Good News!

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:09:10 -0000, "PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >It's not exactly unusual in suburban areas for parking to be freely available and for the roads -
> >apart from obvious rush hours - to be uncongested.
>
> Provided you're not in Reading, where congestion is more or less permanent.

Went to a footie game in reading a few weeks ago. Lord the parking! And the price! 6-10pm - £9.20!

Interesting to note good cycle parking facilties at the ground - and getting a lot of use.

pk

"Richard Corfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]

Why ...

> I often see 2 or 3 of cars going through the lights after what should have been the last. I may be
> wrong, but it seems that the time that the lights are red for all directions has increased,
> presumably because of this.

NO NO NO. Its all an anti-car conspiracy by lefties and PC loonies.

manxshaun <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorry, but every traffic light I see (and probably the ones I don't!) has idiots and their
> associated heaps of junk screaming through for at least 10 seconds after the red shows. And then
> they come to a halt several yards down the road. Tossers!

In my experience the idiots on heaps of junk generally mount the pavement several yards down the
road and continue pedalling.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William

[email protected] wrote:

>>> Yes, what you meant was to come up with a definition of driving / riding on the pavement which
>>> excludes most such infractions by motorists and includes most by cyclists. But yuo were
>>> sufficiently obvious about it that you were immediately rumbled.

>> The meaning was *meant* to be obvious.

> It was.

Good.

>>> What happened to your unreserved condemnation of all offences by all road users? Or indeed just
>>> by car drivers?

>> I have no difficulty with condemning travelling along the pavement when done by the driver of a
>> motor vehicle. One cannot, however, condemn every instance of a vehicle's mere *presence* on a
>> footway, because:

> Yebbut, your criteria fall a long way short of either of those conditions. The specific instance
> of the 4x4 driver with two wheels on the pavement driving briskly to bypass a queue at traffic
> lights is undoubtedly an example of egregious pavement use, but you've carefully excluded it.

Not at all. It is merely that I was comparing like with like. This is a Usenet post - not an
encylopaedia entry.

> In this case the pavement is not actually wide enough to acommodate the full width of the 4x4, so
> even if he were to crush the bollards and put his left wheels right up to the retaining wall he
> would still fail your test.

If that sort of situation was anything other than the rarity it is (assuming it exists at all, that
is), it would be worth mentioning.

>> What none of us have ever seen - because it doesn't happen is a motor-vehicle merrily trundling
>> along a footway at 30mph, four wheels on the pavement.

> I've never seen a bike doing 30mph on a pavement either.

You have certainly seen many bicycles bowling along at their normal road speed on the footway. If
you hadn't, you would not find it necessary to condemn it "even when legal", to use your own phrase.

>> Still less have we ever - because it doesn't happen - seen a driver screaming obscenities at a
>> pedesytrian who had the temerity to refuse to get out of the way on the footway.

> We have, on the other hand, seen drivers screaming obscenities at cyclists who are on the
> roadway, and in amongst the obscenities have been impolite requests to use the pavement. Seems we
> can't win.

Pull the other one.

AAMOF though, the obscenity-screeaming cyclists do seem to have decreased in the last year or two;
possibly the too-tight Lycra was restricting the flow of blood to their brains.

>>> Both the PP and I have seen cars driving on the pavement in order to bypass traffic jams, just
>>> as you have seen cyclists doing.

>> We have all seen cyclists do *much more than that*, so please do not attempt to obfuscate.

> Me? I'm not the one laying down detailed (and in some cases impossible) criteria which must be met
> before I'll condemn pavement cycling.

There is nothing impossible about condemning footway cycling without reference to any other
road users.

I did it, and two other self-avowed cyclist contributors also did so.

The sky did not fall in as a result.

The reason you say you "can't" condemn footway cyclists is that you don't *want to*.

You aren't fooling anyone (except possibly yourself).

>> And as you well know, I harbour no grudges towards law-abiding cyclists (who I consider to be in
>> the majority outside Central and Inner London). It isn't *their* fault that the government has
>> failed to ensure proper standards of training, a proper licensing system, compulsory insurance
>> and compulsory tests of vehicle fitness and licensing for bicycles.

> None of which are actually necessary for enforcement, as has been proven in Portsmouth recently.

It isn't only *about* enforcement, though, it is?

It is also about ensuring safety through improving standards, whether of vehicle maintenance or of
cycling standards. And of ensuring that victims (whether of injury ot damage to property) can be
properly and surely compensated. Those are reasonable, nay, modest, aims, aren't they?

