the other $2500 of a cycling trip through Europe. There is no greater pleasure than distance riding in a cycling friendly environment. Maybe a 'ride the tour route' package deal. Plenty of mountains on those rides...