good results with Radiofrequency tissue ablation

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Roger, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Indian J Gastroenterol. 2003 May-Jun;22(3):91-3.

    Radiofrequency tissue ablation: an early Indian experience.

    Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, Bhopal Memorial Hospital and
    Research Center, Bhopal.

    INTRODUCTION: Radiofrequency (RF) tissue ablation has been tried safely and effectively in the West
    as percutaneous local tissue ablation therapy. We present our experience with this technique in
    malignant lesions. METHODS: RF tumor ablation was done using an RF generator (Berchtold; Germany)
    generating 35-50 RF watts of power output. The RF needle was placed in the tumor under image
    guidance (n = 22) or at open surgery (n = 1). Around 1500 watts/cm3 RF energy was delivered to the
    tumor. Over 21 months, 23 patients underwent the procedure for 73 lesions, including metastatic
    liver lesions (n = 21) and locally advanced inoperable carcinoma of pancreas (n = 2). RESULTS: All
    lesions less than 3 cm in size (n = 15) and 39% of lesions 3-4 cm in size (17/44) had complete
    necrosis. Residual tumor was seen in 27/44 lesions (61%) 3-4 cm in size and in all 14 lesions more
    than 4 cm in size. There was no mortality or major morbidity. There were two minor complications
    (ascites 1, pleural effusion 1). Of 21 patients treated for liver metastases, 10 are still alive (6-
    month survival 19/21 [90%] and 12-month survival 11/17 [64.7%]). Only 2 of 32 (6.2%) lesions with
    complete necrosis had local recurrence. CONCLUSION: RF tumor ablation is a safe and effective local
    tissue ablative method in Indian patients.

    Tags:

  2. J

    J Guest

    Roger wrote:

    > Indian J Gastroenterol. 2003 May-Jun;22(3):91-3.
    >
    > Radiofrequency tissue ablation:

    What is another term for the above, please? I cannot find any indication in relation to hospitals or
    cancer centres. J

  3. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

  4. J

    J Guest

    Sharon wrote:

    > "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > What is another term for the above, please? I cannot find any indication in relation to
    > > hospitals or cancer centres. J
    >
    > That is the term J:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=radio+fr
    > equency+ablation+cancer
    >
    > Cut and paste lines in your browser or go to google and input radio frequency ablation cancer

    Then it's not being used in Canada, UK, US, or Australia. I only find sleep apnea, Italy, Asia,
    Belgium etc. end of the road... I want to see places that use, comparisons between other treatments,
    costs of equipment, complications of, limitations of etc etc. Nada J

  5. Stage4

    Stage4 Guest

    try a search with Radiofrequency ablation

    "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sharon wrote:
    >
    > > "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > What is another term for the above, please? I cannot find any indication in relation to
    > > > hospitals or cancer
    centres.

    > > That is the term J:

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=radio+fr
    > > equency+ablation+cancer
    > >
    > > Cut and paste lines in your browser or go to google and input radio frequency ablation cancer
    >
    > Then it's not being used in Canada, UK, US, or Australia. I only find sleep apnea, Italy, Asia,
    > Belgium etc. end of the road... I want to see places that use, comparisons between other
    > treatments, costs
    of
    > equipment, complications of, limitations of etc etc. Nada J

  6. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Then it's not being used in Canada, UK, US, or Australia.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=radio+frequency+a blation+%22co.uk%22

    From the RACS (Australian Safety and Efficacy Register for new interventional procedures. http://www.surgeons.org/asernip-s/net-
    s/procedures1.htm#searchR

    And I can tell you that I am sure it is being used in the US. You may want to look here:
    http://www.cancerablation.com/faq.php

    > I want to see places that use, comparisons between other treatments, costs
    of
    > equipment, complications of, limitations of etc etc. Nada J

    Then I suggest that you use google, PubMed, eMedicine, and OMD and start checking it out. A
    good start:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22radio+frequency+ab lation%22+cancer

    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.org

  7. J

    J Guest

    Stage4 wrote:

    > try a search with Radiofrequency ablation

    Good eye, you figured out what I was doing wrong. It came to me as I woke up today, that I was
    copying the phrase from the report (that included the word "tissue") into the search engine. No
    wonder I couldn't find what I was looking for ! Thanks to you and thanks to Sharon, but now that
    Steph's back, I'm not bothering anyway/more. J

  8. Jack

    Jack Guest

    You might want to check www.robertsreview.com for latest interviews (audio, video, and
    transcripts)with leading doc's and researchers on new treatment protocols, drugs, research
    breakthroughs, and pain management. (I think they also offer special financial help to cancer
    patients...along with "top cancer treatment" hospitals/clinis.)

    I check 'em once or twice a week at http://www.robertsreview.com

    Hope this may be of some help to you.

    Jack