Good rides near Reading, PA or Lancaster, PA?

michael01612

Jan 11, 2007
Hi,

I am planning to visit Adamstown, PA next June. Gettysburg, Hershey Park, Amish country, etc....

Scouting out good riding in that area.....rides, loops, destinations, hills, centuries, local clubs, etc....

Many thanks for any tips, links, advice, or ideas....

Mike

There are plenty of good rides and they are listed in a few good books. I will dig them out and let you know the publisher. They are paperback and inexpensive. There is one which starts in Ephrata, and goes counterclockwise through Lititz, PA, and through some beautiful farmland with rolling terrain and one horrific climb (Kistle Hill Road).

michael01612 said:
Hi,

I am planning to visit Adamstown, PA next June. Gettysburg, Hershey Park, Amish country, etc....

Scouting out good riding in that area.....rides, loops, destinations, hills, centuries, local clubs, etc....

Many thanks for any tips, links, advice, or ideas....

Mike

Mike,
In "Short Bike Rides In and Around Philadelphia", by Ann Lembo and Joe Surkiewicz, Globe Pequot Press, Old Saybrook, CT, (1994), there are three rides listed under Lancaster County Loop:
Bird-in-Hand 17 mi. rolling terrain
Intercourse 16 mi. rolling
Blue Ball 13 mi. rolling
Also:
Gettysburg National Park 7.4 mi. gently rolling

In "25 Bicycle Tours in Eastern Pennsylvania", by Dale Adams and Dale Speicher, Backcountry Publications, The Countryman Press, Inc., Woodstock, Vermont, 2ed. (1989), there are several good rides:
Dutch Country - 27.8 mi. flat to rolling
Ephrata (my favorite) 29.7 mi., mostly flat, some rolling
Gettysburg 35.7 mi. flta to rolling with some hills and one climb.

If you cannot find these books and want a particular cue sheet, let me know and I will try to scan and .pdf and e-mail to you.

The Ephrata loop is so peacefully quiet and beautiful on a Sunday. Almost no cars, a few horse drawn buggies - everyone is in church or coming to and from church.

Let me know. Good luck.

Many thanks for the suggestions ! Much appreciated!

I am really looking forward to this vacation, and exploring the region on my bike.

philly_sax said:
Mike,
In "Short Bike Rides In and Around Philadelphia", by Ann Lembo and Joe Surkiewicz, Globe Pequot Press, Old Saybrook, CT, (1994), there are three rides listed under Lancaster County Loop:
Bird-in-Hand 17 mi. rolling terrain
Intercourse 16 mi. rolling
Blue Ball 13 mi. rolling
Also:
Gettysburg National Park 7.4 mi. gently rolling

In "25 Bicycle Tours in Eastern Pennsylvania", by Dale Adams and Dale Speicher, Backcountry Publications, The Countryman Press, Inc., Woodstock, Vermont, 2ed. (1989), there are several good rides:
Dutch Country - 27.8 mi. flat to rolling
Ephrata (my favorite) 29.7 mi., mostly flat, some rolling
Gettysburg 35.7 mi. flta to rolling with some hills and one climb.

If you cannot find these books and want a particular cue sheet, let me know and I will try to scan and .pdf and e-mail to you.

The Ephrata loop is so peacefully quiet and beautiful on a Sunday. Almost no cars, a few horse drawn buggies - everyone is in church or coming to and from church.

Let me know. Good luck.