good road shoe,s

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by den911, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    i am after purchasing some decent road shoes , prefer shimano can anyone point me in right direction of any good sites on web i have had a quick nosey around but not found anywere that deals mainly in shoes , or decent selection . thanks

    Tags:

  2. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Have a look at Settle Cycles,they seem to have a fair selection.Post free too.

    http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

    Sam Salt

    den911 wrote:
    > i am after purchasing some decent road shoes , prefer shimano can anyone point me in right
    > direction of any good sites on web i have had a quick nosey around but not found anywere that
    > deals mainly in shoes , or decent selection . thanks

  3. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Settle Cycles tend to be a bit more expensive than some other on-line stores. Do shop around. To the
    original poster, try the shoes on first, I have some Sidi Technos from a few years ago and some Sidi
    Genius 4 from last year, there is much more room in the newer shoes. Other brands have different
    characteristics.

    Paying £70+ for a pair of shoes they will be pretty good no matter what brand, make sure they fit
    properly and they'll last for years.

    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have a look at Settle Cycles,they seem to have a fair selection.Post free too.
    >
    > http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/
    >

    > Sam Salt
    >
    > den911 wrote:
    > > i am after purchasing some decent road shoes , prefer shimano can anyone point me in right
    > > direction of any good sites on web i have had a quick nosey around but not found anywere that
    > > deals mainly in shoes , or decent selection . thanks

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Settle Cycles tend to be a bit more expensive than some other on-line stores. Do shop around. To
    > the original poster, try the shoes on first, I have some Sidi Technos from a few years ago and
    > some Sidi Genius 4 from
    last
    > year, there is much more room in the newer shoes. Other brands have different characteristics.
    >
    > Paying £70+ for a pair of shoes they will be pretty good no matter what brand, make sure they fit
    > properly and they'll last for years.

    <snip>

    Hi M Series

    Do you really need road shoes? Do they make that much of a difference to your cycling experience?
    And if they do, do you really need to pay £70 to get a decent pair.

    Yours Chris

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Do I really need road shoes ? Well yes, screwing look cleats to my brogues worked for a while but
    the soles were not stiff enough, I looked like a complete wally too. Do they make that much
    difference to my cycling experience ? difference to what ? I ride road bikes so road shoes are the
    natural choice, they make a huge difference to cycling in trainers with toe clips. One probably does
    not need to spend £70, in fact my newest pair were £50, perhaps there are cheaper brands, there are
    probably cheaper brands of all the parts on my bike.

    One can spend much much more for road shoes, my point was that all the brands which are in the top
    half of the price bracket will be good at what they do and long lasting.

    Are you thinking of Sidi Genius v mountain bike type shoes ? The mountain bike type shoes I had with
    recessed SPD cleats were more flexible than my road shoes as they allowed for walking, road shoes
    don't and hence are designed purely for cycling.

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Settle Cycles tend to be a bit more expensive than some other on-line stores. Do shop around. To
    > > the original poster, try the shoes on first,
    > > have some Sidi Technos from a few years ago and some Sidi Genius 4 from
    > last
    > > year, there is much more room in the newer shoes. Other brands have different characteristics.
    > >
    > > Paying £70+ for a pair of shoes they will be pretty good no matter what brand, make sure they
    > > fit properly and they'll last for years.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Hi M Series
    >
    > Do you really need road shoes? Do they make that much of a difference to your cycling experience?
    > And if they do, do you really need to pay £70 to get a decent pair.
    >

    > Yours Chris

  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Beware of stiff carbon soles... sound very nice but if you have 45 year old feet like mine you may
    need something a bit more supportive. Diadora/Specialized maybe ?

  7. Jim wrote:

    > Beware of stiff carbon soles... sound very nice but if you have 45 year old feet like mine you may
    > need something a bit more supportive. Diadora/Specialized maybe ?

