Good Online source for loose bearings?

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 3, 5:26 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in

message

10
> > years.

rolling

grease

bearings,

> > > There are 'many' cup and cone hubs on the market currently. Many
> > > people, myself included, prefer them.

> > > IMO, sealed cartridge bottom brackets are a decidely 'mixed

blessing'.
> > > I will continue to use C&C BBs on my personal bikes as long as
> > > possible.

> > I recently sent a 20 year old Phil BB back for rebuilding. It was

about
> > 1/2 the price of a new one.

> That says as much about currency inflation and PW price increases as
> much as anything.

Repair price was about 1/2 of current new price...

> > I'm still riding another Phil BB from the mid 70s.

> Mileage?

Yes..... ;-)

I don't know any more, about 3 different frames worth. A lot of the use on
that BB came when I was riding 200 miles a week (in other words, a long
time ago).

> Hmmm.....*ceramic* sleeve bearings; the next big ($) thing! ;-)

Shhhsh! don't get people started. Some derailleur pulleys use ceramic
sleeve bearings don't they?

Chas.

On Jun 3, 6:33 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> add:www.loosescrews.com/
> >> Nashbar.com
> >> Universalcycles.com
> >> one or the other will have a bargain in stock. loose screws are
> >> chinese 25's for frequent repacks.
> >> Harris Cyclery sells top grade 25's, highly recommended.

> john wrote:
> > Usually I try to put together an order of $25 to 50 bucks so the
> > minimum shipping charge doesn't take quit such a large percentage of
> > the total. I prefer buying online for bearings because there is no way
> > to know for sure if they are 25 grade. I figure that neither the LBS
> > nor the on line supplier is likely to bother to switch lower grades on
> > purpose, but it is very easy to accidentally switch them. It seems to
> > me that the less they are handled the less chance of mixing.

> > Also the business of not mixing batches of bearings due to different
> > diameters. How in Gods name does one know if they are from the same
> > batch even if they are in the same bag? I suspect that there are a lot
> > of high mileage bike bearings out there that have mixed batches &/ or
> > grades. I guess what I'm saying is that I buy gr. 25 batches of
> > bearings w/ hope they are more likely to be a matched batch & actually
> > gr. 25 bearings.

> > I like BikeToolsEtc due to their location (usually 1 day shipping, UPS
> > Ground),
> > no sales tax for Calif. & their great customer service. I support Bike
> > tools etc. in particular because they provide a much needed connection
> > to unusual bike tools & parts @ one location (& 1 shipping charge). I
> > also like McMaster-Carr. I could get lost in their on line catalog for
> > days. I've never bothered to compare prices.

> You touch on some good questions. I didn't like the answers either years
> ago when we changed to our present vendor for American grade 25
> certified chrome steel balls. We don't pay any extra for packaging so we
> take them in 25-ball sealed packs. (1/4"; some other sizes in 50pk)
> Beats the heck out of trying to maintain a 'purge' routine through the
> shop every time we open another sealed kilo of balls and then wonder if
> some wiseacre dropped a used bearing in the container. . .
>
> I believe most vendors sell sealed prepacks now. If some guy is counting
> out ball bearings one at a time you are definitely operating on trust.
> Which may be well placed. Or not.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hello Andrew
I really like that answer. The next time I need ball bearings, I will
definitely order from you.
John

On Jun 2, 11:02 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
> >I need grade 25 1/4" bearings, 50 or 100. What's a good place to
> >order from? thanks

> I need bearings from time to time, not a lot. One local shop had grade
> 300 and I wanted 25, it is normally a very good shop. I appreciate all
> the input on this.
>
> Here's a long shot, any industrial supply houses I can just go ride to
> within 20-30 miles of Oakland, California that has a bottle of 100 or
> so?
>
> thanks

Isn't there a "Bearing Engineering" in Emeryville? IIRC it's near the
I 80. There is also a pretty good LBS on Telegraph. (I forget the
name) I think it's < a block north of University, on both sides of
Telegraph. Retail sales on the west nside. Parts & repair on the east
side.

Good luck, John

"john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 2, 11:02 pm, RS <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> >
> > >I need grade 25 1/4" bearings, 50 or 100. What's a good place to
> > >order from? thanks

> > I need bearings from time to time, not a lot. One local shop had

grade
> > 300 and I wanted 25, it is normally a very good shop. I appreciate

all
> > the input on this.
> >
> > Here's a long shot, any industrial supply houses I can just go ride to
> > within 20-30 miles of Oakland, California that has a bottle of 100 or
> > so?
> >
> > thanks

> Isn't there a "Bearing Engineering" in Emeryville? IIRC it's near the
> I 80. There is also a pretty good LBS on Telegraph. (I forget the
> name) I think it's < a block north of University, on both sides of
> Telegraph. Retail sales on the west nside. Parts & repair on the east
> side.
>
> Good luck, John

Missing Link on Shatuck. I don't know what they have for sale.

Velo Sport moved from MLK to University at California. They only sell
loose bearings, not packaged.

