Good News!

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> I've never seen a bike doing 30mph on a pavement either.

>> You have certainly seen many bicycles bowling along at their normal road speed on the footway. If
>> you hadn't, you would not find it necessary to condemn it "even when legal", to use your own
>> phrase.

> I have never seen a bicycle travelling at anywhere near my normal road speed on a footway.

Come off it.

That is a pathetic evasion even by your standards.

[ ... ]

>> ...the obscenity-screeaming cyclists do seem to have decreased in the last year or two; possibly
>> the too-tight Lycra was restricting the flow of blood to their brains.

> Ah, so it's fitness envy. I thought as much.

Actually, it is disdain for fashion victims (or obsessive Spiderman fans).

Lycra does seem to have fallen into disuse though, doesn't it?

>>> Me? I'm not the one laying down detailed (and in some cases impossible) criteria which must be
>>> met before I'll condemn pavement cycling.

>> There is nothing impossible about condemning footway cycling without reference to any other
>> road users.

> Nothing, other than the fact that it would be hypocritical,

You surprise me.

>> I did it, and two other self-avowed cyclist contributors also did so.

> So did I, in a thread in uk.rec.cycling

No, as we all know, you did not do so (at least, not if that was in a thread x-posted to ukrd - I do
not subscribe to ukrc and so cannot comment upon non-x-posted contributions). I make the reasonable
observation that if you had posted what you claim to have posted, you would have no difficulty in
bringing yourself to repeat it. But you do not "repeat" it.

What you did was the equivalent of keeping your fingers crossed behind your back. You hedged
your "condemnation" about with restrictions and reservations to the effect that you thought that
other motoring law should be enforced as a priority, with no priority being given to combatting
lawless cycling.

>> The reason you say you "can't" condemn footway cyclists is that you don't *want to*.

> No, the reason you *can't* accept my condemnation of pavament cyclists, along with all traffic
> infractions by all road users, is that *you* don't want to.

Because what you say - as you well know - is meaningless.

I have no difficulty with accepting condemnation of traffic violations (and even other violations -
like driving without road tax or without insurance or without a licence) by drivers. What I will not
do (because it would be ridiculous to do so) is link support for enforcement of those laws with
enforcement of other laws first.

>> You aren't fooling anyone (except possibly yourself).

> Nop, nobody is fooled at all. Everybody apart form you is entirely clear on my views on pavement
> cycling.

I am perfectly clear on your view of it. You don't think there should be any enforcement of the law
against it. At least, not while there is the slightest chance that a driver somewhere might be
getting away with 31mph in a built-up area, or perhaps driving with the nearside rear tyre a pound
over-inflated or something. In fact, the offence itself is unimportant, because *any possibility* of
a law infraction by a driver will suffice for you to withhold support for law enforcement against
footway-cycling, cycling at night without lights, cycling through red traffic lights or cycling the
wrong way along a one-way street.

Why you connect these two concepts is something only you can answer to. What is patently true is
that you will not condemn lawless cycling without reservation. If you were prepared to do it, you'd
have done it. You haven't done it (yet), though two other cyclist posters have and saw no difficulty
in doing so.

> You aren't because you seem intent on exempting the major source of risk from the exercise

The "exercise" is a discussion on cycling and on the offences committed by some cyclists.

Offences which may or may not be committed by others are irrelevant to it.

---

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> This is a Usenet post - not an encylopaedia entry.

> Yes that master of denial moves the goalposts again to suit the way he wants to play.

Grow up.

> Cars run red lights? Never!

With better attention to what you had read, you would have known that that was not my claim.

I said they do not pass red traffic lights *routinely* (though many cyclists do, of course).

Take a tip: look up "rouitine" and its derivatives in a good dictionary.

---

ISN'T IT ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR CYCLING.
FAIR PLAY TO THE POLICE.
BUT ITS ALL ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR CYCLING.
CYCLIST DO BRAKE THE LAW.
BUT ITS DOWN TO YOURSELF AT THE END OF THE DAY.
JUST ENJOY YOUR CYCLING.
THANKYOU
Originally posted by Dirtylitterboxo
>Oh dear, 160 in 10 hours.
>
>Little bunch of lawbreakers aren't they? The only shame is that they weren't fine £65 each.

I think, should trolling not be your agenda (highly doubtful), if you do a google search on this
newsgroup, you'll find a large number of postings here from many cyclists (who are also motorists)
that law-breaking by *any* road user is not condoned. Indeed, if a cyclist is cycling without lights
when lights should be on, or cycling on pavements - you won't find me condoning the law-breaking. If
they get stopped by police for such offences - good.

