Good News/Bad News

Jobst Brandt [email protected] wrote:
> ...Similarly, no manufacturer of brakes could
> explain why bicycle disks are the only ones that are full of holes
> today. This appears to be a hold-over from the "gas bearing" myth of
> automobile drum brakes....

Since "weight weenie" cyclists often shop for components based on
catalog weights, a disc rotor with holes will have a competitive
advantage of a disc without. In addition, the holes catch the eye as a
perceived improvement over plain disc rotors, since the holes are an
added "feature". No engineering involved, just marketing.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Hank, The paint job looks great! That's a color I really like. Although
I think if I ever got a PX10, I'd keep it white. To me PX10s are white
even if it isn't as pretty.

>...Then it was a matter of rocking it back and
>forth in the bench vice with a crankarm another 10 degrees each time,
>until it spun free....

For the sake of my future knowledge, should I ever encounter this
situation, could you please further explain what you mean by the above
quote and how that would cause a crank bolt broken at the head to come
out of the spindle?
There's something I don't understand here,

Thank you, John

Hank, The paint job looks great! That's a color I really like. Although
I think if I ever got a PX10, I'd keep it white. To me PX10s are white
even if it isn't as pretty.

>...Then it was a matter of rocking it back and
>forth in the bench vice with a crankarm another 10 degrees each time,
>until it spun free....

For the sake of my future knowledge, should I ever encounter this
situation, could you please further explain what you mean by the above
quote and how that would cause a crank bolt broken at the head to come
out of the spindle?
There's something I don't understand here,

Thank you, John

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Nazis! ******! There, stopped ya. [See Godwin]

> > Ineffectual. See Quirk's exception.
> >
> > Furthermore you manifest a common misconception: that a
> > thread is over when a comparison to ****** is made. The
> > law is that as a thread continues to grow the probability
> > that someone will draw a comparison between one
> > personality and ****** approaches one.
> >
> > A personality drawing a comparison between another
> > personality and ****** is considered to have lost the
> > argument.
> >
> > Finally, it is considered poor form to explicitly invoke
> > the law.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press

> But nobody brings up the true relevance of ****** to cycling threads. Do you
> recall ever seeing photos of him wearing a helmet? Then think about Michael
> Dukakis. He's known as the man who lost an election because he wore a helmet
> in a photo where he's driving a tank. Wear a helmet, look like a dork, lose
> everything. Don't wear a helmet, become an egotistical fascist and lose
> everything.
>
> Helmets are for dorks. Fascists don't wear helmets. Everybody loses.

Ah, umm ... yes, Mike.

--
Michael Press

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> writes:

>Quoth Jobst Brandt:

> > Campagnolo people are not engineers but rather sales
>> people, the engineers being Italian and staying mainly in Italy. The
>> people on the stand at the show repeat the American mantra we hear on
>> this forum of no grease.
>>
>> Why this is believed is not explained

>As a former believer in "no grease" I think I can perhaps exlain it.

>The concern is that over time, after multiple cycles of
>removal/re-installation of the crank, the hole may become enlarged. The
>belief is that the presence of grease, allowing the crank to go farther
>onto the spindle for a given amount of torque, will accelerate this
>enlargement.

>There may have been a bit of truth to it back in the days of
>cup-and-cone bottom brackets, when cranks needed to regularly be removed
>for bearing overhaul/adjustment.

>Now we use cartridge bearing bottom brackets, so the cranks only come
>off when a new bottom bracket unit is needed (not all that often!)

>Thus the concern over deforming the crank's hole is much less well taken
>than it was hithertofore.

>Indeed, if you don't grease it, and leave it on until the cartridge bb
>croaks, you are running a great risk of stripping out the extractor
>threads when the time does come.

A very lucid explanation, thank you sheldon.

It used to be that crankset lives were governed by spider fracture and
snaps (many at the pedal eye.) Now that we have much more reliable
cranks with chainring bolts on the 5th crank arm, and much beefier
pedal eyes, will the age of cranks as measured by bottom bracket
removal/replacement cycles start to creep back up like days of yore ??

in that case, don't grease the spindle when you install a crankset arm
onto the bottom bracket, *grin*.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> I'm still waiting to see my first failure of an Octalink crank due to
> elastic backlash. Actually, I'm still waiting to see my first failure
> of an Octalink axle/crank attachment period. Well, OK, second one. We
> did see one a couple years ago where a shop had somehow managed to
> tighten it down across the *top* of the splines, instead of mating
> the surfaces. Don't think that counts in this discussion.

And, in fact, I've done that at least twice now, and no damage was done.
(Scared the hell out of me first time with brand-new D-A triple crankset,
though, I must say!) I didn't RIDE 'em like that, but I sure had tightened
'em down.

