Good route from San Francisco to Palo Alto?

Steve Jasper

Guest
Hi there....I'm looking for a good route from San Francisco to my new job in Palo Alto (university
ave, near the Caltrain).

I do a bike/train combo now, but I'm feeling adventerous and want to try to make it all the way....

Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in the
peninsula might be a good choice, but I'd love to hear from others who take this route. The best
situation would be to stay within a mile or two of the caltrain....I ride a mountain bike and am in
so-so shape, so this ride is on the long side for me.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

- kerry

"..one less car..."

[email protected] (Steve Jasper) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in
> the peninsula might be a good choice, b

El Camino has lots and lots of traffic lights. Middlefield is faster. Canada/Skyline is more scenic.

On 12 May 2003, Steve Jasper wrote:

> Can anyone offer any route suggestions from, say, the mission in SF? I think maybe el camino in
> the peninsula might be a good choice, but I'd love to hear from others who take this route. The
> best situation would be to stay within a mile or two of the caltrain....I ride a mountain bike and
> am in so-so shape, so this ride is on the long side for me.

The Peninsula Bicycle & Pedestrian Coalition offers two north-south routes between SF and PA. It
sounds like the downtown route might work for you:

http://www.penbiped.org/project-north-south-route.html

I also highly recommend the Krebs bicycle touring map of the South San Frnacisco Bay Area, available
in many bicycle shops and online:

http://members.cruzio.com/~krebsmap/

You might also try posting your question on the ba.bicycles newsgroup, where many participants are
likely to have ridden between SF and PA.

--Ed

--
Ed Swierk [email protected]