Good News!

"PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>And do pushbikes have pedestrian-friendly crumple zones? I would imagine a narrow tyre hitting a
>limb at 25 mph would do more damage than a broad bumper.

Well I don't know but I imagine a bicycle that hits a ped at 25 mph will stop fairly quickly after
dispensing most of its mass onto the ground or onto the ped (this mass being the rider) wheras a car
will carry on a bit further. Of course if a car hits the ped they may slide gracefully and
relatively painlessly up the bonnet but again I don't really know and otoh they may get dragged
under the vehicle. In truth I imagine there are so many variables be it bike or car that its hard to
predict the outcome.

Pete

> > A motorised armchair can be made legal, so I think
> > it just needs the two barking systems and reflectors.

Well I've got some spare reflectors in the garage and two black labradors so with the simple
addition of a motorised armchair I'm ready to rock and roll. I rather think the dogs will enjoy it.

<Makes note> Check out Ebay for motorised armchairs.

Pete

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:16:12 +0000, [email protected] (Steve
Firth) wrote:

>> That might be because you are not riding a recumbvent bike with hydraulic disc brakes, like
>> I am ;-)

>Oh one of those. Pointless wankers who wobble all over the road and can't be seen.

Pretty much representative of your general standard of debate thus far, I'd say.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Nick Finnigan wrote:

> Well, I've got two legs; a single wheeled roller-blade
> on each leg looks like two uni-cycles (in principle).

Have you tried riding one? Even in-line skates have a measure of fore-aft stability, but one wheel
alone does not.

> A motorised armchair can be made legal, so I think
> it just needs the two barking systems and reflectors.

Woof!

James

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:16:12 +0000, [email protected] (Steve
> Firth) wrote:

>>> That might be because you are not riding a recumbvent bike with hydraulic disc brakes, like I
>>> am ;-)

>> Oh one of those. Pointless wankers who wobble all over the road and can't be seen.

Just perplexed as to how you know what they are doing and where they are going whilst they are doing
it if you can't see them.

Some sort of ESP or are you working by touch?

..d

> > Coming full circle, a fixed wheel bicycle does have two braking systems.
>
> So we can agree that all cycles need to have two braking systems, with the exception of some
> unicyles?

What do you mean " we"? That was my position all along , it was you that said that all cycles need
two brakes. When in actual fact some bicycles need only one and other cycles need none at all.

Stevie D wrote:

> RJ Webb wrote:
>

>>rly?
>>

>>>You looked like you were doing ok when you dangled your kid out that hotel window. Good luck in
>>>court "Michael". Personally I hope you get the chair.
>>
>>Yes ! - The Comfy Chair!
>

> No! Not ... the Comfy Chair!

aaaaaaaaaarrggghhhh

"Steve Firth" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I think you have your stats in a spin there. There's a difference (IMO) between a car out of
> control mounting the pavement and a deliberate decision to ride on the pavement.

Certainly. . I don't know what motivates cyclists to ride on the pavement, maybe perceived dangers
of the road, convenience, thoughtlessness etc.

Now what causes cars to get out of control and mount the pavement? There's a clue there somewhere I
think...ah yes, "out of control", I think this implies the car is no longer in control but wait, a
car has no control other than the driver, so what is implied is that the driver has arrived at a
situation where they are incapable of controlling the car, who's fault is that then? True, the
driver may be taking evasive action to avoid an errant ped or cyclist but all the cases I can recall
were down to vehicle defects, inappropiate speed or in some cases a deliberate attempt to maim or
cause fear that has gone wrong.

And don't think I'm sympathic to pavement cyclists because I'm certainly not having nearly been
cleared up by them, having my wife nearly cleared up by one and the fact they bring cyclists into
disrepute but at the end of the day we're still more at risk from "out of control" cars mounting the
pavement and the motor vehicles running red lights at pelican crossings when walking and all kinds
of motorised idiots when cycling and driving so let's keep a sense of perspective.

Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > A motorised armchair can be made legal, so I think
> > > it just needs the two barking systems and reflectors.
>
> Well I've got some spare reflectors in the garage and two black labradors
so
> with the simple addition of a motorised armchair I'm ready to rock and roll. I rather think the
> dogs will enjoy it.
>
> <Makes note> Check out Ebay for motorised armchairs.

Like this one?

http://www.cummfybanana.com/cars/car_casuallofa.htm

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:29:21 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now what causes cars to get out of control and mount the pavement?
[...]
>but all the cases I can recall were down to vehicle defects, inappropiate speed or in some cases a
>deliberate attempt to maim or cause fear that has gone wrong.

I recall a case prosecuted by a friend of mine where the driver of a car had been thwarted in an
attempt to gatecrash a party. He later saw the man who had prevented him entering, and drove at him
(on the footway) to give him a scare. He did not notice there was another man walking to the right
of the intended scaree. He hit the other man (actually the host of the party) and ten drove off at
speed with the victim trapped under the car. The lawyers had to answer the question: did the victim
die before the driver became aware of his presence under the car? This was crucial in deciding
whether it was murder, manslaughter or a technical motoring offence.

I would have cut off his goolies myself, but I'm a notorious liberal.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
> > Well, I've got two legs; a single wheeled roller-blade
> > on each leg looks like two uni-cycles (in principle).
>
> Have you tried riding one? Even in-line skates have a measure of fore-aft stability, but one wheel
> alone does not.

I'm quite sure they would be very difficult to use. However, a standard unicycle has similar
difficulties but apparently is a special case in the C&U regs.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:33:25 -0000, "Nick Finnigan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Not sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting that one should include mileage on shared-use
>> paths? That would be invalid; very few cars actually drive on footways for any distance (which
>> makes it een more amazing that drivers kill 200 times more pedestrians on footways than cyclists
>> do, but that's another matter). So to make a valid comparison it would be necessary to exclude
>> the journeys cars make where cycles never go and the journeys cycles make where cars never go
>> (e.g. shared use and segregated facilities).

> No, I'm suggesting the the pedestrian injuries on footways can be subtracted from the cyclist
> related figures, whilst using the total (urban) cyclist mileage, which would, if anything make
> cyclists appear safer. Using the total (urban) figures for cars would, if anything, make them
> appear less safe.

True, but still one would not be comparing like with like because cras are typically going faster.

>How much do you think cyclist mileage is understated?

I don't know - if I did it wouldn't be inaccurate ;-)

>> You might also find it challenging to find relevant samples for comparison. The subset of car
>> drivers who drive at 15-25mph is small,

> So is the subset of cyclists.

True, but easier to identify cyclists from the set of all cyclists than drivers driving below 25mph
from all drivers.

>You are expecting faster cars to cause more injuries, so the total (urban) sample would overstate
>cars' danger.

Preciusely. So it would be a pointless sum: you'd merely prove that cars go faster.

>> You'd also need to do the analysis over a long period. The number of pedestrians killed and
>> injured by cycles in a single year is well below statistical significance.

> The data is available over several years; around 200 pedestrians reported injured each year.

But statistically insigificant compared with car injuries.

Do the sums of you want, I just don't think they would tell us anything.

Guy
===

¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤ wrote:

> That cyclists like to criticise everyone else and view themselves as the angels of the road,
> whereas the truth is often somewhat different.

I don't know *any* cyclist who will claim that all cyclists are angels and all motorists are the
spawn of Stan. On the contrary, most cyclists will denounce idiots such as those who ride on
pavements, in much the same way that drivers will denounce Revvin Kevin and Dithering Doris.

--
Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/

JNugent wrote:

> Motor vehicle drivers do not routinely drive through red traffic lights as though they were green
> - and never have done.

Self-preservation. Motorists know that if they completely ignore red traffic lights, there is a very
high likelihood of a collision, for which they will be wholly to blame. When cyclists ignore red
lights, they know that there is generally a low risk of a collision.

I am *not* going to justify or condone cyclists who ignore red lights; but simply provide an
explanation as to why _they_ feel it is more acceptable for them to jump lights than motorists do.