---

On 26 Jan 2004 21:51:41 GMT, Richard Corfield
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was told today I was dangerous for the opposite reason. With too much lighting, and an unusual
>bike, it was said that I was a distraction to drivers who would crash into eachother while'st
>looking at me. It makes a change from being told that the trike is invisible.

When you hear some of the stupid things they say it goes some way towards explaining some of the
stupid things they do.

--
Dave...

On 2004-01-26, W K <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Richard Corfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
>
> Why ...

Oh, slrn being default about it - and they complain about new software policing its use. (At least
slrn does ask, as opposed to say a new printer saying "You are about to forge a bank note - please
confirm (Y/N)")

> NO NO NO. Its all an anti-car conspiracy by lefties and PC loonies.

Along with the non flashing longer lasting pedestrian crossings presumably.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:

> You have certainly seen many bicycles bowling along at their normal road speed on the footway.

Kids and blokes holding plastic bags who only ever do 10mph perhaps.

> > We have, on the other hand, seen drivers screaming obscenities at cyclists who are on the
> > roadway, and in amongst the obscenities have been impolite requests to use the pavement. Seems
> > we can't win.
>
> Pull the other one.

I bet you also think racism doesn't exist because no-one has ever called you a wog.

In article <[email protected]>,
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bv3gec$lkp$1@news-
> out.ftel.co.uk...
>
> > Isn't it odd that, for example, cyclist Guy, scourge of the driver, drives a Volvo estate?
>
> Not at all odd, it's the only thing with a roof long enough to take a three-seater bike. It won't
> fit into a modern train. Fits in the older rolling stock just fine, though.

Why would you need to move a bike by car or train: can't you just cycle from your house to where you
need to go?

ian

"PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So long as their journey is not time critical,

For time critical in town journeys during busy periods I now find cycling both faster and more
reliable (in terms of the consistancy of journey time) for journeys up to about 5 miles. The
delays associated with driving during peak times in a large town / small city make it a very
frustrating process.

> it passes through a neighbourhood that is perceived to be reasonably safe,

Having somewhere safe to store the bike at my destination tends to be a greater consideration
than the 'quality' of area cycled through. Most abuse in some of our less desirable areas is
verbal and harmless.

> both they (and all their passengers) are able-bodied, and they have no need to carry heavy goods,

Fair point. I do my weekly shop by car even though the supermarket is less than a mile away. Others
here are made of sterner stuff.

> then it's fine to walk (although it might not appeal in the freezing cold or pissing rain).

or cycle. It is often said there is no such thing as wrong weather -- just wrong clothes. (Though
horizontal rain with ice lumps last night did test that assersion :~( But I had had a couple of
pints so driving was not an option.

"PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A surprisingly low figure considering the amount of bleating you and
others
> do about it. Given that the average trip is probably, what, five or six miles, it will overall
> account for only about 1% of total road traffic, which is hardly very significant.

Recent surveys here-abouts showed the average car journey (probably mode rather than mean) is less
than 3 miles.

> There are also a whole multitude of reasons that would make such trips "legitimate" even if you
> accept the dubious proposition that it is in some way bad for an able-bodied person to make a trip
> of a mile or less by car.

Agreed -- though encouraging them to make more sensible choices (from a health, environment and
congestion point of view) makes sense.

> And if someone judges in their particularly circumstances that the
half-hour
> time saving achieved by making a two-mile round trip by car rather than on foot is worthwhile, who
> are you to say that they shouldn't?

Agreed -- though I doubt your numbers.

2 miles at 3 mph walking = 40 mins.

Less 30 minutes saving, less 5 minutes faffing at each end (parking, etc.) implies average speed is
infinite!!

Given current in town averages tend to be 10 to 15 mph this seems unlikely.

Ian G Batten wrote:

> Why would you need to move a bike by car or train: can't you just cycle from your house to where
> you need to go?

I don't know about Guy, but as far as I'm concerned, life is too short, and holiday allowances
insufficiently generous, to allow me to ride to races in, say, Lancaster, Newport or southern
Germany. Especially given that my race bike has no luggage carrying ability.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > your criteria fall a long way short of either of those conditions. The specific instance of the
> > 4x4 driver with two wheels on the pavement driving briskly to bypass a queue at traffic lights
> > is undoubtedly an example of egregious pavement use, but you've carefully excluded it.

> Not at all. It is merely that I was comparing like with like.

Right, so I condemn without reservation all users of cycles which are not less than five feet wide
and with four wheels, cycling at 30mph with all four wheels on the footway. Like with like.

> > In this case the pavement is not actually wide enough to acommodate the full width of the 4x4,
> > so even if he were to crush the bollards and put his left wheels right up to the retaining wall
> > he would still fail your test.