There is a significant difference in seriousness though, when conmpared with motorists breaking the
law - it isn't cyclists who are killing 3500+ people each year on Britain's roads and injuring tens
of thousands more, it's motorists: fact.

I just wish limited police time was targetted on the ones doing the vast bulk of the killing and the
maiming - and that penalties were far more severe for those who kill when the weapon of choice is a
motor vehicle.

But what the heck, never let it be forgotten that Britain's poor beleaguered motorists have such a
tough deal... NOT.

Cheers, helen s (motorist, cyclist & pedestrian)

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$
:)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:21:31 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Splendid. So, another explanation for why people make short journeys by car which has nothing to do
>with bone idleness. No doubt when they die of coronary heart disease they will write to the Daily
>Mail and complain.

Hi Guy

I almost feel like writing to the DM myself regarding the letters they have printed recently about
cyclists. (More correctly, I beleive I should contact the MoS.) These letters invariably fall into
the category of "why do the police give speeding motorists such a hard time when they should be
stopping cyclists from riding on the pavement".

James

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:53:04 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>These letters invariably fall into the category of "why do the police give speeding motorists such
>a hard time when they should be stopping cyclists from riding on the pavement".

Indeed.

A question which a cursory reading of RCGB answers fully and succinctly, in my view :-/

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:48:53 -0000, "JNugent"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have never seen a bicycle travelling at anywhere near my normal road speed on a footway.

>Come off it.

One of the key criticisms of footway cycling *when legal* is that it reduces both peak and mean
travel speeds. Peak speeds are lower due to increased numbers of conflicts, and mean speeds are
lower because each time the cyclist is forced to stop, getting going again requires the energy
equivalent of around 150m of travel.

>That is a pathetic evasion even by your standards.

translation: Nugent is too ignorant of cycling to understand the argument. Happily, as I have now
reduced your ignorance, you will be able to appreciate that it is a valid point.

>> Ah, so it's fitness envy. I thought as much.

>Actually, it is disdain for fashion victims (or obsessive Spiderman fans).

Since lycra shorts went out of fashion for street wear some years ago this is not credible. No, I
think we'll stick with fitness envy.

>>> There is nothing impossible about condemning footway cycling without reference to any other road
>>> users.

>> Nothing, other than the fact that it would be hypocritical,

>You surprise me.

Really? Well that explains a lot. Clearly you are like the shgeep so vovodly described by Douglas
Adams, who are surprised every morning by the fact of the grass being green. Either that or you are
not reading the responses to your posts, which would certainly explain your consistent failure to
understand concepts which are explained to you in simple terms.

>> So did I, in a thread in uk.rec.cycling

>No, as we all know, you did not do so (at least, not if that was in a thread x-posted to ukrd -

Nope. Like I said, it was in urc, back while you were still under your bridge.

>I do not subscribe to ukrc and so cannot comment upon non-x-posted contributions).

Google is your friend.

>I make the reasonable observation that if you had posted what you claim to have posted, you would
>have no difficulty in bringing yourself to repeat it. But you do not "repeat" it.

Fascinating. Having condemned pavement cycling in particular and traffic law infractions in general,
in terms which permit of no alternative interpretation, one wonders why you should be so insistane
that I should condemn in isolation a behaviour which despite its alleged frequency is responsible
for a vanishingly small proportion of pedestrian injuries on the footway, while requiring me to
ignore another mode which I use, and which is responsible for some hundreds of times more fatalites
*on footways*.

Viewed in context with your strange pretence that a car driving on the pavement is not *really*
driving on the pavement unless it's going more than twice as fast as the average pavement cyclist,
with all four wheels on the footway, it sounds as if you are in denial about the danger posed to
pedestrians by motor vehicle drivers.

>What you did was the equivalent of keeping your fingers crossed behind your back. You hedged
>your "condemnation" about with restrictions and reservations to the effect that you thought that
>other motoring law should be enforced as a priority, with no priority being given to combatting
>lawless cycling.

Nope. What I did was to condemn entirely and without reservation pavement cycling, and to for the
avoidance of all doubt to extend this to condemn all traffic infractions by all road users. If
anybody chooses to read that as anything other than what it is, a strong statement that I do not
tolerate the behaviours about which you have been whining at such tedious length, then that is their
problem not mine.

