good routes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, May 30, 2003.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I'm keen to find out about good cycling around London. At the moment I cycle from Barnet up to Welwyn Gdn City along the A1000. This a nice route with relatively little traffic. It means I can worry less about the cars and more about getting into a rhythmn on the ride.

    Does anyone else have any good routes they can recommend that limits the amount of dirty smelly cars?

    Tags:

  2. Danny,

    Continue on past W/G city and on to Cambridge via Royston and back on the train. A great Route!!

    Tommy

    "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm keen to find out about good cycling around London. At the moment I cycle from Barnet up to
    > Welwyn Gdn City along the A1000. This a nice route with relatively little traffic. It means I can
    > worry less about the cars and more about getting into a rhythmn on the ride.
    >
    > Does anyone else have any good routes they can recommend that limits the amount of dirty
    > smelly cars?

  3. > I'm keen to find out about good cycling around London. At the moment I cycle from Barnet up to
    > Welwyn Gdn City along the A1000. This a nice route with relatively little traffic. It means I can
    > worry less about the cars and more about getting into a rhythmn on the ride.

    There's an outfit called thw Countryside Management Service which has devised a number of bike
    routes in that area. There's a leaflet for each one, and the routes are signposted. They've been
    reorganized, so I don't have a phone no at the moment. There's also a book, John Hession, "Twenty
    Cycle Rides in Herts" Castlemead Publications, 1996.

    There's Sustrans route 12, starting at hadley Wood train station, going
    N. to Stevenage. Generally it's a bit W. of the A 1000, ducking under the M25 back behind the S.
    Mimms service area.

    Or you could come on a Barnet Cyclists' ride, details on our web site <www.come.to/BarnetLCC>

    Jeremy Parker borough coordinator Barnet Cyclists (Barnet branch of the LCC)

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > I'm keen to find out about good cycling around London. At the moment I cycle from Barnet up to
    > Welwyn Gdn City along the A1000. This a nice route with relatively little traffic. It means I can
    > worry less about the cars and more about getting into a rhythmn on the ride.
    >
    > Does anyone else have any good routes they can recommend that limits the amount of dirty
    > smelly cars?

    1. Instead of a set route, I recommend exploring the lanes and villages to the west of the A1000 -
    inside the large rectangle that is formed by the A10, A414, A1000 and A121. Some very steep
    hills but they're short and all part of the enjoyment. Nicer than some of the neighbouring
    districts, and quite rural considering it's not far out of London.

    2. Alternatively, for a longer ride, you could veer off to St Albans instead of going straight to
    WGC (nevermind the heavy traffic along some of the way, it's worth it), then head up to
    Wheathampstead, then Kimpton (grid ref: 187185*). Take some narrow lanes due east through some
    beautiful peaceful countryside (really feels like being in middle of nowhere and quite
    different to surrounding areas). Could either just stop at Welwyn or go on to Watten at Stone
    (has a railway station, for reference).

    3. For something different again (and long), head east through the Enfield area (again, put up
    with the traffic to get the hell out of Barnet

    to Herts (and is generally flatter & more open, although not all is). Lots of good cycling can be
    done around Epping Forest district and south of there, etc.

    4. For shorter local blasts, there's always Hadley Wood, Trent Park area and Enfield Chase.

    5. Go out with absolutely no plans or maps and randomly explore Greater London and
    surrounding counties.

    6. For calm sane slow riding: Various canal tow paths or the Greenway in east London (rough surface
    but an interesting alternative little ride).

    7. If you're feeling mad: A406 North Circular. Surpisingly good pure cycling once you stop worrying
    about the cars. And a great way of simply getting from one side of London to the other quickly
    on a bike.

    8. If you're feeling barking mad: Into central London, after 9.30pm on a hot sticky summer night
    with no wind (must be no or v light wind!) and stay on the main roads. Most exciting cycling
    DESPITE all the traffic lights - if you have a certain kind of mind, I suppose - always my very
    best rides are these. Physically, you get a work out from all the accelerations; mentally,
    there's the massive buzz from negotiating the traffic and constant junctions (NO straight boring
    sections!) and high speeds in places provided by the flat sheltered roads and smooth tarmac
    (despite potholes) - with the lights and people fueling the atomosphere. Who needs drugs when
    you've got a bike in London! :)

    * Ordinance Survey map No. 166 is good.

    ps. Sorry much of the above totally contradicts your direct request of avoiding dirty smelly cars! I
    got very carried away, didn't I. Thing is, we wouldn't have such good (and clean) roads if it
    weren't for the damn things.

    cheers ~PB

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > 1. Instead of a set route, I recommend exploring the lanes and villages to the west of the A1000

    Correction: east of A1000

    ~PB

  6. . And once you've tried all these defin-ate-ly no-car routes, you just may appreciate something else
    about cars apart from their being dirty/smelly.... I recall the first cycle-path I rode - I began to
    be aware of bird-song all over the place (made me decide to buy a book to learn what I'd been
    listening to!), I could hear the sound of the tyres on the path surface, etc etc. The path then took
    me under a dual carriageway and I suddenly became aware of the sheer NOISE of a modern busy road.
    Gawd 'elp all those who live beside one!