Good Road Tyre

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gonzo, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. Gonzo

    Gonzo Guest

    I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture resistant,
    and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.

    Thanks, Gonzo

    Tags:

  2. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Gonzo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    > Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture
    > resistant, and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.

    What size do you want? What sort of riding do you do? What's your budget?

    I use Avocet Fasgrip Duro slicks
    (http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12.html). I love them but no-one
    stocks them in Oz so I had to ship them in myself.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Gonzo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    > Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture

    resistant,
    > and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.

    Puncture resistance seems to be related more
    to rider skill and luck than tyre properties.
    Long wearing means - don't buy race tyres.
    Good value means - don't buy race tyres. ;-)

    Go to your LBS and grab a $30-40 tyre off their
    rack. Continental, Vredestein, Schwalbe,
    Michelin, etc. all have training tyres that would
    suit. Examples:
    http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details @ID=231
    http://www.freedommachine.com.au/item.asp?Category=119&Start=0&ID=459
    http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category10_1.htm

    hth
    hippy

  4. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    Gonzo wrote:
    > I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    > Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture
    > resistant, and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.
    >
    > Thanks, Gonzo

    I use Continental Gator Skins, seem to do the trick just nicely.. $45ish
    each.. google for brands mentioned here and I'm sure you'll get lots of
    reviews..

    GPL

  5. >>>>> "GPLama" == GPLama <[email protected]> writes:

    GPLama> Gonzo wrote:
    >> I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike. Can
    >> someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture
    >> resistant, and good value, and what should I expect to pay for
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Gonzo

    GPLama> I use Continental Gator Skins, seem to do the trick just
    GPLama> nicely.. $45ish each.. google for brands mentioned here and
    GPLama> I'm sure you'll get lots of reviews..

    Seconded. Apart from when I rode full tilt over a bit of 2X4 in the
    dark I haven't had a puncture since I replaced my tires with Gator
    Skins.

    What's the betting I get one tomorrow now?
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  6. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:33:19 +1000, Gonzo wrote:

    > I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    > Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture resistant,
    > and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.

    I've used Continental Grand Prix S for several thousand km, and have never
    had a puncture with them. I last paid $35 each for them (more than I pay
    for car tyres!)

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I've used Continental Grand Prix S for several thousand km, and have never
    > had a puncture with them. I last paid $35 each for them (more than I pay
    > for car tyres!)

    I hope I'm not in front of you when you need
    to make an emergency stop?!
    I once bought used tyres for my car and I
    don't even think they were that cheap..

    hippy
    - doesn't believe in cheap car tyres any more

  8. >>>>> "euan" == euan b uk <[email protected]> writes:

    euan> Seconded. Apart from when I rode full tilt over a bit of 2X4
    euan> in the dark I haven't had a puncture since I replaced my tires
    euan> with Gator Skins.

    euan> What's the betting I get one tomorrow now? -- Cheers Euan

    Lame responding to own post I know but guess what? Pumping up rear tire
    this morning "Pssssssssshhhhh"

    Ah blow. Not a puncture, valve gave way. Last time I open my mouth
    about punctures!
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  9. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I really like my Continental Travel Contacts, 2 punctures in the 1st 2 weeks and none in the next 4000km. Dearer but also fast, handle well, comfortable on rough bitumen - unlike the Duratour "triathalon" shit I was running for some unknowable reason. Beware, I now carry needlenosed pliers to remove the remains of thorns, wire, etc that have penetrated the armour - equally hard to get the buggers out, luckily both flats were in the lit work bikepark.

  10. EggBeeta

    EggBeeta Guest

    Top posting deliberately to bug drs ! He can rant on, plonked a week ago.

    Have had a good run with Specialized Armadillo tyres.

    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=specialized+armadillo&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    Heaps of reviews and stuff.
    Not going to brag as its VERY dangerous but have had a good run with
    Specialized Armadillos, that blue tape stuff and slime. Sounds like
    overkill I know but the crap on the roads in Townsville is amazing and we
    have those huge bindy eyes - goats heads, tripple Js or whatever. They are
    an instant flat on normal tyres. It is an expensive way to go $50 + $10 + $
    5 per wheel but its bliss compared to repairing punctures 3 times a week.