Ran XTR cranks on an Ultegra BB with zero problems (other than wearing out
middle ring and not finding an inexpensive replacement to this day); same
thing with Ultegra/105 and D-A/D-A. Stiff, solid, tight -- what's not to
like?

Bill "Shimano's alright w/me" S.

Donald Gillies redundantly wrote:
> ...crank arm...
> ...crankset arm...

How about "crank"?

--
Tom "Cranky" Sherman - Fox River Valley

Tom Sherman writes:

>> ...crank arm...
>> ...crankset arm...

> How about "crank"?

Dictionary:

# crank (noun)

# 1 : a bent part of an axle or shaft or an arm keyed at right angles
# to the end of a shaft by which circular motion is imparted to or
# received from the shaft or by which reciprocating motion is changed
# into circular motion or vice versa

It used to be the English who brought us "set" theory but embellished
speech is now rampant everywhere, crankset arm, chainset, frameset,
brakeset, hubset,...

Coming soon: impactset to replace effect/affect.

Jobst Brandt

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> #2: Shimano is one of the most forward-thinking companies out there,
> and is very progressive about product issues. If they saw a product
> fail, and identify a way to improve it, they do. But to suggest that
> that means prior product is poorly designed and likely to fail is a
> leap that I don't feel is justified.

While you were probably being whimsical, the newest trendiest class-action
products liability theory and practice is exactly that - purported design
and manufacturing defects which _may_ evolve into actual failures, with
ensuing injury.

Over here, I just get to read about this. Perhaps Brother Beattie can offer
more insight. It does strengthen my feeling that good lawyer advocacy is
nigh to speculative fiction writing.
--
Sandy

The above is guaranteed 100% free of sarcasm,
denigration, snotty remarks, indifference, platitudes, fuming demands that
"you do the math", conceited visions of a better world on wheels according
to [insert NAME here].

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> #2: Shimano is one of the most forward-thinking companies out there,
> and is very progressive about product issues. If they saw a product
> fail, and identify a way to improve it, they do. But to suggest that
> that means prior product is poorly designed and likely to fail is a
> leap that I don't feel is justified.

To follow up with two references :

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=35734&searchresults=1

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=31747&searchresults=1

The second one may be particularly interesting in this forum.
--
Les faits relatés ici ne sont que pure fiction, et ne sauraient être
utilisés ou rapprochés d'une situation réelle existant ou ayant

"john" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hank, The paint job looks great! That's a color I really like.
> Although I think if I ever got a PX10, I'd keep it white. To me PX10s
> are white even if it isn't as pretty.

It may not be authentic for the '75 vintage, but Sheldon's blue '72 PX10
gives me some plausible deniability...

>>...Then it was a matter of rocking it back and
>>forth in the bench vice with a crankarm another 10 degrees each time,
>>until it spun free....

> For the sake of my future knowledge, should I ever encounter this
> situation, could you please further explain what you mean by the above
> quote and how that would cause a crank bolt broken at the head to come
> out of the spindle?
> There's something I don't understand here,
>
> Thank you, John

The stump stuck out about half an inch, on which I filed flats. I
clamped the stump in the vise. When it broke, I was only trying to
loosen it, forgetting that, like when tapping threads, one must back off
before going too far forward, lest the tap get stuck. With the stump
secured, I tightened the bolt, then loosened it. Each time back and
forth increased the range of motion until the bolt was free of the
spindle's damaged threads.

I tapped it out the next day. About an inch in, I thought I'd bottomed
out, so I backed the tap out and measured the depth of the hole with the
WD40's straw, and saw I had quite a ways to go. Using plenty of oil and
lots of back-and-forth, I got the threads cleaned out and the extra-long
campy bolts have no problems now.

I hope that makes sense.

-Hank

In article <[email protected]>,
Johnny Sunset ([email protected]) wrote:

> Jobst Brandt [email protected] wrote:
> > ...Similarly, no manufacturer of brakes could
> > explain why bicycle disks are the only ones that are full of holes
> > today. This appears to be a hold-over from the "gas bearing" myth of
> > automobile drum brakes....

> Since "weight weenie" cyclists often shop for components based on
> catalog weights, a disc rotor with holes will have a competitive
> advantage of a disc without. In addition, the holes catch the eye as a
> perceived improvement over plain disc rotors, since the holes are an
> added "feature". No engineering involved, just marketing.

AND, if one asks nicely, the lads at Hope will laser-cut letters into
the disc. Those on my Speedmachine have the word "Speedmachine" write
thereupon, though I hasten to add that this was the doing of Darth
Stuart, not me...

Frozen gorillas can be used to control the temperature of a warm and
stuffy room.