Good Reflector/tail Lights?

When it time for me to buy mine, this is one place I will not skimp. I have to have one, and the better it is the safer I feel.

lectraplayer said:
As a "for schnitz and giggles" experiment, I stuck a single LED in a standard low profile reflector, and it was supprisingly bright.
This is actually a really good idea. LEDs cost pennies. Batteries, a few bucks. Reflectors can be gotten for free. Someone on a tight budget could easily craft an effective light for a fraction of what it costs to buy one. If you want multiple LEDs simply wire them in parallel so the voltage drop remains 0.6 volts across all of them; no loss in brightness.

LED's take around 3 volts at 10 mA. .7 volts won't do squat with an LED, but it's exactly what a rectlfier diode takes.

Another idea I have is a yellow/white flasher in the front reflector...

Thanks for the correction, I got my components mixed up, haven't fiddled with electronics in a long time.

DancingLady said:
How important do you guys think flashing is? It seems to greatly hinder gauging distance. Do you think it would be better to just have a brighter solid light so they know where you are?
Most guys appreciate an attractive girl flashing but when talking about lights, a good rear light (or the primary light if there are several) should be set to be on all the time. Save the flashing lights for secondary lights.

:)

I agree, I don't have my rear light flashing because I don't think it's adequate. So even if it has that function I leave it on at all times, I prefer that than to have it on-off, can be a distraction to drivers.

What are some good but less expensive options for a front light? I don't want to spend $300 bucks, but at the same time I guess you get what you pay for most of the time.
fighting56.gif

Is having too bright a light a legit concern?

BrickTamland said:
What are some good but less expensive options for a front light? I don't want to spend $300 bucks, but at the same time I guess you get what you pay for most of the time.
I don't think you can go wrong with this one... On this one you can also replace the battery if it runs out midway or if it get's totaled: (They run out pretty fast, but you can charge whenever, no memory effects. Actually it's better to charge Li batteries before they get totally discharged.)

Check the other ones from that brand too. The circuits are quite good too, providing with a stable light output (flat discharge curve) and I think that the circuit protects the Li battery from being damaged from excessive discharge etc.

They also sell replacement mount hardware which is useful if you crash. I like the simpler mount hardware on these though, which is just a rubber loop.

http://www.lezyne.com/products-led.php

Product-LED-MiniXL.jpg

Reactions: BrickTamland
I'm going to have to try the cheap trick. I've already spent a lot more than I can afford, lol. Anywhere I can save a penny is heaven sent!