You will note that nowhere in my condemnation of traffic infractions wewre priorities even alluded
to. Indeed, it seems very much as if you are the one with a grossly distorted sense of priorities,
given your obsession with the behaviour of cyclists and the detailed and scarcely feasible
conditions which you apply to your definition of pavement driving.

>> No, the reason you *can't* accept my condemnation of pavament cyclists, along with all traffic
>> infractions by all road users, is that *you* don't want to.

>Because what you say - as you well know - is meaningless.

Nope. What I say is far more meaningful and realistic than condemning cyclists while ignoring the
road users who kill two hundred times more pedestrians *on the footway alone*. That would be a
stupid and pointless thing to do.

>I have no difficulty with accepting condemnation of traffic violations (and even other violations -
>like driving without road tax or without insurance or without a licence) by drivers. What I will
>not do (because it would be ridiculous to do so) is link support for enforcement of those laws with
>enforcement of other laws first.

Why "first?" I didn't prioritise enforcement. I am happy to condemn all lawbreaking by all road
users, and to support (as I did right from the begining of this thread) the enforcement action in
Portsmouth, and earlier action in Reading, because it makes my life safer by deterring

impression that they are "campaigners for justice" rather than the mindless bigots which in
reality they are.

>I am perfectly clear on your view of it. You don't think there should be any enforcement of the law
>against it.

In what passes for your mind, maybe. One of the first responses to thie troll was from me,
including the words "great news [...] As with all traffic law enforcement, I haveno sympathy for
those caught."

In what way is that opposition to enforcement? You on the other hand seem to require enforcement of
evidently low-risk pavement cycling (as judged fromt he public record of injuries) before you are
prepared to countenance enforcement against the major source of anger: careless driving. I can't
think why. OK, I can.

>*any possibility* of a law infraction by a driver will suffice for you to withhold support for law
>enforcement against footway-cycling, cycling at night without lights, cycling through red traffic
>lights or cycling the wrong way along a one-way street.

And your citation for this is? It's diametrically opposite to my frequently stated condemnation of
all these things.

Clearly in NugentWorld (TM) the statement "I condemn all traffic infractions by all road
users" somehow morphs into "I support pavement cycling, red light junping, wrong-way riding
and riding without

carbon monoxide you inhale sitting in traffic in your car.

>Why you connect these two concepts is something only you can answer to. What is patently true is
>that you will not condemn lawless cycling without reservation.

Oops! Wrong *again*. I have already posted a definition of the word "reservation" and it fails
entirely to fit either my unequivocal condemnation of pavement cycling or my equally unequivocal and
additional condemnation of all lawbreaking by all road users.

>If you were prepared to do it, you'd have done it. You haven't done it (yet),

Apart form the seevarl times I've already done just that, obviously...

>> You aren't because you seem intent on exempting the major source of risk from the exercise

>The "exercise" is a discussion on cycling and on the offences committed by some cyclists.

And amazingly it turns out that *precisely the same offence* is also committed by some drivers, and
with what appears on the surface to mbe much more serious results, so condemning the one without the
other would be both pointless and hypocritical, given that I also drive.

Right, that's my last word on it, you are now back in the trollbox. Farewell, benighted cager, and
don't come crying to me when your legs finally match your brain's advanced state of atrophy.

Guy
===

In article <[email protected]>, JNugent wrote:

>I said they do not pass red traffic lights *routinely* (though many cyclists do, of course).

And you were talking complete bollocks, of course.

>Take a tip: look up "rouitine" and its derivatives in a good dictionary.

Is that "rouitine" meaning "routine", or "rouitine" meaning "fitting what I choose to believe", as
it was last time I saw you use "routine"?

Nice to see you now have a basic grasp of what a dictionary is for though, even if not how to
actually use it.

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> [email protected] wrote:

>> Lycra does seem to have fallen into disuse though, doesn't it?

> Not obviously. Seems to be plenty of it on riders round here.

Rarely seen (on cyclists) in London these days (even when the weather is warmer).

---

> JNugent wrote:

>> I said they do not pass red traffic lights *routinely* (though many cyclists do, of course).

> And you were talking complete bollocks, of course.

Only to the extent that "complete bollocks" means self-evident truth.

If you really think that motor-vehicle drivers routinely pass red traffic lights, take a look at any
main road junction for an hour or two.

Tell you what, make it a week or two - take your primus stove with you.

>> Take a tip: look up "rouitine" and its derivatives in a good dictionary.