    About a third of the people I ride with use them too and are happy with the
    performance all round. Can be pumped up to 140 for the special occasion no
    problems.

    Cheers

    John

    > "Gonzo" wrote >
    > I want to replace my standard tyres on my Trek Road Bike.
    > > Can someone recommend a good tyre that is long wearing, Puncture

    > resistant,
    > > and good value, and what should I expect to pay for it.

    Hippy Wrote
    > Puncture resistance seems to be related more
    > to rider skill and luck than tyre properties.
    > Long wearing means - don't buy race tyres.
    > Good value means - don't buy race tyres. ;-)
    >
    > Go to your LBS and grab a $30-40 tyre off their
    > rack. Continental, Vredestein, Schwalbe,
    > Michelin, etc. all have training tyres that would
    > suit. Examples:
    > http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details @ID=231
    > http://www.freedommachine.com.au/item.asp?Category=119&Start=0&ID=459
    > http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category10_1.htm
    >
    > hth
    > hippy

  11. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "EggBeeta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Top posting deliberately to bug drs ! He can rant on, plonked a week
    > ago.

    You're still a stupid, selfish shit.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  12. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Thus spake Zarathustra. Wisdom to echo down the ages.

    Now for my bit:

    I like cheapie Vredestiens. They feel nice whilst rolling fairly fast.

    M "trashes rubber like a sick monkey" H

  13. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    More bike industry shortcomings. Tsk, tsk. No-one except you likes them.

  14. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    from what Sheldon Brown wrote, they don't deal with distributors and I gather the Australian distributors can be rather obnoxious if a LBS deals direct, even if its something they don't bring in.
    Its not just the bike industry, Gordon&Gotch decides what magazines we can read.

  15. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DRS Wrote:

    [...]

    >> I use Avocet Fasgrip Duro slicks
    >> (http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12.html). I love them but
    >> no-one
    >> stocks them in Oz so I had to ship them in myself.
    >>

    > More bike industry shortcomings. Tsk, tsk. No-one except you likes
    > them.

    That's funny, they have an extremely good reputation in the States.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  16. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Conti 2000s on the good road bike for day to day riding
    Schwalbe Marathons on the old tourer (27 inch wheels and hard to get good tyres for, so a mate brought the Schwalbes back from Germany as a present for me)
    Conti Travel Contacts on the commuter

    Happy with them all

    SteveA

  17. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:47:15 GMT, hippy wrote:

    > I hope I'm not in front of you when you need
    > to make an emergency stop?!

    I don't brake for cages :)

    > I once bought used tyres for my car and I
    > don't even think they were that cheap..

    Retreads for my old Corolla are $29 at the local tyre shop. Since my
    racer is worth a lot more than the car, it's only fair that even its tyres
    are, too.

    --

  18. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:47:15 GMT, hippy wrote:

    > I hope I'm not in front of you when you need
    > to make an emergency stop?!

    I don't brake for cages :)

    > I once bought used tyres for my car and I
    > don't even think they were that cheap..

    Retreads for my old Corolla are $29 at the local tyre shop. Since my
    racer is worth a lot more than the car, it's only fair that even its tyres
    are, too.

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  19. rayner

    rayner New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2003
    maxxis make some pretty long wearing stuff thats cheap and pretty puncture proof. Got over 12000k on my current ones and they're not looking like giving up yet. Got 16000 out of a front one the other year. The fuse model is under 40 bucks.

  20. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "rayner" <[email protected]
    > maxxis make some pretty long wearing stuff thats cheap and pretty
    > puncture proof. Got over 12000k on my current ones and they're not
    > looking like giving up yet. Got 16000 out of a front one the other
    > year. The fuse model is under 40 bucks.

    16,000k's!?!? Damn! I get about 4000k out of a
    Mich Pro Race and 'maybe' double that out of a
    non-race tyre like a Vredstein Pariba(sp?)...

    hippy