good movie for motivation/inspiration?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Diggler, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Diggler

    Diggler Guest

    I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up everything
    I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for
    motivating/inspiration?

    I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about running before a race it only
    adds to the excitement.

    Thanks, Diggler

    Tags:

  2. I've ALWAYS liked "GI JANE". No matter how tough it gets, you can't drop out of the race.
    ANYBODY can drop out, but it takes a winner to finish! When you're struggling at mile 22, think
    about some of the parts of BUDS training from the movie and how she never gave up. If she can do
    it, so can you!

    Good luck in your race, remain focused on your goal!

    Lloyd Hanning

    "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like
    > know of a movie (or book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race.
    > I soak up everything I read but it's just
    articles
    > from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?
    >
    > I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about
    running
    > before a race it only adds to the excitement.
    >
    > Thanks, Diggler

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:19:53 GMT, "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    >book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up everything
    >I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for
    >motivating/inspiration?
    >
    >I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about running before a race it only
    >adds to the excitement.
    >
    >Thanks, Diggler

    I rented Chariots of Fire twice and fell asleep both times before it finished.

  4. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    i think you're doing it wrong at this point. i think you should escape and get away from "running"
    themes...not immerse yourself in more if it. you're now in the mental preparation "window". let me
    tell you what i'm now reading, "The Mammoth Book of Edurance and Adventure", Jon E. Lewis. Below is
    how Amazon describes the book.

    I'm half way through and a Marathon seems like a walk in the park compared to what these people
    endured and persevered through. I think this is the definitive book on marathon prep/motivation...
    It's a good read...and I think escaping running is good for the nerves, relaxing and takes the edge
    off the whole thing. Believe me...between the expo and the race....you'll be plenty drenched in
    running....
    ____

    Fifty vivid true-life accounts from the Great Age of Exploration, in the words of the intrepid
    adventurers who survived to tell the tale. Inspired by Sir Ernest Shackleton's account of his
    Antarctic expedition aboard the Endurance and including his own gripping tale of an 800-mile voyage
    across polar waters on a lifeboat, this anthology comprises fifty true-life adventures taken from
    contemporary memoirs, letters, and journals - among them, selections by Thor Heyerdahl on the Kon
    Tiki, Edmund Hillary on Everest, Robert Falcon-Scott on the South Pole, Chris Bonnington on the Blue
    Nile, Wilfred Thesiger on the Arabian desert, and Beryl Markham on her east-to-west flight across
    the Atlantic.

  5. jobin

    jobin Guest

    diggler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    > book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up
    > everything I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of
    > Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?

    try star wars - phantom menace. when you're feeling tired, think of jar jar binks following you.
    then you can say to yourself: jar jar following meesa. meesa needa run fastuh.

    as for a book, i've heard "into thin air" is pretty good. it's about an expedition to chomolungma
    (a.k.a. mt.everest).

    good luck jobs

  6. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    Something Lance Armstrong wrote in his book that I remember when I need to be motivated: Pain is
    temporary, quitting lasts forever.

    "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like
    > know of a movie (or book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race.
    > I soak up everything I read but it's just
    articles
    > from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?
    >
    > I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about
    running
    > before a race it only adds to the excitement.
    >
    > Thanks, Diggler

  7. Looking for Mister Goodbar, or House of 1000 Corpses.

  8. Amh

    Amh Guest

    "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s53>...
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    > book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up
    > everything I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of
    > Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?

    I'm with the other poster who fell asleep on CoF. Good movie but it is a long haul to get to the
    inspiration.

    For my money the best running movie is "Meatballs". Yes the teen camp movie with Bill Murry. Believe
    it or not there is a running theme that ends up being the highlight of the film. Pretty
    inspirational story too about being behind the odds, overcoming obsticles and teamwork.

    Andy

    > I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about running before a race it only
    > adds to the excitement.
    >
    > Thanks, Diggler

  9. John Moore

    John Moore Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:30:28 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] wrote:

    >as for a book, i've heard "into thin air" is pretty good. it's about an expedition to chomolungma
    >(a.k.a. mt.everest).

    Yes, in which a whole load of people die. Perhaps not the best thing for inspiration...

    J.

  10. Booner

    Booner Guest

    I found inspiration in the movie Rudy.

