Good ride distance for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by standard63, Aug 27, 2005.

1. standard63

standard63 New Member

I have just recently bought my first road bike (R700) and am currently doing about 13-15 miles a day. I was just wondering what other people out there are doing or did as beginners. Right now i feel like I can do at least double, but its hard to find a nice ride around where i live. What are you other newbs doing out there?

Tags:

2. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

not really a newb, but 13-15 miles a day isn't bad... how often are u doing it? what is ur average? have u considered doing group rides?

3. SoFlaPedaler

SoFlaPedaler New Member

I started out going by time and not distance. I decided to lay down a decent fitness base by reaching target heart rate for 30 min. 3 times per week. I started out in June of this year, and have steadily progressed to my current ride: 15 min. warm-up (120-140 bpm), 45 min. at about 80% of THR (150-170 bpm), 15 min. cool down (120-135 bpm). So, it's an hour and 15 min. total and adds up to about 20 miles or so, depending on speed of course. (I'm on a mountaing bike, a road bike will be faster, thus more miles)
    I don't know if you are using a heart rate monitor, but I have found that to be the single most important thing that I did. It motivates me to stay at pace, and gives me good feedback about my ride. I would not be without it.

4. Rideastrong

Rideastrong New Member

As a beginner just don't lose sight of having fun while you ride. Once you stop having fun, your riding will no longer be enjoyable. Many of us on here are pretty structured in our training and have each day of the week planned out.

If you are doing 13-15 miles a day right now, why don't you try doing your same loop twice on a saturday or sunday and see how you feel. I know doing a loop 2x is kinda boring, but you will have the peice of mind knowing where you are and how much further you need to go incase you start to feel the pain.

5. macca1234

macca1234 New Member

try and join a club they will take you onto different roads. i know i was feeling just like you as a newb where to ride? but joining the club sorted that out quickly try and have fun but after a while start a trianing plan it gets u motivated and soon you'll be thinking about racing!13-15 miles is a good distance to start off with, maybe increase to 25 on weekends and see how u pull up.

6. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

I've always been in pretty decent shape but started seriously road biking about a month ago but I'm still in the process of really burning myself into my bike - right now its a 20 mile day, 35-40 mile day, rest, 20 mile day, 35-40 mile day, rest, and so on. Before I get on a really strict regimen and are starting out I think it's good to experiment for a little bit; if you feel you can go farther do it. Push yourself and get a feel for what hurts and what doesn't. You can always fall back on routine - just get your form down now.

7. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

People respond to exercise at different levels with such variables being current fitness levels, age, genetic gifts, life stresses, etc. I would have been proud to have started out at 13 - 15 miles.

At 2 1/2 years of cycling I still feel like a newb. ;) As a beginner I started out doing 3 miles 4 - 5 days per week. Then after a couple of months bumped it up to 6 miles. Then after a few more months 10 miles. Actually accomplished quite a bit that first Summer, even though my distances were short. Having come from a sedentary lifestyle for 9 or so years it was a vast improvement.

At the time (Spring through Fall '03) all I had was an old mountain bike, which is all I really needed for what I was doing. In September I bought myself a new MTB as a treat and a few months later I bought a comfort road bike and set some new goals for 2004, which were putting in as much saddle time as possible and riding a century. All of my workouts that year were low intensity while just trying to build up mileage.

My goals for '04 haven't quite been realised due to frequent bouts of bronchitis and illness, most likely exacerbated by too much intensity. Goals for next year are to complete what I didn't finish this year, which is more speed work but next year I'll do more moderate intensity/fitness work. I'm not a natural endurance athlete and as such my training shouldn't reflect that.

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger New Member

I've got a similar distance ride I do a few times a week -- the Capital Crescent Trail in DC / Maryland, which goes from Georgetown to Bethesda and on to Silver Spring.

The total distance round trip is about 17 miles.

In order to increase my mileage, I start out doing the 17 miles, and then I tack on whatever I can handle from there. The good thing is that at mile 17, I'm close to home, so I can just call it a day or I can tool around the Potomac for another couple of miles.

Another good option is to do your regular ride on the outbound portion of your loop, and then haul ass all the way back. This way you increase intensity without burning out a long way from home.

9. blobloblo

blobloblo New Member

Well i started really cycling about 3 weeks ago, although i often commute by bike. I started with a 1 hour 16miles ride, and yesterday i did 50miles, still 16mph. I am trying to do 90miles to build some resistance and then start climbing:cool:

10. West Texas Jim

West Texas Jim New Member

I started cycling a month ago. I'm 22, 5'11" and 177 lbs. My first few rides were 3 miles long, to get the hang of things. Then I did a 15 mile ride, and now I'm doing 19 mile rides on my lunch break, with some coworkers.. about three times a week. My average speed varies between 13 and 15mph, depending on the ferocity of the west texas wind.

