Good News, Bad News??

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    And may I add," Damn Computers!!" I had this written once and while trying to touch type, hit some
    combination of keys that erased everything. Sheesh.

    To continue, or begin again:

    5 miles into my ride this morning, I put full torque to the pedals to get across an intersection,
    rather than waiting a long time for the next opportunity. On the second pedal stroke "POW" the chain
    snapped!!!

    As always, there are several explanations:

    First: All the riding is paying off and my legs of steel are now capable of snapping steel chains.A
    good thing!!

    Second: Maybe I screwed up adding links and didn't get the pin centered. A bad thing!!

    In any event, I'm five miles from home, with no socks on, with a low racer. Not an
    enviable position.

    Putting on my best McGyver face, I inventory the situation: I am prepared to fix a flat.And I have a
    fishbone wrench and a pair of cheap pliers. Things look grim!!

    I search the intersection, thinking a master link has come off. I feel like a vulture eating road
    kill, running from oncoming cars at the last second. No Luck. There is no link to be found. Neither
    is there a spare in the tool bag. (Note to self: Get spare master link.)

    Then, I look at the chain for the first time.AHA!!!! A link has simply pulled apart. This is where
    the legs of steel hypotheses come up. Then I notice a master link two links away. That's how I
    adjust chain length; two links at a time. Dang!! Second theory wins. But the situation is repairable
    with supplies on hand.

    Using my cheap pliers and a sharp corner of the fishbone, I finally manage to pop the master (why do
    they call them whatever the name is. they lie, It's a bitch getting a master link apart.}. The
    missing two inches of chain is no biggie. Soon, like Willie Nelson, I'm singing "On the Road Again".
    Nothing worse than filthy hands to show for the experience.

    The wind is really blowing, at about 15 miles, I turn downwind. I'm able to spin out in 46/ 13.
    Estimate 26 mph.(Spin out is probably 95 or 100 rpm for
    me).That's a first for me on the flat.

    Got home safely. The ham in the oven is okay. A happy end to another ride.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

    Tags:

  2. "Tom Blum" skrev...
    > Using my cheap pliers and a sharp corner of the fishbone, I finally manage to pop the master (why
    > do they call them whatever the name is. they lie, It's a bitch getting a master link apart.}. The
    > missing two inches of chain is no biggie. Soon, like Willie Nelson, I'm singing "On the Road
    > Again". Nothing worse than filthy hands to show for the experience.

    Aw boo. I thought we were going to get a real MacGuyver tale about how you fixed it with 3
    grassstraws, a bottlecap and 2 dead mice and then you just use the masterlink. :)

    I always ride with a chaintool. Saved me some walking on one occasion.

    Mikael

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Don't know what brand of chain you're using,but SRAM masterlinks are very easy to remove ,no tools
    needed,I always carry a couple extras,just in case. Ben fox "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > And may I add," Damn Computers!!" I had this written once and while trying to touch type, hit some
    > combination of keys that erased everything.
    Sheesh.

    > To continue, or begin again:
    >
    > 5 miles into my ride this morning, I put full torque to the pedals to get across an intersection,
    > rather than waiting a long time for the next opportunity. On the second pedal stroke "POW" the
    > chain snapped!!!
    >
    > As always, there are several explanations:
    >
    > First: All the riding is paying off and my legs of steel are now capable
    of
    > snapping steel chains.A good thing!!
    >
    > Second: Maybe I screwed up adding links and didn't get the pin centered. A bad thing!!
    >
    > In any event, I'm five miles from home, with no socks on, with a low
    racer.
    > Not an enviable position.
    >
    > Putting on my best McGyver face, I inventory the situation: I am prepared
    > fix a flat.And I have a fishbone wrench and a pair of cheap pliers. Things look grim!!
    >
    > I search the intersection, thinking a master link has come off. I feel
    like
    > a vulture eating road kill, running from oncoming cars at the last second. No Luck. There is no
    > link to be found. Neither is there a spare in the
    tool
    > bag. (Note to self: Get spare master link.)
    >
    > Then, I look at the chain for the first time.AHA!!!! A link has simply pulled apart. This is where
    > the legs of steel hypotheses come up. Then I notice a master link two links away. That's how I
    > adjust chain length;
    two
    > links at a time. Dang!! Second theory wins. But the situation is
    repairable
    > with supplies on hand.
    >
    > Using my cheap pliers and a sharp corner of the fishbone, I finally manage to pop the master (why
    > do they call them whatever the name is. they lie, It's a bitch getting a master link apart.}. The
    > missing two inches of
    chain
    > is no biggie. Soon, like Willie Nelson, I'm singing "On the Road Again". Nothing worse than filthy
    > hands to show for the experience.
    >
    > The wind is really blowing, at about 15 miles, I turn downwind. I'm able
    > spin out in 46/ 13. Estimate 26 mph.(Spin out is probably 95 or 100 rpm
    for
    > me).That's a first for me on the flat.
    >
    > Got home safely. The ham in the oven is okay. A happy end to another ride.
    >

    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

  4. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    Right on Tom, it's always satisfying to handle a tough situation "on your own", and make it home.
    Just last weekend when I was coming home from riding with you guys, I had a flat tire on the truck,
    and the spare was flat. I wound up rolling the spare into a dive shop 2 miles away, and then walking
    it back, but I didn't have to call anybody. By the way, was it a 9 speed chain that broke?? your
    pal,Mark C.

  5. Chere

    Chere Guest

    LOL!!! "I feel like a vulture eating road kill" ........ or the character "Skink" in a Carl
    Hiaasen novel.

    Nothing worse than blowing the opportunity to flaunt those "bands of steel" in the middle of an
    intersection. Good work on the eventual fix!

    By the way, an accidental deletion of an email composition can sometimes be cured with "edit" -
    "undo"; it will (sometimes) bring back the text if you do it immediately (before typing again).

    That was a fun post to read Tom. Add "good writing skills" to your list of "things in
    which I excel".
    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  6. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Me with 9 speed parts???

    I'm a budget biker. I crept into the 7 speed era a few years ago. Three chains at $20 would break
    my spirit.

    It was a WalMart chain at $8 ea. ,prox. But, it wasn't really the chain's fault, since it came apart
    at a link I had added. I've never peened over the outside of the pin on a splice. Maybe I didn't get
    the pin centered?? Who knows.

    A spare link or two and a small chain tool are being added to the tool bag
    mix.

    Tom

  7. Mark, For what its worth I have not changed a flat tire on my truck in years. I carry a good 12 volt
    powered pump and a plug kit. 10 minutes and I'm rolling again. As for the bike. My last flat was not
    really a flat but a blowout caused by my own dumbass. The tire should have been replaced before the
    ride but I said to myself...Its ok it will make another century. Sorta the "Cobbler has holes in his
    shoes" I have had a Shimano chain part on me at the solid replacement pin. Today I shy away from the
    Shimano chain and use only the mid to top grade SRAM and the top of the line KMC with quicklinks.
    The QLs work well with any 9 speed chain. Like another poster, I carry one or two with me. They are
    also available for the wider chains.

    news:[email protected]...