Good News! Joe Breeze Abandons the Mountain Bike for Practical Bikes!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. A word to the wise....

    Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:28:01 -0800 From: [email protected] Subject: Google News Alert
    - mountain biking

    JOE Breeze Wants To Change The World...Again Bicycling ... He was the reigning genius among the
    Northern California cohort, of which Gary Fisher is best known, that is widely credited with turning
    mountain biking into ... <http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,5073,6347,00.html?category_id=363>

    This once-a-day News Alert is brought to you by Google News (BETA)...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Create another News Alert:
    http://www.google.com/newsalerts

    Try Google News: http://news.google.com/
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A word to the wise....
    >
    > Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:28:01 -0800 From: [email protected] Subject: Google News
    > Alert - mountain biking
    >
    > JOE Breeze Wants To Change The World...Again Bicycling ... He was the reigning genius among the
    > Northern California cohort, of which Gary Fisher is best known, that is widely credited with
    > turning mountain biking into ...
    > <http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,5073,6347,00.html?category_id=363>
    >
    > This once-a-day News Alert is brought to you by Google News (BETA)...
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Create another News Alert:
    > http://www.google.com/newsalerts
    >
    > Try Google News: http://news.google.com/
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Joe Breeze is a pragmatist. He observed and commented a couple of years ago that mountain biking was
    dying. He is a businessman so he is concentrating on street bikes now.

    Terri Alvillar

  3. N Grover

    N Grover Guest

    But Mike, what about the picture of Joe with a commuter bike on top of a Mountain? He has a good
    vision, and he is still a mountain biker!

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    They look like the Schwinn Speedsters. I picked up a '78 Speedster at a local hock shop for $40.
    Recycling (pun intended) sure beats buying new for true environmentalism.

    I think Dan Koeppel is a POS for digging up and publishing what became of Richard Breeze.

    JD

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 8 Dec 2003 08:04:36 -0800, Terri Alvillar wrote:

    > Joe Breeze is a pragmatist. He observed and commented a couple of years ago that mountain biking
    > was dying. He is a businessman so he is concentrating on street bikes now.

    Prove it. Nowhere in that long-winded article did he say that mountain biking was dying. Certainly
    as a businesman it makes sense to stay out of an overcompetitive field, and mountain bike
    manufacturing is certainly that; many small manufacturers have shut down.

    Check www.breezerbikes.com - These are either copies of just European bikes or re-branded European
    bikes. I saw several that looked just like these last summer in Europe (and rode a few). Saying he's
    trying to "change the world" when he's just copying what others are doing is not just a huge
    overstatement, but downright silly reporting.

    If you're looking for a nice town bike, check www.electrabikes.com. Those are some nice designs, far
    more creative than Breeze's "new" rip-offs.

  6. MattB

    MattB Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 8 Dec 2003 08:04:36 -0800, Terri Alvillar wrote:
    >
    > > Joe Breeze is a pragmatist. He observed and commented a couple of years ago that mountain biking
    > > was dying. He is a businessman so he is concentrating on street bikes now.
    >
    > Prove it. Nowhere in that long-winded article did he say that mountain biking was dying. Certainly
    > as a businesman it makes sense to stay out of an overcompetitive field, and mountain bike
    > manufacturing is certainly that; many small manufacturers have shut down.
    >
    > Check www.breezerbikes.com - These are either copies of just European bikes or re-branded European
    > bikes. I saw several that looked just like these last summer in Europe (and rode a few). Saying
    > he's trying to "change the world" when he's just copying what others are doing is not just a huge
    > overstatement, but downright silly reporting.

    I had a look. Those look like pretty nice town bikes, but I agree there's nothing revolutionary
    going on there. Oh, and I also agree that mountain biking isn't dying. But Terri, feel free to
    believe it is. Maybe your cause has already succeeded and you can move on to something else. Maybe
    backcountry skiers should be your next targeted group. You can ignore users like snowmobiles (as you
    do with motocross and ATVs) and focus on the "damage" skiers do to the snowpack. They put lines all
    over it that scar the snow until it snows again or melts! Oh the horror!

    > If you're looking for a nice town bike, check www.electrabikes.com. Those are some nice designs,
    > far more creative than Breeze's "new" rip-offs.

    I agree. My wife rides an Electra Betty (it's all pink and white - very girly). It's pretty sweet.
    It has a three speed hub that has an efficent feel to it.

    Matt

  7. On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:31:24 -0600, "N Grover" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .But Mike, what about the picture of Joe with a commuter bike on top of a .Mountain? He has a good
    vision, and he is still a mountain biker!

    Yes, on pavement.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:03:06 -0500, John Harlow wrote:
    > Looks like China is headed the other direction:
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/12/09/china.bike.ban.ap/index.html

    Ah, that would be Mike's crusade to reduce "auto dependence". Looks like that's going equally as
    well as his anti-MTB mania.