> Is that "rouitine" meaning "routine", or "rouitine" meaning "fitting what I choose to believe", as
> it was last time I saw you use "routine"?

I wondered how long it would take you to respind with a spelling flame.

Nice to know you are so dependable.

> Nice to see you now have a basic grasp of what a dictionary is for though, even if not how to
> actually use it.

My dear chap, I do not *need* a dictionary in order to know the meanings of the words I use.

---

> JNugent wrote:

>> I said they do not pass red traffic lights *routinely* (though many cyclists do, of course).

> And you were talking complete bollocks, of course.

Only to the extent that "complete bollocks" means self-evident truth.

If you really think that motor-vehicle drivers routinely pass red traffic lights, take a look at any
main road junction for an hour or two.

Tell you what, make it a week or two - take your primus stove with you.

>> Take a tip: look up "rouitine" and its derivatives in a good dictionary.

> Is that "rouitine" meaning "routine", or "rouitine" meaning "fitting what I choose to believe", as
> it was last time I saw you use "routine"?

I wondered how long it would take you to respond with a spelling - or typographical - flame.

Nice to know you are so dependable.

> Nice to see you now have a basic grasp of what a dictionary is for though, even if not how to
> actually use it.

My dear chap, I do not *need* a dictionary in order to know the meanings of the words I use.

---

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >> Lycra does seem to have fallen into disuse though, doesn't it?
>
> > Not obviously. Seems to be plenty of it on riders round here.
>
> Rarely seen (on cyclists) in London these days (even when the weather is warmer).

No ****. London cycling = utility cycling, since it's not exactly a place to ride for pleasure (*),
so wear what you want to wear at the end. (although last time I rode in london I did so in lycra and
it was a utility trip).

Cycling somewhere nice (like here) is far more likely to be going out for a ride, in which case you
wear what's best for riding. The people in non-lycra are still those doing utility trips.

(*) cue comments from people who do - in which case I refer them to the 'favourite cycling places'
thread and will mention that I live in one of them :)

cheers, clive

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Rarely seen (on cyclists) in London these days (even when the weather is warmer).

Probably partly explained by the far wider range of lycra and lycra like materials available now and
the much wider range of clothes made from them. It is easily possible to wear fairly normal street
clothes made of modern fabrics that are suitable for cycling and normal life.

Stretch tight lycra as in shrink wrapped cyclists is only one form.

>>> Not obviously. Seems to be plenty of it on riders round here.

>> Rarely seen (on cyclists) in London these days (even when the weather is warmer).

> No ****.

???

I.. er... wouldn't know.

> London cycling = utility cycling, since it's not exactly a place to ride for pleasure (*), so wear
> what you want to wear at the end. (although last time I rode in london I did so in lycra and it
> was a utility trip).

What you may not appreciate is that Lycra (in the shape of those faux-Spiderman outfits) was very
popular attire for (male) London cyclists until fairly recently.

They can't all have changed the purpose of their journeys.

OK, I'll rephrase that - it is unlikely that they have all changed the purpose of their journeys.

What has changed is "fashion".

---

>ISN'T IT ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR CYCLING.
>FAIR PLAY TO THE POLICE.
>BUT ITS ALL ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR CYCLING.
>CYCLIST DO BRAKE THE LAW.
>BUT ITS DOWN TO YOURSELF AT THE END OF THE DAY.
>JUST ENJOY YOUR CYCLING.
>THANKYOU :)

My, my, such bad manners, shouting. You don't have to SHOUT so much to be heard. Perhaps you need to
lie down in a nice room with soft padded walls and bars on the window. Matron will be along with her
medication shortly. That should calm you down m'dear ;-) And, pray tell where I have said that
cyclists don't break the law? Indeed I specifically said that if a cyclist breaks the law and gets
nuicked by police - good. But perhaps all of your shouting got in the way of you seeing that...
What's that old saying about never letting the facts get in the way of a good rant???

Cheers, helen s

[email protected] wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I have never seen a bicycle travelling at anywhere near my normal road speed on a footway.

>> Come off it.

> One of the key criticisms of footway cycling *when legal* is that it reduces both peak and mean
> travel speeds.

It may be *a* criticism (from people only concerned in some sense with the welfare of the cyclist).
It is by no means the major criticism (whih is rather more to do with the welfare of pedestrians
(ie, al of us).

> Peak speeds are lower due to increased numbers of conflicts, and mean speeds are lower because
> each time the cyclist is forced to stop, getting going again requires the energy equivalent of
> around 150m of travel.

