Good news and bad news

Colin Blackburn

Guest
The good news is Wessex Trains have drop charges for reserving a bike
space, the bad news is they have banned non-folders from peak time
services.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3702921.stm

Bikes banned on peak-time trains

Taking bicycles on trains during peak hours is to be banned by rail
operator Wessex Trains.

The company blames a sharp rise in passenger numbers for the ban, saying
it has become problematic for them to compete for space with bikes.

As a compromise Wessex has dropped charges for reserving cycle space
during non-peak services.

The order has been imposed on trains arriving in Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter,
Plymouth and Truro.

Wessex Trains Managing Director said: "Our peak services into the major
towns and cities we serve have become very busy and we need to provide a
balance for the benefit of all passengers."

Peter Andrews, the director of Bristol-based Life Cycle said: "Getting
bikes on trains has progressively become more difficult.

"I can understand why they have imposed this ban when there are a lot of
people standing, it's pushing it to expect a lot of bikes on the same
train.

"We would hope that newer trains, which could have flip-up seats, could
solve this problem. We are trying to encourage the operators to think
about doing this."

The company will continue to allow folding bikes on trains.

The ban runs between 0700 and 0900, then between 1600 and 1800.

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Peter Andrews, the director of Bristol-based Life Cycle said:

> "I can understand why they have imposed this ban when there are a lot
> of people standing, it's pushing it to expect a lot of bikes on the
> same train.

Well done Peter, there's commitment for you!

Why does Wessex Trains persist with cramped, 'sprinter' trains on
cross-country routes? I'm thinking Portsmouth-Cardiff here -- a route I use
quite often.

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:28:51 +0100, "Simonb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> Peter Andrews, the director of Bristol-based Life Cycle said:

>> "I can understand why they have imposed this ban when there are a lot
>> of people standing, it's pushing it to expect a lot of bikes on the
>> same train.

>Well done Peter, there's commitment for you!
>
>Why does Wessex Trains persist with cramped, 'sprinter' trains on
>cross-country routes? I'm thinking Portsmouth-Cardiff here -- a route I use
>quite often.

I also (Portsmouth end; where are you?). The Bristol, Bath to South
Coast Multi Modal Study recommended all sorts of upgrades to this v.
busy service. The minimal improvement being the simple increase in the
size of the trains.

I just don't get it I'm afraid; Portsmouth to Cardiff is an intercity
route not a local commuter service so why not run something bigger
than the two carriage jobs they use at present.

Unfortunately, until the capacity is increased the bike ban is
acceptable. (Although, for consistency, they could also ban prams,
pushchairs, big luggage and wheelchairs).

Folders are still OK.

On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:12:32 +0100 someone who may be "[Not
Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I just don't get it I'm afraid; Portsmouth to Cardiff is an intercity
>route not a local commuter service so why not run something bigger
>than the two carriage jobs they use at present.

Given the level of leasing costs and the lack of alternative trains,
what do you suggest?

I have a suggestion. The four and five coach "Voyager" trains
currently causing problems on other routes would probably be ideal
for this line, but that means replacing them with better trains on
the lines they currently use. There is no money to do this.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> The good news is Wessex Trains have drop charges for reserving a bike
> space, the bad news is they have banned non-folders from peak time
> services.

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3702921.stm
>
> Bikes banned on peak-time trains

[...]

> Wessex Trains Managing Director said: "Our peak services into the
> major towns and cities we serve have become very busy and we need to
> provide a balance for the benefit of all passengers."

Interesting use of the word 'all' there.

"After my experience, I have come to hate war. War settles nothing."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:15:15 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:12:32 +0100 someone who may be "[Not
>Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>I just don't get it I'm afraid; Portsmouth to Cardiff is an intercity
>>route not a local commuter service so why not run something bigger
>>than the two carriage jobs they use at present.

>Given the level of leasing costs and the lack of alternative trains,
>what do you suggest?

I'll admit that rail economics is out of my area of expertise. But
*is* there a shortage of trains nationally? My limited knowledge
extends to there being new electric trains and diesels for Virgin, new
electrics for SWT and I think FGW have something shiny as well. What's
happened to all the old stuff? If it's still around then surely supply
and demand will take care of leasing rates.

Maybe all the old stuff has been scrapped or runs on the wrong sort of
electricity. In which case the TOCs need to raise prices a bit. Last
time I did Portsmouth -> Bath the advance ticket was less than the
cost of the petrol alone had I driven. (IIRC: £16 UKP vs 150 miles @
11p per mile petrol = £16.50 or £25 at a more realistic marginal cost
of motoring)

[Not Responding] wrote:

> I also (Portsmouth end; where are you?).

Southampton.

I go up to Cardiff and Bath a lot on this service. Having to displace
passengers in order to park the bike is pretty embarrassing (some of the
looks you get!). Then again, I have paid extra to carry a bike on and it's
not my fault there is no real provision for bikes (though sometimes they
have a cupboard-type-thing for bikes).

[Not Responding] [email protected]lid opined the following...
> Maybe all the old stuff has been scrapped or runs on the wrong sort of
> electricity. In which case the TOCs need to raise prices a bit. Last
> time I did Portsmouth -> Bath the advance ticket was less than the
> cost of the petrol alone had I driven. (IIRC: =A316 UKP vs 150 miles @
> 11p per mile petrol =3D =A316.50 or =A325 at a more realistic marginal co=

st
> of motoring)

For one person travelling from Peterborough (Huntingdon actually but it=20
doesn't affect the ticket price!) to Edinburgh, the train is cheapest.=20
When two travel, it is cheaper by road (Even with a YPR). And while I=20
certainly wouldn't encourage it, if there are *any* works on the track,=20
the journey can be completed faster by car. For the country that=20
developed rail travel, we really seem to be struggling with it!

Jon

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Unfortunately, until the capacity is increased the bike ban is
> acceptable. (Although, for consistency, they could also ban prams,
> pushchairs, big luggage and wheelchairs).
>
> Folders are still OK.

Even when crowded I've never had problems tucking my Brompton in the luggage
rack at the end ;-)

Tony

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:11:55 +0100 someone who may be "[Not
Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>What's happened to all the old stuff?

Most of it is not suitable, for many reasons. One of the reasons is
that it tends to be slower than the newer trains and as a result the
timetable would have to be rewritten to take account of the slower
trains. That is not easy.

As an example of the difficulties they can face, when the railways
here did not get the last of the new trains as quickly as expected
they had to keep some old trains running for a few months. The
timetable had been rewritten for all new trains, so there was a
problem as the old trains could not keep to it. The only solution
was to remove the middle coach, which was the only one with a
toilet, so the shortened old trains could keep to the timetable.

>If it's still around then surely supply
>and demand will take care of leasing rates.

You didn't believe what the Tories said about rail privatisation did
you?

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.