Chas.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 5:26 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

> > At the rotational speed of ball bearings on a bike, most people could get
> > by with sleeved bearings and not notice any difference. ;-)
> >

> Hmmm.....*ceramic* sleeve bearings; the next big ($) thing! ;-)

Bronze sleeves bearing a polished cast iron shaft.
The perfect match.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
RS <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >I need grade 25 1/4" bearings, 50 or 100. What's a good place to
> >order from? thanks
> >

> I need bearings from time to time, not a lot. One local shop had grade
> 300 and I wanted 25, it is normally a very good shop. I appreciate all
> the input on this.
>
> Here's a long shot, any industrial supply houses I can just go ride to
> within 20-30 miles of Oakland, California that has a bottle of 100 or
> so?

Pull out your yellow pages tomorrow.
I expect you will find exactly what you seek.

--
Michael Press

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:42:18 -0700, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>I need grade 25 1/4" bearings, 50 or 100. What's a good place to
>> order from? thanks
>>

>Do you have any bike shops near you? My LBS sell Grade 25 bearings for $0.05
>each! If you must mail order, check out www.biketoolsetc.com

The yuppie trap L - BS near me sells grade 200 in packs of 20 (yes, twenty) for
$3.95. Of course these are the same jack holes who said that they don't carry
rear der hanger bolts without the hanger, "bring in the bike and we'll order you
one."

Anyway, the point was, go to the real bike shop, not the one with the huge
brightly lit sales floor.

Ron

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:26:18 -0700, "* * Chas" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>years.
>> >
>> > The wheel I did yesterday wasn't running smooth. There was no grease
>> > left, and several the bearings had split.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I did use grease from a new tub, applied with a
>> > chopstick. I'll do the tube thing next time.
>> >
>> > While no one would ever buy a bike these days without sealed bearings,
>> > there are still a lot of older classics around that aren't sealed.

>> There are 'many' cup and cone hubs on the market currently. Many
>> people, myself included, prefer them.
>>
>> IMO, sealed cartridge bottom brackets are a decidely 'mixed blessing'.
>> I will continue to use C&C BBs on my personal bikes as long as
>> possible.
>>

>I recently sent a 20 year old Phil BB back for rebuilding. It was about
>1/2 the price of a new one. I'm still riding another Phil BB from the mid
>70s.
>
>Loose bearing setups are rather crude devices dependent upon the quality
>and pitch of the threads on the shafts, how well the cups and cones are
>ground and so on.
>
>The tolerance of .0001 between individual balls would be quite large for
>better quality sealed ball bearings but is not a big issue for loose ball
>arrangements.
>
>At the rotational speed of ball bearings on a bike, most people could get
>by with sleeved bearings and not notice any difference. ;-)

I use a poured babbit bearing for my bottom bracket!

Ron

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 23:02:16 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>>

>>I need grade 25 1/4" bearings, 50 or 100. What's a good place to
>>order from? thanks
>>

>I need bearings from time to time, not a lot. One local shop had grade
>300 and I wanted 25, it is normally a very good shop. I appreciate all
>the input on this.
>
>Here's a long shot, any industrial supply houses I can just go ride to
>within 20-30 miles of Oakland, California that has a bottle of 100 or
>so?

I'm sure of it, but live on the other side of the country so don't know who they
are. Hit the phone book. Almost any city with any amount of industry has bearing
suppy houses.

Ron

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:11:16 -0400, RonSonic
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I use a poured babbit bearing for my bottom bracket!
>
>Ron

Dear Ron,

Forget all that spoke-tension nonsense! A hub full of Babbitt metal is
the only way (patented!) to secure spokes:

http://i17.tinypic.com/53ruw3m.jpg

"In constructing the wheel the ends of the spokes are inserted into
the perforations of the hub and then the filling is poured in in a
molten condition, and adhering to the spokes secures them firmly in
place . . . The inner ends of the spokes may be roughened or serrated
.. . . and these ends may be tinned, if desired, before putting them in
place, for the purpose of causing a greater adhesion between the
spokes and the [hub] filling; or, if desired, the spokes may be bent .
.. . as an extra precaution against their working loose in the
filling."

http://i11.tinypic.com/4m8ldeg.jpg

You may wish to adapt my method for preserving the proper tune of
stringed instruments. Once the correct note has been achieved, filling
the peg-box with Babbitt metal should eliminate the need for any
future re-tuning.

Cheers,

Louis J. Crecelius

"RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>

>>Here is the Company I use:
>>http://www.precisionballs.com/
>>-tom
>>

> Which specific product from them? They have many and I would need
> 1/4" Grade 25 or equivelent, they have many types so which is best?
>
> thanks

You can mix and match size to fill a minimum order...that said, I use the
1/4" grade 25 ball bearings the most since they're for the bottom bracket
area. The other size I order is for the Wheel bearings. If you can call
Bal Tec to place the order, they are more than willing to help. The min.
order is inexpensive. $15.oo and you probably have a life-time supply.
Here is their phone number (1-800-322-5832)
good luck,
-tom