Cycling with my coworkers is nice, because they are more talented than I am, so they challenge me to step out of my comfort zone.

That's all the newbie insight I can offer :cool:

11. ChristoffH

ChristoffH New Member

I started at 15 or so for my first ride. I felt like that was some distance. Doing the 20 ish somewhat hilly mile ride WAS something to write home about. Couple months later and I can do 65 mile rides. Just move up the distance slowly. I did a drastic jump and I was definitely feeling it...

12. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I am a beginner junior in aus and I am training at a distance of 12-20 miles (19.2-32Kms) on gradients of up to 10% and I find I am gaining immense power on the flats. I am racing in 3 weeks on a 27K course with 2 long(5 KM) hills and am looking for training advice on how to tackle them

13. rule62

rule62 New Member

The smartest thing that I did when I first started riding was to focus on a goal. For me it was to get to the point that I could hold a pedal cadence of around 100rpm for a full hour. I didn't care how fast I went or how far. I focused on picking up my pedaling cadence and becoming more comfortable and efficient at a higher rpm. I picked up a ton of aerobic fitness in the process, got a ton more effective and comfortable on the bike and laid a great foundation for the next phases of my training.

With that in place the miles, speed and endurance on the bike came in no time.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Keep it up! ;)

14. malbs04

malbs04 New Member

no need to ride long hard sessions i ama pro rider all u need is to keep ur riding consitant and not let any one stand in your way ..peace out lads

15. PolishPaul

PolishPaul New Member

I'm 6' tall, 26 years male, 5 years ex smoker, not in best shape. I did ride about 9 years ago. Road biker.

I just started again - just like texas, i did a few loops around the hood 3-4 miles to learn the bike. Then my friend took me out for a 4 person pack ride with a nice hill or two. We did 25 miles. I didn't think i'd even do 10 but they told me the first 10 is a warm up. He was right, at the end of the ride i wanted to go for more more more. in my first month now i'm doing about 25mi * 3 times a week.

I think the trick to new riding is just an easy pace, don't give up, your body will kick in to higher gear. I'd seriously consider riding with others. It modivates you and paces you.

Peace,
    PP

16. LOW2000

LOW2000 New Member

Distance is pretty misleading, it factors on a lot more than just fitness or power, its a lot easier for example to ride 20 miles on a road bike than 20 miles on a mountain bike.

I ride 1:15 on weeknights after work and 2:30-2:45 on weekends. I just ride as free time allows, I don't have a set schedule. When I first started, distance and time on the bike were more a function of how sore my rear end was, not how sore my legs were.

Even now, its just a matter of how much stuff I want to bring along in terms of nourishment or fear of getting a flat 20+ miles from home and having to call someone to pick me up. I don't have an underseat back with a repair kit or a pump yet for roadside repairs. I havn't been riding too long since getting back on a bike and am trying not to spend tons of money buying lots of toys. House first, then toys ;)

17. Sublime99

Sublime99 New Member

I am pretty new to cycling but i ride about 60-80 miles a week 20 miles each time and 3-4 times a week for now. I train by HR zones, and alternate my routes to get in a mixture of hills, flats, rolling terrain you name it. My average speed varies from 15-17 mph i have on been riding a couple of months but since i have quit smoking i notice a big improvment.

I think for a beginner it is important to not try and worry about speed and so on, i think it is most important to get a strong base built i.e. mileage and time on a single ride up to lets say 2 hours or 40-50 miles comfortably then start intervals and tempo ride and such. My longest ride to date is 52 miles at 2hours 40 minutes, i was beat needless to say but i did it and it built my confidence and edurance level a bit.

18. DCWD

DCWD New Member

I started out (again) 2 years ago doing a "killer" 4 mile commute to the office on my mountain bike three days each week. It took me a half-hour. Six months ago, I got a road bike and got more serious about training for endurance on weekends, found longer and longer routes to work; started trying out a lot of the advice I see posted in this forum. Now I ride about 10 miles each way to work four days each week, take a really long way in to the office another day - 25 miles or so - and just committed to 100 miles each weekend starting this month, even if it takes me two or three rides to make the distance. ...so I guess I'm saying that I started at ~25 miles/week in short increments. Once I really made a commitment, I was up to 50 then 100 miles per week after a few months and now I'm up to about 200 miles per week a few months after that. Oh, and going 8x the distance only takes me about 2x as many hours. Bonus! the speed comes with time in the saddle at no extra cost!