Good prescription riding glasses?

JerLow

Sep 22, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking for some new prescription riding glasses. Does anyone have any advice of what to get/where to get them? I've been looking at Oakley but am open to other suggestions.
Thanks!
Jeremy

JerLow said:
Hi,
I'm looking for some new prescription riding glasses. Does anyone have any advice of what to get/where to get them? I've been looking at Oakley but am open to other suggestions.
Thanks!
Jeremy

Sports Optical in Denver is a great place to go. They do great work, and ordering over the phone, with them, is a doddle.

Good morning all

I've been wearing Oakley's for years and can only highly recommend them. My wife tells me I'm a label snob! But I've worn cheaper glasses and the peripheral vision is rubbish, everything looks wavy, I've never had that with any Oakley’s, and I've had a few!

I'm currently wearing Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ with VR28 Black Iridium lenses as recommended by an online site, and have to say the lenses are great in any weather, apart from night time!

I've added the link to the site were I got mine from, really helpful and it looks like they have a sale on :)

Happy riding everyone, I'm heading to dalby forest this weekend :)

I use, and am happy with -- well, as happy as one can be with wearing glasses -- Bolle Paroles w/prescription insert.

I had bifocals made with the "reading" portion set to the distance to my computers. Normally, I wear progressives, but I ws advised that bifocals work better for the rather small real estate available on inserts. They do work well.

I have a pair of Brico glasses with prescription lenses.
I rode for years without any prescription glasses and boy what a difference they make. Mine have an insert with the prescription lenses that clip in behind the regular coloured lens. The only problem l find is when its really hot and a stop for a red light they fog up really quickly. If you are riding at night you also find that there are extra little reflections from car lights and street lights that can be a little distracting. But overall l am really happy with them.

It depends on your prescription. I researched this all spring and summer for a good solution. Here is what I found:
Not all lenses and inserts can handle all prescriptions. I think the cut-off is around +/- 3.5. Most common inserts take +/- 2.5. Check first. The reason being is that the insert cannot handle a thick lens.
Astigmatism may complicate the situation.
Also, for strong prescriptions, custom sunglasses also have a potential for distortion around the edges b/c the lens needs to wrap around a bit.
Custom sunglasses are flippin' expensive.
My eyesight is very poor (+4.75 & astigmatism). My choices boiled down to contact lenses or Lasik surgery. I went with option 1 for now. I may get Lasik in a few years.

Try SportRx.com

I got the Julbo Advance with transition polycarbonate lenses. I too use bifocals. I think you can get up to 3 diopters (check the website). I have mine nearly two years now.

One lens is better than using an insert if you get caught in the rain.

bwbike said:
One lens is better than using an insert ....

This is true, in general, for a host of reasons:
  • Single lens is less likely to fog at stops
  • Single lens provides better visibility in the rain.
  • If using your glass frames at night, a single lens transmists more light than a lens plus insert
  • For some people, the inserts can brush their eyelashes
  • For some people, the inserts can hit their cheek
  • Single lenses are easier to clean
  • An insert's frame decreases your field of view (peripheral vision)
Cons to a single lens are:
  • Extreme prescriptions can't be accommodated
  • Bifocals/progressive lenses can't be accommodated so you have to choose where you want best vision, far or near
  • Objects/scenery in peripheral vision may appear distorted
  • More expensive
I use prescription cycling specs (Rudy Kerosenes), with three sets of lenses: dark, rose, clear. I could never go back to using prescription inserts.

alienator said:
. . .Cons to a single lens are:
  • . . .
  • Bifocals/progressive lenses can't be accommodated so you have to choose where you want best vision, far or near
  • . . .
SportRx.com can do bifocals, I have them.

bwbike said:
[/LIST]SportRx.com can do bifocals, I have them.

I just looked up your glasses. Those are pretty straight forward glasses. I should've said bifocals can't be done in most wrap around lenses or extreme lens shapes.

My everday glasses have progressive lenses, but my cycling shades correct for farsightedness and a bit of astigmatism. I don't have any issues reading my bike computer. I think opticians avoid trying to put progressive lens prescriptions in cycling glasses on moral grounds. If a rider were bonking, dehydrated, or summat the "swim" at the periphery would put him on the ground, completely disoriented. I think that violates a Geneva convention or two.

I tried progressive (everyday) glasses years ago and found that they're not for me. I didn't like the fact that my distance prescription disappeared when I looked out of the side of the glasses. :eek:
I do not recommend progressive glasses (of any type) for riding.

My riding glasses have regular bifocals (and I too have some astigmatism). My Julbo Advance frames do wrap around my face a bit. There are no distorted areas. I use these for night riding too (I use plenty of lights) and have no problems seeing to the side.

I had the online retailer fill the Rx rather than my own eye doctor. They claim to fill many Rx orders. My Rx was spot on. I will use them again.

I got a pair of Bolle's from "SportRx" and have been VERY happy! I have bifocal lenses installed as well. The people there are very helpful!!

alienator said:
I think opticians avoid trying to put progressive lens prescriptions in cycling glasses on moral grounds. If a rider were bonking, dehydrated, or summat the "swim" at the periphery would put him on the ground, completely disoriented. I think that violates a Geneva convention or two.

bwbike said:
I tried progressive (everyday) glasses years ago and found that they're not for me. I didn't like the fact that my distance prescription disappeared when I looked out of the side of the glasses. :eek:
I do not recommend progressive glasses (of any type) for riding.

I tried using the progressive lenses for everyday and just couldn't stand them. The only positive thing I could say about them is that they look nicer than regular bifocals.

I can't imagine using them while riding.... :eek:

Hi,
I saw that somebody else already said it on this thread, but for prescription riding glasses I can't imagine a better place than Sports Optical. The optician there is a huge cyclist, and he hand-crafts his lenses in house. He can get a lot of different prescriptions into wrap-lenses and fit them into all sorts of sport frames like Rudy and Oakley. The customer service is good too, and there's usually a dog hanging out, but I think they can also do orders online (www.sportsoptical.com).
Good luck.

kman17 said:
Hi, I saw that somebody else already said it on this thread, but for prescription riding glasses I can't imagine a better place than Sports Optical. The optician there is a huge cyclist, and he hand-crafts his lenses in house. He can get a lot of different prescriptions into wrap-lenses and fit them into all sorts of sport frames like Rudy and Oakley. The customer service is good too, and there's usually a dog hanging out, but I think they can also do orders online (www.sportsoptical.com). Good luck.
I mentioned them as I was quite chuffed with their work. I have three sets of prescription inserts for my Rudy's, from Sports Optical. It's good to see others find their work just as good.

I have astigmatism and my script is +5.24 and +4.75. I have used Wiley X. PT3's for years with inserts. The issue for most is that the more "curved" the frame ( face hugging) the more it alters the prescription. Finding a "flat" sports frame is difficult at best. There is a technical name for this curvature, but I am too tired to search for it. It took me 3 attempts at lenses to correct for this , and the shop ate the Extra cost. I avoided any reading correction so as not to screw up the success we had. The optic shop wants now to charge me $300 for new lenses. I think they learned from my last saga. Good luck