> If that sort of situation was anything other than the rarity it is
(assuming
> it exists at all, that is), it would be worth mentioning.

If it were as rare as you claim the council would not have needed to erect bollards.

> >> What none of us have ever seen - because it doesn't happen is a motor-vehicle merrily trundling
> >> along a footway at 30mph, four wheels on the pavement.

> > I've never seen a bike doing 30mph on a pavement either.

> You have certainly seen many bicycles bowling along at their normal road speed on the footway.
> If you hadn't, you would not find it necessary to condemn it "even when legal", to use your
> own phrase.

I have never seen a bicycle travelling at anywhere near my normal road speed on a footway. One of
the reasons I consider shared use footways to be a work of Stan is that they slow you down.

> > We have, on the other hand, seen drivers screaming obscenities at cyclists who are on the
> > roadway, and in amongst the obscenities have been impolite requests to use the pavement. Seems
> > we can't win.

> Pull the other one.

Check the archives of uk.rec.cycling for more examples than you would ever want. One of the regulars
was assaulted with a missile (egg) last week.

> AAMOF though, the obscenity-screeaming cyclists do seem to have decreased
in
> the last year or two; possibly the too-tight Lycra was restricting the
flow
> of blood to their brains.

Ah, so it's fitness envy. I thought as much.

> > Me? I'm not the one laying down detailed (and in some cases impossible) criteria which must be
> > met before I'll condemn pavement cycling.

> There is nothing impossible about condemning footway cycling without reference to any other
> road users.

Nothing, other than the fact that it would be hypocritical, since I also drive - especially since
more poeple are killed on the footway by drivers in an average year than are killed or injured by
cyclists, despite the alleged prevalence of pavement cycling.

> I did it, and two other self-avowed cyclist contributors also did so.

So did I, in a thread in uk.rec.cycling while you were still happily under your bridge.

> The reason you say you "can't" condemn footway cyclists is that you don't *want to*.

No, the reason you *can't* accept my condemnation of pavament cyclists, along with all traffic
infractions by all road users, is that *you* don't want to.

> You aren't fooling anyone (except possibly yourself).

Nop, nobody is fooled at all. Everybody apart form you is entirely clear on my views on pavement
cycling. You aren't because you seem intent on exempting the major source of risk from the exercise,
which is either a futile exercise in self-delusion or an attempt to get me to raise hostages to
fortune. I'm not playing.

> >> And as you well know, I harbour no grudges towards law-abiding cyclists (who I consider to be
> >> in the majority outside Central and Inner London). It isn't *their* fault that the government
> >> has failed to ensure proper standards of training, a proper licensing system, compulsory
> >> insurance and compulsory tests of vehicle fitness and licensing for bicycles.

> > None of which are actually necessary for enforcement, as has been proven in Portsmouth recently.

> It isn't only *about* enforcement, though, it is?

This thread is.

> It is also about ensuring safety through improving standards, whether of vehicle maintenance or of
> cycling standards. And of ensuring that victims (whether of injury ot damage to property) can be
> properly and surely compensated. Those are reasonable, nay, modest, aims, aren't they?

Sadly I lack your inability to distinguish between the scale of risk posed by a defective cycle and
a defective car, so I can't join you in that perverse view.

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:49:16 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [Not Responding]
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> The activity of 'transport' is well met without a car.
>
>With some idealised public transport system, perhaps. Not with the one this country has. Isn't it
>odd that, for example, cyclist Guy, scourge of the driver, drives a Volvo estate? Do you never
>use a car?

Very rarely. I haven't driven for certainly 6 months, probably 9, possibly longer. This is entirely
through choice.

Before you ask, my driving licence is full and clean and always has been. You'd be suprised at the
number of people who assume I've got a ban. Other false assumptions people come to: I must be skint
and I can't have a very busy life.

I started serious adult cycling-as-transport about 7 years ago. I was mid twenties and had gone from
being very fit and active to becoming a car and office bound soon-to-be-fat *******. I bought a bike
and started cycling rather than driving the 10 mile trip to my office. It was one of the best
decisions I've ever made.

Within 6 months I simply wasn't using the car anymore. In addition to walking and cycling which made
up 90% of travel time, I rediscovered the marvels of rail travel. Taxis or cars got used a fair bit,
aircraft occasionally (Soton->Edinburgh, as a recently discussed example). Having refound freedom I
would never go back to car dependancy.

The key question, do I have a car (and if so, in light of the above, why)? My wife has a passion for
the things so there are several in the garage right now. One is nominally 'mine'. So my wife drives
but I don't. If we have longer family trips it's usually by rail. I'm afraid I don'y know why I keep
buying cars.