    "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s53...
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like
    > know of a movie (or book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race.
    > I soak up everything I read but it's just
    articles
    > from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?
    >
    > I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about
    running
    > before a race it only adds to the excitement.
    >
    > Thanks, Diggler

  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    me too.

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:19:53 GMT, "diggler" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like
    > >know of a movie (or book for the plane) that would get me even more
    pumped
    > >about running the race. I soak up everything I read but it's just
    articles
    > >from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?
    > >
    > >I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about
    running
    > >before a race it only adds to the excitement.
    > >
    > >Thanks, Diggler
    > >

    > I rented Chariots of Fire twice and fell asleep both times before it finished.

  12. jobin

    jobin Guest

    John Moore <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    >>as for a book, i've heard "into thin air" is pretty good. it's about an expedition to chomolungma
    >>(a.k.a. mt.everest).

    > Yes, in which a whole load of people die. Perhaps not the best thing for inspiration...

    yes, but death doesn't always have to be depressing. sometimes, hope arises out of death. sometimes,
    death gives rise to inspiration and ambition.

    as they say, earth to earth, dust to dust, ashes to ashes. death is just another part of the cycle.

    jobs

  13. jobin

    jobin Guest

    diggler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    > book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up
    > everything I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of
    > Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?

    if you want to listen to music, buy the soundtrack of "kikujiro." it's a japanese movie by takeshi
    kitano. excellent music.

    i bought the CD about 10 days ago and have listened to it about 20+ times already. very very
    uplifting, to say the least.

    you can find it on amazon.com or overstock.com.

    jobs

  14. Bagpoop

    Bagpoop Guest

    For me it was "Debbie does Dallas".

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:33:01 GMT, "booner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found inspiration in the movie Rudy.

  15. John Moore

    John Moore Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:39:22 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] wrote:

    >John Moore <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    >>>as for a book, i've heard "into thin air" is pretty good. it's about an expedition to chomolungma
    >>>(a.k.a. mt.everest).
    >
    >> Yes, in which a whole load of people die. Perhaps not the best thing for inspiration...
    >
    >yes, but death doesn't always have to be depressing.

    OK, how about this, then? 'Into Thin Air' is a book about a bunch of people who undertake what used
    to be regarded as a feat requiring superhuman toughness and preparedness. Over the years, though, as
    more and more people have accomplished this feat, it has come to be packaged as something which the
    man in the street can do, with a bit of prior training. Unfortunately, this isn't really the case at
    all, it all goes disastrously wrong and half of them die. Still think it's good motivation for the
    marathon? :)

    J.

  16. Orange

    Orange Guest

    I meant to pick up the Steven King book "The Long Walk" before my last marathon for a little
    motivation. Back when I was in high school (20+ yrs. now) I gave it a read. It's about a race where
    only one person can win. The contestants have to maintain a certain speed throughout a walk from
    Maine to some southerly state or get shot. Now there's some motivation!!!

  17. Leo

    Leo Guest

    I am certain that Layne would recommend "Porky's".

    (Sorry Layne, somebody had to say it)

    Leo

    diggler wrote:
    > I'm running the New York Marathon in less than a few weeks and would like to know of a movie (or
    > book for the plane) that would get me even more pumped about running the race. I soak up
    > everything I read but it's just articles from Runners World or the web. Never seen Chariots of
    > Fire...good for motivating/inspiration?
    >
    > I don't need more motivation but for me the more I am involved about running before a race it only
    > adds to the excitement.
    >
    > Thanks, Diggler

  18. David Drake

    David Drake Guest

    I watched Antwone Fisher before my first marathon. Very Inspiring!!!

  19. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:09:43 GMT, Leo wrote:

    >I am certain that Layne would recommend "Porky's".
    >
    >(Sorry Layne, somebody had to say it)
    >
    >Leo

    Rousted by a friend. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Here I am in a four-step program (they didn't think that Porky's
    was worth 12-steps but all fours seemed appropriate) about Porky's obsession and I get grief. Man,
    I'm already up to Super Troopers - Disco Beaver from Outer Space is next week (there's running in
    that, too).

    Bridges of Madison County would make me run but I don't think it would fal into the
    motivation/inspiration category.

    Layne

    The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running