--

Steve Firth wrote:

> Zero tolerance already exists for motorists.

Yeah, bollocks it does. I drove over 50 miles yesterday in excess of 80mph. I overtake a police car
while doing 75mph, and I passed a police car in a 30mph limit doing 33mph.

If zero tolerance already existed, there wouldn't be the repeated calls for zero tolerance that we
keep hearing.

--
Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/
\'///////_____________________________________________

> But statistically insigificant compared with car injuries.
>
> Do the sums of you want, I just don't think they would tell us anything.

So, you don't think your conviction could be justified by
looking at accident statistics, even if the detail was there.

How large a difference in outcome do you think the mass and body shape would make; can you see any
way to measure it?

[email protected] wrote:

> "Steve Firth" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I think you have your stats in a spin there. There's a difference
>> (IMO) between a car out of control mounting the pavement and a deliberate decision to ride on the
>> pavement.

> Certainly. . I don't know what motivates cyclists to ride on the pavement, maybe perceived dangers
> of the road, convenience, thoughtlessness etc.

...or possibly having lost control of the bike (obviously only of application in cases where the
cyclist wasn't deliberately on the footway to begin with)...

> Now what causes cars to get out of control and mount the pavement? There's a clue there somewhere
> I think...ah yes, "out of control", I think this implies the car is no longer in control but wait,
> a car has no control other than the driver, so what is implied is that the driver has arrived at a
> situation where they are incapable of controlling the car, who's fault is that then?

Insufficient data to provide an answer.

Losing control could be caused by inattention or lack of competence on the part of the driver.

Or it could be caused by illness (eg, a sudden heart attack - and don't laugh, it happens [one of
the reasons why epileptics are not allowed to drive]), or by the sudden appearance of an obstacle
which *must* be avoided.

Examples of such an obstacle (this is not an exhaustive list) could include:

- another vehicle on one's own side of the road, in order to avoid an almost-certainly-fatal head-on
collision, or

- an obstacle which will not necessarily present a deadly risk to the car's occupant(s) but which
still ought to be avoided (eg, a cyclist who has swerved into the car's path or who has emerged
from a side turn without giving way - or through a red traffic light, or

- a pedestrian who has run out into the carriageway (not as uncommon as it ought to be), or

- (least important of all) an animal which has run into the carriageway (and it's easy to condemn
the evasive swerve if itis an Aberdeen Terrier, less so if it is, for instance, a Suffolk Punch).

> True, the driver may be taking evasive action to avoid an errant ped or cyclist but all the cases
> I can recall were down to vehicle defects, inappropiate speed or in some cases a deliberate
> attempt to maim or cause fear that has gone wrong.

Yes, but you cannot recall all acidents in all relevant places at all relevant times during any
relevant period, can you?

> And don't think I'm sympathic to pavement cyclists because I'm certainly not having nearly been
> cleared up by them, having my wife nearly cleared up by one and the fact they bring cyclists into
> disrepute but at the end of the day we're still more at risk from "out of control" cars mounting
> the pavement and the motor vehicles running red lights at pelican crossings when walking and all
> kinds of motorised idiots when cycling and driving so let's keep a sense of perspective.

Indeed.

Let us start by restating the obvious: one cannot legislate against error, illness or adverse sudden
incident; one *can* legislate (and enforce the law) against deliberate, selfish, endangerment of
others with a view only to one's own convenience.

We all know whch of those two arises from out-of-control motor vehicles and which from footway
cyclists, don't we?

BTW, if I ever hear of a case of a motor vehicle being driven *on* and *along* a footway, in
preference to being on the adjacent or parallel carriageway, with all wheels on the footway, at
*normal travelling speed for the vehicle*, not merely crossing the footway or moving onto a parking
bay (ie, travelling along a footway in the same way that some cyclists do, rather than merely having
a tyre on the kerb at 1mph or something), and then hitting a pedestrian legitimately using the
footway, I shall start to take apologists for footway cycling a little more seriously.

---