I have no problem at all if other people choose driving as their main transport mode. I object to
planning policies that render non-car choices unrealistic. I object to the failure by govt to
recognise and mitigate the indirect costs of private motoring. I object to some people's 'right to
drive' mentality if it translates into a right to drive fast, without consideration for others or an
expectation of subservience from those who can't or choose not to drive.

So, back on topic. It is perfectly practical and enjoyable to choose a car free existance. The only
threats to both practicality and enjoyment are the selfishness of some drivers and the blinkered
vision of some planning authorities.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:13:41 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:54:43 +0000, Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Needless to say, I saw no bicycles shooting red lights, and none on
>
>I saw one cyclist "shooting" red lights today. Interestingly, I saw him shoot four red lights
>(before I finally got past him far enough that I was though the next set before he overtook again).
>I also saw about 9 (not counted) cyclists plus me who were stopped at red lights.

I cycled on the pavement last night - I freely admit it. And what impeded my progress? A van parked
right across the pavement.

I was cycling from Lewisham to Sidcup, on the A20. Between Eltham and Sidcup there are two sets of
traffic lights. At the second set of lights the three lanes of traffic were stationary and there was
no room to squeeze my bike between the lanes, so I went on the pavement. I made good progress....
Until my path was blocked by a van turning left right across the pavement.

What would drivers prefer? For me to wait in the middle of a lane, and impede their progress once
the lights change?

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >I was told today I was dangerous for the opposite reason. With too much lighting, and an unusual
> >bike, it was said that I was a distraction to drivers who would crash into eachother while'st
> >looking at me. It makes a change from being told that the trike is invisible.

> When you hear some of the stupid things they say it goes some way towards explaining some of the
> stupid things they do.

I've lost count of the number of poeple who tell me they "nearly didn't see me." Great! Having had
one near-death experience due to a driver who *actually* didn't see me, I'd far rather they *nearly*
didn't see me every time!

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oh, I would imagine a typical three-quarter-mile trip to the shop for a packet of fags in
> Tilehurst or Lower Earley wouldn't be that congested at most times of the day.

Yes, and in my imagination the cars are all courteously driven as well, but life ain't like that ;-)

Reading has a number of traffic bottlenecks. In order to control rat-running all traffic is
carefully diverted through these bottlenecks. I've been delayed by traffic in Reading at 3am (and
not during the festival, either).

> And surely part of the problem in Reading is that it has such a **** road system - you'd think
> they could have given the capital of Britain's
Silicon
> Valley a decent dual-carriageway ring road, for a start.

Lack of bridges, lack of rail crossings, lack of a ring road or bypass - all sorts of things. But I
can get around Reading quite quickly by bike, so that's what I mostly do.

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> "PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Oh, I would imagine a typical three-quarter-mile trip to the shop for a packet of fags in
>> Tilehurst or Lower Earley wouldn't be that congested at most times of the day.
>
> Yes, and in my imagination the cars are all courteously driven as well, but life ain't like
> that ;-)
>
> Reading has a number of traffic bottlenecks. In order to control rat-running all traffic is
> carefully diverted through these bottlenecks. I've been delayed by traffic in Reading at 3am (and
> not during the festival, either).

I would say it is your experience that is untypical, though. I live in the midst of a conurbation,
yet there are several parades of shops (and two large supermarkets) within about a mile and a half
of my house that I would feel confident of being able to reach by car outside the recognised Mon-Fri
rush hours without encountering any congestion to speak of. My parents live in a town of about
60,000 people where the same applies (and there isn't much rush hour to speak of, apart from on one
route). The same probably applies to most suburban areas and virtually all smaller towns.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William
Pitt, 1783)

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a Usenet post - not an encylopaedia entry.

Yes that master of denial moves the goalposts again to suit the way he wants to play.

Cars run red lights? Never! All car drivers pay for car insurance. All car owners pay *road tax*.
Cars never drive on the pavement. All car drivers obey the speed limit. Wibble,wibble.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:04:50 -0000, "PeterE"
<peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I would say it is your experience that is untypical, though. I live in the midst of a conurbation,
>yet there are several parades of shops (and two large supermarkets) within about a mile and a half
>of my house that I would feel confident of being able to reach by car outside the recognised Mon-
>Fri rush hours without encountering any congestion to speak of. My parents live in a town of about
>60,000 people where the same applies (and there isn't much rush hour to speak of, apart from on one
>route). The same probably applies to most suburban areas and virtually all smaller towns.

Splendid. So, another explanation for why people make short journeys by car which has nothing to do
with bone idleness. No doubt when they die of coronary heart disease they will write to the Daily
Mail and complain.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk