Good quality RED tires for a road bike

DevilMan

Oct 23, 2002
For a (hopefully soon) to be build new roadbike i'm looking for good quality tires which are completely red in color.

On my current bike i'm using Vittoria Evo CX tires which i think are pretty darn good (although expensive :) ), but the red colored version of those tyres have a black thread, and i want completely red tyres.

Anybody know a good quality tyre (at least as good as the vittoria corso's) which are completely red?

um good luck. just go with what you got, or the top conti and michelin models that are mostly red.

Vredestein Fortezza TriComps come in red (and 7 or 8 other colors). They're Vredestein's top clincher and have the usual high-end clincher price ($40 to $50), but can often be found on sale. I've got some on my TCR now; they ride well and I paid $25 for them.

Originally posted by DevilMan
For a (hopefully soon) to be build new roadbike i'm looking for good quality tires which are completely red in color.
Anybody know a good quality tyre (at least as good as the vittoria corso's) which are completely red?

does anyone else out there think he is REALLY cute??

that is cute.

HEY the continentals come in 'telecom pink' but they are not ALL pink but they are still pretty pink. I liked mine. I think I"ll get them again this year. Only they won't match my saddle very well. (chameleaon blue by FIziK)

Originally posted by shokhead1
You know colored tread doesnt last as long as black.
Hmmm... interesting. I wonder how accurate that observation would be across the board. There are enough different rubber compounds, manufacturing processes, colorizing methods and other considerations that I'd have my doubts about this as a rule.

Besides, the natural color of these compounds isn't black, is it? Isn't black just another added pigment?

Originally posted by lokstah
Hmmm... interesting.Besides, the natural color of these compounds isn't black, is it? Isn't black just another added pigment?

yeah I think its that brownish color, isnt it? the color of sew ups.

sounds like a B movie about an old roadie. 'The Color Of SewUps' staring Sir Alec Guinness as an aging tour de france hero on a personal journey. Based on the novel 'old roadies never die they just wear red tyre rubber".

Originally posted by JuneBug
sounds like a B movie about an old roadie. 'The Color Of SewUps' staring Sir Alec Guinness as an aging tour de france hero on a personal journey. Based on the novel 'old roadies never die they just wear red tyre rubber".
Sounds good, Junebug. Get writing.

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder how accurate that observation would be across the board. There are enough different rubber compounds, manufacturing processes, colorizing methods and other considerations that I'd have my doubts about this as a rule.

Besides, the natural color of these compounds isn't black, is it? Isn't black just another added pigment?

Yeah. Natural rubber is kind of amber color. Carbon ( the powder not the fiber) is added to make it black. It also makes it last longer but it makes it harder. Other pigments (green/red/etc.) don't give the harder/higher mileage benefit.

Originally posted by DevilMan

On my current bike i'm using Vittoria Evo CX tires which i think are pretty darn good (although expensive :) ), but the red colored version of those tyres have a black thread, and i want completely red tyres.

Vredestein has pink/red but how can you not know that? They're made right there in the Netherlands!

BTW, if you ride on asphalt the center tread will turn kind of dirty reddish-black and you'll have to clean it regularly if you want pink/red.

Cylceboy is right. Cabon is added to rubber to make it harder/more durable. Hence, it is impossible for a red or green tyre to be as hard-wearing as black.

Conti do red w black sidewalls, red w blue sidewalls and grey w red sidewalls. There is no all-red.

I forgot about carbon additives -- that sounds right. Isn't it also true, though, that not all black bicycle tires are significantly carbon-infused? A $6 house-brand REI tire will likely be offered in only in black, and I doubt that's to confer some real durability benefit.

Is it?

Any way, I think Vredestein is your best bet. Calling them red/pink is a little unfair -- there's a slim beige sidewall; the big bulk of the tread is red and the central rolling surface is a slightly darker red. All in all, it's a red tire. Pretty sharp looking on the right wheel.

I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow...

Any way, I think Vredestein is your best bet. Calling them red/pink is a little unfair -- there's a slim beige sidewall;

I was just trying to distinquish between the side tread and center tread which are different shades of red. Since my bike is Ferrari Red, it looks pretty light next to it. Your right that there's a sidewall (dark beige) which shows next to rim (about 1/2")

I really like the ride/handling of the Vredesteins and the fact that they have a red model is a plus.

God i hope you dont want red tires so your all colored the same ie,bike,socks,shoes,cloths and helmets and of course,gloves. Your not doing that,right?

Originally posted by shokhead1
God i hope you dont want red tires so your all colored the same ie,bike,socks,shoes,cloths and helmets and of course,gloves. Your not doing that,right?

No i won't ;-) The bike will be red/carbon/yellow (an Orbea Orca if you must know), wheels will be black mostly (hed disc wheel and trispoke), outfits will be mostly black / dark colors..

But i do have another roadbike which is almost completely black, i've got black shoes, black bibs, and black/grey jersey's, a carbon colored helmet and black gloves... it that also a bad thing? ;-)