Not an issue, and and not the reason why footway cycling is illegal.

>> That is a pathetic evasion even by your standards.

> translation: Nugent is too ignorant of cycling to understand the argument. Happily, as I have now
> reduced your ignorance, you will be able to appreciate that it is a valid point.

That is sheer nonsense.

*Your* road speed (whatever it may be) is not necessarily the same thing as the normal road speed of
a cyclist who illegally endangers others by cycling on the footway. Your deliberate attempt to
change the subject is a pathetic evasion. Why not just address the issue?

>>> Ah, so it's fitness envy. I thought as much.

>> Actually, it is disdain for fashion victims (or obsessive Spiderman fans).

> Since lycra shorts went out of fashion for street wear some years ago this is not credible.

Well, if you hadn't noticed, that was what *I* was saying.

> No, I think we'll stick with fitness envy.

As you wish. I well understand that reality is a hard environment for you to operate in (witness
your systematic evasions and subject-change attempts).

>>> Nothing, other than the fact that it would be hypocritical,

>> You surprise me.

> Really? Well that explains a lot. Clearly you are like the shgeep so vovodly described by Douglas
> Adams, who are surprised every morning by the fact of the grass being green. Either that or you
> are not reading the responses to your posts, which would certainly explain your consistent failure
> to understand concepts which are explained to you in simple terms.

You misunderstand - and not for the first time.

You surprise me in objecting to your own use of hypocrisy.

This is a departure for you.

>>> So did I, in a thread in uk.rec.cycling

>> No, as we all know, you did not do so (at least, not if that was in a thread x-posted to ukrd -

> Nope. Like I said, it was in urc, back while you were still under your bridge.

And how do you say that non-subscribers to that NG could or should know of that (even if true)?

>> I do not subscribe to ukrc and so cannot comment upon non-x-posted contributions).

> Google is your friend.

You *could* just repeat this alleged condemnation of illegal cycling and your alleged unconditional
support for enforcement of the law against it.

Or *could* you?

>> I make the reasonable observation that if you had posted what you claim to have posted, you would
>> have no difficulty in bringing yourself to repeat it. But you do not "repeat" it.

> Fascinating. Having condemned pavement cycling in particular and traffic law infractions in
> general, in terms which permit of no alternative interpretation, one wonders why you should be so
> insistane that I should condemn in isolation a behaviour which despite its alleged frequency is
> responsible for a vanishingly small proportion of pedestrian injuries on the footway, while
> requiring me to ignore another mode which I use, and which is responsible for some hundreds of
> times more fatalites *on footways*.

Yet more waffle.

Just condemn unlawful cycling - unconditionally - and just support enforcement of the laws against
it - unconditionally - and then everyone will be able to believe you.

> Viewed in context with your strange pretence that a car driving on the pavement is not *really*
> driving on the pavement unless it's going more than twice as fast as the average pavement cyclist,
> with all four wheels on the footway, it sounds as if you are in denial about the danger posed to
> pedestrians by motor vehicle drivers.

*Totally* irrelevant.

What you complain of would be illegal *no matter what some cyclists do*.

When cyclists break the law, that is worthy of condemnation (and of the weight of the law) *no
matter what some drivers do*.

Have you not understood that yet?

>> What you did was the equivalent of keeping your fingers crossed behind your back. You hedged your
>> "condemnation" about with restrictions and reservations to the effect that you thought that other
>> motoring law should be enforced as a priority, with no priority being given to combatting lawless
>> cycling.

> Nope. What I did was to condemn entirely and without reservation pavement cycling, and to for the
> avoidance of all doubt to extend this to condemn all traffic infractions by all road users.

Oh, it does "avoid doubt".

It makes it clear (especially when read in the context of statements like: "...a behaviour which
despite its alleged frequency is responsible for a vanishingly small proportion of pedestrian
injuries on the footway, while requiring me to ignore another mode which I use, and which is
responsible for some hundreds of times more fatalites *on footways*...") that you don't support
enforcement of the law agaisnt illegal cycling.

Thank you for making that clear once again.

> You will note that nowhere in my condemnation of traffic infractions wewre priorities even
> alluded to.

With the invariable addition and implication that illegal cycling doesn't matter (when compared with
things which are unrelated to it).

> Indeed, it seems very much as if you are the one with a grossly distorted sense of priorities,
> given your obsession with the behaviour of cyclists and the detailed and scarcely feasible
> conditions which you apply to your definition of pavement driving.