    Beware of Specialized, since their idea of a Euro 43 is everyone else's idea of a Euro 42.

    Note to self: NEVER buy shoes sight unseen off the InterWeb.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do I really need road shoes ? Well yes, screwing look cleats to my brogues worked for a while but
    > the soles were not stiff enough, I looked like a complete wally too. Do they make that much
    > difference to my cycling experience ? difference to what ? I ride road bikes so road shoes are the
    > natural choice, they make a huge difference to cycling in trainers with
    toe
    > clips. One probably does not need to spend £70, in fact my newest pair
    were
    > £50, perhaps there are cheaper brands, there are probably cheaper brands
    of
    > all the parts on my bike.
    >
    > One can spend much much more for road shoes, my point was that all the brands which are in the top
    > half of the price bracket will be good at what they do and long lasting.
    >
    > Are you thinking of Sidi Genius v mountain bike type shoes ? The mountain bike type shoes I had
    > with recessed SPD cleats were more flexible than my road shoes as they allowed for walking, road
    > shoes don't and hence are designed purely for cycling.

    <snip>

    Hi M Series

    I have been riding for over a year now, but use very little cycling specific gear. The main reason
    for this is that when I do look at cycling wear, the price alone puts me off. I ride to work every
    day, I use everyday clothing, and safety clothing of course. My bicycle is what I believe is called
    a hybrid, I call it a bicycle; It certainly does not have clips on the pedals, does this make a
    difference or would road shoes as you call them still be a good idea, or are they for clips. You see
    even after a year of cycling I am still learning about cycling, the types of maintenance required to
    keep the bike running the types of work that can be done at home and the sort that you have to put
    the bicycle into a shop for.

    Yours Chris

  9. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do I really need road shoes ? Well yes, screwing look cleats to my brogues worked for a while but
    > the soles were not stiff enough, I looked like a complete wally too.

    LOL! :)

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  10. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > I have been riding for over a year now, but use very little cycling
    specific
    > gear. The main reason for this is that when I do look at cycling wear,
    the
    > price alone puts me off. I ride to work every day, I use everyday
    clothing,
    > and safety clothing of course. My bicycle is what I believe is called a hybrid, I call it a
    > bicycle; It certainly does not have clips on the
    pedals,
    > does this make a difference or would road shoes as you call them still be
    > good idea, or are they for clips. You see even after a year of cycling I
    am
    > still learning about cycling, the types of maintenance required to keep
    the
    > bike running the types of work that can be done at home and the sort that you have to put the
    > bicycle into a shop for.
    >

    > Yours Chris

    Chris, I think the answer is it depends on the type of riding you do. For the type of riding you do,
    your clothing may be more than adequate, but for those of us who race, or those who ride road bikes
    for many miles certainly benefit from cycling (or road) specific shoes. Personally I use Sidi
    Genius, they cost £85 and in my opinion was money well spent. They have a super stiff sole which
    transmits all the power I can produce through to the drivetrain of my bike and they still look in
    the same condition as when I bought them new 18 months ago. I doubt if I would be saying that if I
    rode in a pair of Dunlop Green Flashes ;-)

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  11. den911

    den911 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003

  12. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    I doubt if I would be saying that if I rode
    > in a pair of Dunlop Green Flashes ;-)
    >

    > --
    > Mark

    I'd completely forgotten about those. Do they still make them? I could use a pair. Not for cycling
    you understand. They were the best trainers. I once had a more expensive pair of Silver Flash but
    they weren't as good - too fancy, not as solid and reliable. I think a wave of '70s nostalgia is
    making me gaga, I'd better go now.

    tony R.

  13. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Do I really need road shoes ? Well yes, screwing look cleats to my
    brogues
    > > worked for a while but the soles were not stiff enough, I looked
    like a
    > > complete wally too.
    >
    > LOL! :)

    However, Cycling Plus published a special on the TdF with this month's issue: take a look at the
    picture on Page 21 captioned "Stage 15: Nice cleats".

    Admittedly they aren't brogues....

    --
    Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
    related with booze?"

  14. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

  15. tony R wrote:

    > I'd completely forgotten about those. Do they still make them [Dunlop
    Green Flash]?

    I think so. I saw a bloke wearing a pair yesterday while aboard a mountain bike, and they looked
    clean enough that they can't have been very old.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Google says you can buy them at: http://www.jamesandjames.com/

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Chris, I think the answer is it depends on the type of riding you do.
    For
    > the type of riding you do, your clothing may be more than adequate, but
    for
    > those of us who race, or those who ride road bikes for many miles
    certainly
    > benefit from cycling (or road) specific shoes. Personally I use Sidi Genius, they cost £85 and in
    > my opinion was money well spent. They have a super stiff sole which transmits all the power I can
    > produce through to
    the
    > drivetrain of my bike and they still look in the same condition as when I bought them new 18
    > months ago. I doubt if I would be saying that if I
    rode
    > in a pair of Dunlop Green Flashes ;-)
    >

    > --
    > Mark
    >
    > "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

    Hi Mark

    Well I certainly don't race for pleasure, my work place which I cycle to during the week is 6.5
    miles away and takes me roughly 35 - 40 minutes, dependant on weather or traffic.

    Yours Chris

  18. M Series

    M Series Guest

    For rides of 6.5 miles I would stick with what you know. For long rides of say two hours or more you
    may find your feet start to hurt especially if your pedals are not flat and have two horizontal bars
    on which your foot presses. Proper cycling shoes would help this situation. With your foot
    permanently attached to the pedal it is possible to use different pedalling actions, not just push
    but pull up and scrape back thus reliving your usual pedalling muscles for a few moment. Probably
    not important on short rides but on long rides it helps.

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Chris, I think the answer is it depends on the type of riding you do.
    > For
    > > the type of riding you do, your clothing may be more than adequate, but
    > for
    > > those of us who race, or those who ride road bikes for many miles
    > certainly
    > > benefit from cycling (or road) specific shoes. Personally I use Sidi Genius, they cost £85 and
    > > in my opinion was money well spent. They have
    > > super stiff sole which transmits all the power I can produce through to
    > the
    > > drivetrain of my bike and they still look in the same condition as when
    > > bought them new 18 months ago. I doubt if I would be saying that if I
    > rode
    > > in a pair of Dunlop Green Flashes ;-)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them
    > > speak"
    >
    > Hi Mark
    >
    > Well I certainly don't race for pleasure, my work place which I cycle to during the week is 6.5
    > miles away and takes me roughly 35 - 40 minutes, dependant on weather or traffic.
    >

    > Yours Chris

  19. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    tony R wrote:
    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    > I doubt if I would be saying that if I rode
    >> in a pair of Dunlop Green Flashes ;-)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark
    >
    > I'd completely forgotten about those. Do they still make them? I could use a pair. Not for cycling
    > you understand. They were the best trainers. I once had a more expensive pair of Silver Flash but
    > they weren't as good - too fancy, not as solid and reliable. I think a wave of '70s nostalgia is
    > making me gaga, I'd better go now.
    >
    > tony R.

    I still wear them, perfect shoes for summer.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  20. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For rides of 6.5 miles I would stick with what you know. For long rides of say two hours or more
    > you may find your feet start to hurt especially if your pedals are not flat and have two
    > horizontal bars on which your foot presses. Proper cycling shoes would help this situation. With
    > your foot permanently attached to the pedal it is possible to use different
    pedalling
    > actions, not just push but pull up and scrape back thus reliving your
    usual
    > pedalling muscles for a few moment. Probably not important on short rides but on long rides
    > it helps.

    Hi Mark

    Thanks for the info, I am considering longer rides in the future, of roughly 40 miles, so may well
    consider more suitable attire for that journey.

    Yours Chris