Good routes around West Berkshire

adamphelps

Jan 7, 2005
Does anyone know of any good routes around west berkshire? Preferably around Newbury.

Adam

The round berkshire cycle way isn't bad in parts, tho some signs are missing or pointed in the wrong direction and most of it is quiet roads. Alternatively get an os map and works out some quiet routes, all will have hills in though.

Around Inkpen is fine, and combe gibbet and warbury hill are slow up and fast down.

You can go towards and over watership down, lots of nice realtively quiet routes there

There is also cycle route 4 which has nice oarts and follows the canal in places, not much use for a tike or tandem though

I mostly look at the map and follow quiet routes where possible.

James

jjcarling said:
The round berkshire cycle way isn't bad in parts, tho some signs are missing or pointed in the wrong direction and most of it is quiet roads. Alternatively get an os map and works out some quiet routes, all will have hills in though.

Around Inkpen is fine, and combe gibbet and warbury hill are slow up and fast down.

You can go towards and over watership down, lots of nice realtively quiet routes there

There is also cycle route 4 which has nice oarts and follows the canal in places, not much use for a tike or tandem though

I mostly look at the map and follow quiet routes where possible.

James
Thanks James. I'll have to go and check out around Inkpen, as I cycle to Kintbury regularly. I've been walking on Watership Down, but never been cycling. I'll have to get over there on my bike.

Adam

I rode a 100k audax event from Newbury over Chute, past Thruxton race track, through the Walops to Stockbridge and then back up the Test and Bourne valleys. The final climbs around Inkpen got us puffing a bit :) I could post the route instructions if you'd like.