Thank you for confirming the position yet again (mind you, there is no need to do so - we are all
well aware that you will never condemn illegal cycling in unequivocal terms).

>> I have no difficulty with accepting condemnation of traffic violations (and even other violations
>> - like driving without road tax or without insurance or without a licence) by drivers. What I
>> will not do (because it would be ridiculous to do so) is link support for enforcement of those
>> laws with enforcement of other laws first.

> Why "first?" I didn't prioritise enforcement.

You have done so on many occasions in this very thread.

> I am happy to ... support (as I did right from the begining of this thread) the enforcement action
> in Portsmouth, and earlier action in Reading

Why are you not prepared to *generalise* that support for legal action against illegal cycling,
without reference to the transgressions of others?

>> I am perfectly clear on your view of it. You don't think there should be any enforcement of the
>> law against it.

> In what passes for your mind, maybe. One of the first responses to thie troll was from me,
> including the words "great news [...] As with all traffic law enforcement, I haveno sympathy for
> those caught."

> In what way is that opposition to enforcement? You on the other hand seem to require enforcement
> of evidently low-risk pavement cycling (as judged fromt he public record of injuries) before you
> are prepared to countenance enforcement against the major source of anger: careless driving.

Rubbish. And a lie.

I do *not* seek any such preference or priority.

Doing so is *your* province, not mine.

I am prepared to condemn illegal driving without reference to cycling.

I am prepared to condemn illegal cycling without reference to driving.

It is *you* who has the problem with the second of those - and not I with either the first or
the second.

> *any possibility* of a law infraction by a driver will suffice for
>> you to withhold support for law enforcement against footway-cycling, cycling at night without
>> lights, cycling through red traffic lights or cycling the wrong way along a one-way street.

> And your citation for this is? It's diametrically opposite to my frequently stated condemnation of
> all these things.

Read what you have written and is quoted above.

>> If you were prepared to do it, you'd have done it. You haven't done it (yet),

> Apart form the seevarl times I've already done just that, obviously...

You have never unequivocally condemned illegal cycling.

Prove me wrong by doing it just here:

>> The "exercise" is a discussion on cycling and on the offences committed by some cyclists.

> And amazingly it turns out that *precisely the same offence* is also committed by some drivers

So what?

Actually, thank you - you have just answered the question you posed a few lines above this one.

> and with what appears on the surface to mbe much more serious results, so condemning the one
> without the other would be both pointless and hypocritical, given that I also drive.

Thank you for the repeat clarification of your position.

---

david williamso <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> ISN'T IT ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR CYCLING. FAIR PLAY TO THE POLICE. BUT ITS ALL ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR
> CYCLING. CYCLIST DO BRAKE THE LAW. BUT ITS DOWN TO YOURSELF AT THE END OF THE DAY. JUST ENJOY YOUR
> CYCLING. THANKYOU :)

Isn't it comforting to know that cyclingforums.com is there to help raise the standard of
contributions to URC?

--
Dave...

It was once said that an infinite number of monkeys, each with a typewriter, would eventually
produce the complete works of William Shakespeare. However, thanks to cyclingforums.com, we now know
that this is fallacious...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Originally posted by Steve Firth
At last, police are being more even handed in their treatment of road users.

During a clampdown on cyclists in Portsmouth, over 160 individuals were stopped and cautioned over
cycling on pavements and cycling without lights in a 10 hour period.

Oh dear, 160 in 10 hours.

Little bunch of lawbreakers aren't they? The only shame is that they weren't fine £65 each.

--
Having problems understanding usenet? Or do you simply need help but are getting unhelpful answers?
Subscribe to: uk.net.beginners for friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:40:38 -0000, "JNugent"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> One of the key criticisms of footway cycling *when legal* is that it reduces both peak and mean
>> travel speeds.
>
>It may be *a* criticism (from people only concerned in some sense with the welfare of the cyclist).
>It is by no means the major criticism (whih is rather more to do with the welfare of pedestrians
>(ie, al of us).
>
>> Peak speeds are lower due to increased numbers of conflicts, and mean speeds are lower because
>> each time the cyclist is forced to stop, getting going again requires the energy equivalent of
>> around 150m of travel.
>
>Not an issue, and and not the reason why footway cycling is illegal.

You've missed the point. Guy's talking about shared use paths. See above. "One of the key criticisms
of footway cycling *when legal*".

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain