Good Rechargeable Lighting System (Road)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stefano Maranza, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    Now that the days are getting shorter and I want to continue riding after work, I am looking for a
    good rechargeable lighting system. I would like to spend less than $150 and keep it as close as
    possible to $100.

    I will be using this for approximately 2 hour road rides in the evenings.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance, Steve

    Tags:

  2. "Stefano Maranzana" wrote:

    > Now that the days are getting shorter and I want to continue riding after work, I am looking for a
    > good rechargeable lighting system. I would like to spend less than $150 and keep it as close as
    > possible to $100.

    If a 2.4W halogen system is bright enough for you, the Cateye HL-1600 is good value.

    It takes 5 standard AA-sized cells, and you can use either NiCd or NiMH. I get well over 4 hours run
    time from 2100 mAh Sanyo NiMH cells.

    It has a low battery warning LED (conservatively rated - plenty of warning time).

    You buy the charger and batteries separately (the HL-1600 has a charger socket).

    http://www.cateye.com/detail.php?products_id=61

    John

  3. FWIW, I find I "outrun" anything less than a 20W narrow (10 degree) light at speeds around 20 mph.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. Mark Atanovich wrote:
    > FWIW, I find I "outrun" anything less than a 20W narrow (10 degree) light at speeds around 20 mph.

    Me too and that's if the road is straight.

    --
    Perre

  5. Wle

    Wle Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    i just got a cygolite night rover nicad xtra rei has them on sale for $69

    10 w narrow and a 6.3 flood

    runs 6 hours on low, 2 hours with both on

    nicad batteries

    seems pretty bright to me

    wle.

  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Stefano Maranzana wrote ...
    > Now that the days are getting shorter and I want to continue riding after work, I am looking for a
    > good rechargeable lighting system. I would like to spend less than $150 and keep it as close as
    > possible to $100.

    Those dinky 2 watt AA-battery headlights are useless except to be seen. I don't even consider 10
    watts adequate for a road bike on dark roads.

    The best deal - most light for the least price - is the Sigma Sport Mirage X, which has 2 lights
    totalling 25 watts. It's on sale at nashbar now for just $50:

    http://tinyurl.com/qfxa

    I've used it 2 winters so far with no problems.

    Michael

  7. Both my Niterider 6V 10watt single spot and the 10watt spot on my double 12V system (NiteRider) are
    fine for every thing but fast downhills (probably closer to 30mph). The 6V is actually a nicer,
    tighter spot. I also highly recommend the NightRider tail light. It's in a class by itself; I've had
    a nunber of drivers pull over or slow down to tell me how amazing it is.

    With the tail light, most NightRider systems are above your budget. I usually suggest people
    consider what they already have invested in their car's lighting system and would they consider not
    having that.

    Barry

    "Mark Atanovich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > FWIW, I find I "outrun" anything less than a 20W narrow (10 degree) light at speeds around 20 mph.

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    wle wrote:

    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > i just got a cygolite night rover nicad xtra rei has them on sale for $69
    >
    > 10 w narrow and a 6.3 flood
    >
    > runs 6 hours on low, 2 hours with both on
    >
    > nicad batteries
    >
    > seems pretty bright to me

    They are really nice but that's the regular price. Hasn't changed for at least the last two years

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/cygo.html

  9. anerobic

    anerobic New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    i have two lights which were reasonable in price for what i got.
    i have a marwi elite pro (double light) with a 20 and 15 watt bulb (total 35 watts). i love this light. the two are aimable independently, at least in the vertical axis. it comes with a water bottle battery - NIMH type, so it doesn't weigh a ton. i think it will run for two hours on 35 watt setting. you can also just use one or the other bulb for more runtime. you can find it for $147 at aebike.com. much less than other high end lights.
    i also have a single marwi elite bulb for my helmet, which i don't use much anymore. it was ok (nice and light, and $89), but can't compare to the 35 watt setup.