Good route from San Francisco to Palo Alto?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Steve Jasper, May 12, 2003.

  1. Steve Jasper

    Steve Jasper Guest

    Hi there....I'm looking for a good route from San Francisco to my new job in Palo Alto (university
    ave, near the Caltrain).

    I do a bike/train combo now, but I'm feeling adventerous and want to try to make it all the way....

    Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in the
    peninsula might be a good choice, but I'd love to hear from others who take this route. The best
    situation would be to stay within a mile or two of the caltrain....I ride a mountain bike and am in
    so-so shape, so this ride is on the long side for me.

    Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

    - kerry

    "..one less car..."

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Jasper) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in
    > the peninsula might be a good choice, b

    El Camino has lots and lots of traffic lights. Middlefield is faster. Canada/Skyline is more scenic.

  3. Ed Swierk

    Ed Swierk Guest

    On 12 May 2003, Steve Jasper wrote:

    > Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in
    > the peninsula might be a good choice, but I'd love to hear from others who take this route. The
    > best situation would be to stay within a mile or two of the caltrain....I ride a mountain bike and
    > am in so-so shape, so this ride is on the long side for me.

    The Peninsula Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition offers two north-south routes between SF and PA. It
    sounds like the downtown route might work for you:

    http://www.penbiped.org/project-north-south-route.html

    I also highly recommend the Krebs bicycle touring map of the South San Frnacisco Bay Area, available
    in many bicycle shops and online:

    http://members.cruzio.com/~krebsmap/

    You might also try posting your question on the ba.bicycles newsgroup, where many participants are
    likely to have ridden between SF and PA.

    --Ed

    --
    Ed Swierk [email protected]